PDA

View Full Version : Pixar Play Parade at DCA canceled 3/20/08 (Thursday), Friday the 21st, and maybe more

Darkbeer
03-20-2008, 09:52 PM
Due to a problem with the Bug's Life float, in which a piece of the float broke off during Wednesday's nights performance, the Parade is currently "cancelled" due to technical reasons until the can figure out a "safe" solution to the problem. At the same time, they are also looking at a way to tone down the amount of water being used, as that is another safety issue.

Cancelling a parade during Peak Easter Break is a major issue, and should not be taken lightly. Here is hoping that Disney figures out a way to solve the problems, and allow the guests to watch the parade in a safe, and not causing the pathways to be slippery!

Baloo
03-20-2008, 11:00 PM
i really doubt that the water level is an issue.

The floats were designed with water control valves. They could easily change the amount of water being used. The first few days the parade was only shotting water at 70 to 75% capability. That water level could be decreased easily.

That really is a non issue.

Another Dimension
03-21-2008, 04:57 AM
A piece of a TDL parade float (Buzz Lightyear unit) broke off during a performance not too long ago... and now a piece of a DCA parade float breaks off during a performance...

:eek:

I really hope no Guests or CM's were hurt.

Wallad1075
03-21-2008, 07:01 AM

I agree. I doubt with all the fascniating minds of the imangineers and technology at their fingertips, the control of water spray from a spicket is most likely not the #1 issue at hand here. If they need to spend prescious time to determine this, I'm second guessing the $1 billion investment.

Lefty loosey, righty tighty! :D

getaholdof chandler
03-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Yeah, we were quite disappointed that is was cancelled. We are AP's and missed being able to come up last week for the preview. Made the journey yesterday specifically for the Pixar Play Parade.

We were a little less disappointed after tasting some wine though :)

Matterhorn Yodeler
03-21-2008, 11:34 AM
What part broke off of the float?

dz4dsny
03-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Is it the water on the float or the water being shot. We were there Wednesday (missed the part falling off), but what we noticed was how wet the ground was, and because of the bubbles and suds (some kids and blankets were covered in suds), the wet ground was slippery to walk on.

AaronInCal
03-21-2008, 05:32 PM
One of the swings in the middle of the Bugs Life float broke. The performer on the swing noticed something was wrong and stopped the swing and jumped off just before it broke and fell straight down, onto the float. It then rolled off onto the parade route. No one, guests or CMs, were injured. Now they are going over the entire parade again to make sure it is safe and make an necessary fixes, especially on the Bugs Life float, obviously. That is why it was cancelled Thursday and Friday.

Jon
03-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Wow, that would have been pretty horrific. Those swings are up pretty high.

MauiMickey
03-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Wow, we watched the Play Parade on Wednesday night (very cute parade, BTW), and everything was in working order when the Bug's Life float went by us. I hope they are able to fix the problem and make things safe for everyone!

Darkbeer
03-22-2008, 03:49 AM
Both Saturday and Sunday's performances have been cancelled.

And here is an official response from the Disneyland PR department (Sent Friday Morning)...

During the March 19 performance of the Pixar Play Parade at Disney's
California Adventure, one of the pendulum swings onboard a float vehicle
came unhooked from its post. No Cast Members or Guests were injured.
In an abundance of caution, we temporarily suspended performances of the
Pixar Play Parade on March 20 and 21 to allow for further inspection and
evaluation.

mstaft
03-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks, Darkbeer, for the photos! (As always...by the way, I mentioned you in my blog...)

www.insightsandsounds.blogspot.com

woody9six
03-22-2008, 11:35 AM

The floats were designed with water control valves. They could easily change the amount of water being used. The first few days the parade was only shotting water at 70 to 75% capability. That water level could be decreased easily.

That really is a non issue.
Perhaps they are trying to figure out how much to use. We saw the parade on Wednesday and every float shoots water at the crowd, which, besides being pretty annoying, created quite a bit of water on the ground. Also, one of the floats spews out soap suds from the top and I am sure that creates a pretty slippery mess. So how much water comes out would only solve part of the problem. How often it is shot, and from how many floats would need to be considered as well.

Besides, I think Darkbeer indicated that the primary issue is with the safety of the float hardware not the water. I would go with minor issue as opposed to non-issue. :D

AVP
03-22-2008, 03:46 PM
It looks like the parade is down for the rest of the week - no official word when it will return.

AVP

Baloo
03-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Perhaps they are trying to figure out how much to use. We saw the parade on Wednesday and every float shoots water at the crowd, which, besides being pretty annoying, created quite a bit of water on the ground. Also, one of the floats spews out soap suds from the top and I am sure that creates a pretty slippery mess. So how much water comes out would only solve part of the problem. How often it is shot, and from how many floats would need to be considered as well.

Besides, I think Darkbeer indicated that the primary issue is with the safety of the float hardware not the water. I would go with minor issue as opposed to non-issue. :D

maybe but the floats also have timing sequences that tell it how often to shoot the water. so no that is really not an issue. its just a matter of adjusting that. That is the whole reason parades go thru soft openings like this one. The parade is not even being advertised yet until the 2fer has passed.

I also found this statement a bit overly dramatic

"Cancelling a parade during Peak Easter Break is a major issue, and should not be taken lightly"

Its not like the crowds died all of a sudden or the as if the world stopped turning.

Cancelling the parade is not good after its premier but it really is not a major issue. Parade cancellations have happened before besides that DCA has two parades and DEP is still showing

Tammy77
03-24-2008, 09:38 AM
I was bummed! We we're looking forward to seeing it hope it will be ok in june,:crying:

Darkbeer
03-24-2008, 12:37 PM
The Parade once again got cancelled on Monday, March 24th.

No return date has been scheduled.

AVP
03-24-2008, 01:57 PM
The Parade once again got cancelled on Monday, March 24th.

No return date has been scheduled.Yep, I included that in this morning's Disneyland Park Update. The "official" word from Disney is that this is a day-by-day decision. The "rumor" is that the parade performers were told they are off until at least Wednesday.

AVP

AVP
03-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Just got word that the parade will return Wednesday, 3/26

AVP

HisKid
03-26-2008, 06:07 PM
The parade did, in fact, return today. My family watched it and thought it was great (although the little guy did NOT appreciate the water in his face). The Flik/Atta/Bugs Life float and any additional related performers were completely absent from the parade. Other than that, the show went on as normal, as far as I could tell.

HisKid
03-26-2008, 06:07 PM
BTW, is it wrong to use your 3yo as a human shield? I mean, he was standing in my lap anyway, but I definitely hid my face behind him for a lot of the water, lol.

Baloo
03-26-2008, 08:01 PM
well hopefully they get that float fixed soon and put it backinto the parade. Its probably the best of the floats

AaronInCal
03-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Yes, the Bugs Life float is my favorite float. Colorful and loved all the movement on it. When I heard that's the one that had the problem, I thought for sure those goes all that movement.. I really hope it comes back looking and performing the same.

Heffalump
03-29-2008, 03:28 PM
I am very glad to hear the parade is coming back. I was afraid it could be a long time to fix it.