PDA

View Full Version : Toy Story Mania! is the official name, but the signage says "Midway Mania"

Darkbeer
03-22-2008, 07:08 AM
As I understand it...

The ride's OFFICIAL name is "Toy Story Mania!", and will be used on all Marketing, Advertising, Park Maps, etc. (Which is what the "Disney Parks" senior staff wants). For example, the Disneyland Resort released 2 different Press Releases the last couple of days that say "Toy Story Mania!"

http://www.disneylandnews.com/

But then when you walk up to the attraction, the signage on the Ride says "Midway Mania", which is what much of TDA and some in WDI wanted, supposedly including John Lassiter. (DCA version only, the WDW version will say "Toy Story Mania!")

Interesting compromise....

Here is a look at the sign installed Friday morning...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/4559703_w3fDz/16/268841329_CFaiG/Large

Gone2Disneyland
03-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Looking at your photo, my first impression is that the signage may blend in much more with what their anticipated look for the area will be. Adding the words "Toy Story", to me, could be overkill and take away from the general atmosphere they may be shooting for for the area in the near future.

As for the dual names, I think guests will end up calling Toy Story Mania after all the commercials we see calling it that and the obvious fact that Toy Story characters are all over the attraction. So Marketing "wins" that way anyway. But I like the aesthetic of "Midway Mania."

woody9six
03-22-2008, 08:21 AM
I actually saw the truck with the sign on it cruising down Harbor to deliver while I was on the Monorail Thursday night after the fireworks, and was tickled and a bit surprised to see it in place on Friday morning when I was in the Park. Seemed rather serendipitous to see it like that.

When I saw the sign that said "Midway Mania" I wondered/assumed it it was for the attraction, I agree with G2D that I like the aesthetic of not including the words "Toy Story"

bassett1976
03-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Maybe this is a good thing. People might pass over the new attraction thinking they are looking for another building. That means that we can get on the attraction faster.

Ok, it's probably wishful thinking...

bradk
03-22-2008, 01:59 PM
it was my understanding initially that it'd be midway mania in one park and toy story mania in the other and i never really saw a problem with it (the name is right for paradise pier, but wouldn't really work at pixar place, although i guess it could work too).

it's not really without precedent either though other than these two are identical, but buzz lightyear exists on both sides with different names and is essentially the same. even worse is how BLAB is a name of a game at DisneyQuest which is really nothing like either.

MermaidHair
03-22-2008, 02:20 PM
I like the name Midway Mania better but I agree that it could confuse the average guest. I wonder what the maps will say. Do they say anything now (like "TSM Opening June 2008"?)

AVP
03-22-2008, 02:42 PM
The store at the attraction's exit is the Midway Mercantile.

olegc
03-22-2008, 03:16 PM
looking at Darkbeer's photo there still appears to be room to put something in the oval above the Midway Mania sign. maybe it's a placeholder....

Baloo
03-22-2008, 04:21 PM
The official attractions name is and always was Toy story MIDWAY MANIA.

The YOMD media name is toy story mania. It was decided to give both attractions an equal name to help make the tie within the campaign much more easily understandable by the media.

DCA's attraction was walways considered to be what WDI had named it since the day the attraction was designed and concieved for that park.

AaronInCal
03-23-2008, 06:00 AM
Once Midway Mania opens, the marketing for it is supposed to switch to where everything states "Toy Story Midway Mania!" That includes billboards, commercials, and in the guide maps. Up until then, they will still just say Toy Story Mania to simplify the marketing for both parks.

bradk
03-23-2008, 06:38 AM
oh.. and not to mention... Soarin' (Over California).. same attraction, two (technically) different names. they even used the same pre-show video with minor audio editing

splash
03-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Can't wait for this one to open!!

dznyphreak
03-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Can't wait for this one to open!!
Me too! I don't care what the name is, just GET IT OPEN!!!!

Heffalump
03-23-2008, 02:36 PM
I thought it was going to be called Midway Mania all along. Is the whole area going to be called Toy Story Midway Mania? I think I am confused.

Baloo
03-23-2008, 07:40 PM
the attraction itself will be called "toy Story Midway Mania" The whole land will still have the "Paradise Pier" name.

like AaronInCal said, the idea is to change all the advertising, billboards and maps to the actuall attractions name after the launch of the attractions.

I believe the original poster is just confused and is probably trying to somehow validate the many times he insisted the name was going to be called Toy Story Mania because of his "connections"

percupgrl
03-23-2008, 09:26 PM
I believe the original poster is just confused and is probably trying to somehow validate the many times he insisted the name was going to be called Toy Story Mania because of his "connections"

I believe you should keep your snotty opinions to yourself. This site isn't a popularity contest, we're all here to help each other and to discuss issues such as this. Snide remarks are not particularly welcome. Thank you.

AVP
03-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Oleg was right - the "blank" spot in the sign now reads "Toy Story," so the attraction's full name APPEARS to be Toy Story Midway Mania.

Talk amongst yourselves....

clockworkmonkey
03-24-2008, 09:01 AM
That's a mouthful. Hopefully the ride has as much going on as the name!