PDA

View Full Version : Milionaire Tricks?

MonorailMan
09-07-2002, 02:28 AM
I really want to get in the hot seat on my next DL trip. Are there any tricks to getting into that seat? :confused:

tod
09-07-2002, 08:54 AM
The hardest part is knowing the answers. I could tell you about "tricks" like pushing the button repeatedly but if you push the wrong button it doesn't help. The repeated-push gimmick may not work anyway: my autistic son just holds in the button and he does quite well.

We went to Guest Relations and got the rules, and found out that the score is based on accuracy and speed, but a wrong answer gets no points so accuracy is obviously more important. So take a moment to be right rather than hitting the wrong button quickly.

Personally, I'm going to start mashing the buttons at random for the Fastest Finger because every person who gets in the Hot Seat did just that. Reading the question and figuring out the answer seems to be a waste of time there.

Good luck.

-T

Iceman
09-07-2002, 10:12 AM
I agree that the fastest finger question is pretty random. But after that, when someone chokes out of the hot seat and they go to the top scorer in the audience, skill seems to be very much involved. You have to read the question and know the answer before the host gets to the "D" choice, because that's when the keypads activate. Hit the button fast, but you have to pretty much get them all correct right away to have a chance!

haiderodes
09-07-2002, 10:45 AM
I agree with what has been said...there are no real "tricks" per se....

You must know the answers. The fastest finger is all up to speed. That is why so many little kids end up in the hot seat right off the bat...its all by guessing.

There is a trick to getting ring of fire seats tho...show up early! Sometimes, like I learned back in August, that you often have a better chance of getting ring of fire if you just get into the standby line. There seems to be less people on that side so a greater chance of getting the trivia.

The key to being accurate and quick is knowing the answer by the time they read answer C as that is when the keypads light up.

Kimi_Coconuts
09-07-2002, 04:20 PM
Just wanted to say the last time we were at DCA my husband rang in first with the fastest finger question and he knew the answer. He's incredibly fast at thinking and reacting, he knew it so fast.

We'll be there again this week, his goal is to be in the hot seat again. BTW, while the next guest was in the hot seat I was at the top for the next person, but she didn't lose before time ran out. I never missed a question and pushed the button immediately and repeatedly.

Was a lot of fun seeing my husband on stage but I didn't really want to be up there, I felt like I was going to be sick if I ended up in the seat, I know that's crazy.

mcampisi
09-07-2002, 11:32 PM
I have gone to Play It 5 times in the last 12 months. I go with the "jam like crazy on the button" theory. My results:

1st time- Didn't make it
2st time - 3rd place at end of show
3rd time - Hot Seat up to 250K question
4th time - 2nd place at end of show
5th time - 3rd place at end of show (2nd at end of first contestant)

But usually what blew it for me was jamming on a button thinking I had the right answer and realizing that it was "D" after all, and then it was too late. Of couse, not knowing the answer doesn't help!!

The first 5 questions are usually super-simple so a lot of people get them right. I find if I can get the first 8 right (assuming the contestant in the hot seat STAYS there) that's when you start to see the same numbers appear on the board over and over.

BTT
09-08-2002, 12:07 AM
I'd like to say that because I won last September that I haven't been trying, but I did get back in the hot seat in mid-March (bombed at 8000 on a tough question that led to "Magic Lantern" as the answer which the host thought was the gag answer). So, with humility still fully intact...this has been my attitude regarding getting into the hot seat.

Screw the fastest finger question. 600 people, 23 possible combinations (24 total - "ABCD", which will NEVER be the answer...if it is I'll eat this keyboard)...anyway, random guessing will always be your foe on this question. At one point, one show I went to in late July the FF was won by a 4 year old pushing buttons...yet she knew to place four Aaron Spelling shows in the right order, and the latest one was in the '80s. So unless your reaction time is just short of The Flash, forget it.

Which leads to the actual question answering portion of the show. The MOST IMPORTANT aspect is: get the question right. Pure and simple...when its right, there are bonus points...if you're wrong, then there are ZERO points.

Within that, some other thoughts. If you want to try a good fake out, and you know the answer to the question before the choices are listed, press buttons early but be ready to hit the right button when "D" is revealed. Some people actually listen for clicking as the key. A bit sinister, but then again it's a game.

Also, if you know the answer, and it hasn't shown by answer C, push D like mad...the timer starts as soon as D is revealed, and it's a fairly large bonus pool that counts down once the clock starts.

So there you have it...I'll be trying again, once September 16th passes by. I'd prefer to try it over in Orlando, but I've got a job here, so that precludes any long trip right now. Good luck to everyone else.

Ben

Nigel2
09-08-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by BTT
Screw the fastest finger question. 600 people, 23 possible combinations (24 total - "ABCD", which will NEVER be the answer...if it is I'll eat this keyboard)...

Would you like some steak sauce with that?:D Never say never on something like that because I am sure it has happend, I think it may have even happend on one of the times I went there. (It's been a while)

But really there aren't any tricks outside or the ring of fire seats since you can read the question and think about it before the choices are read.

BTT
09-08-2002, 12:28 AM
Would you like some steak sauce with that? Never say never on something like that because I am sure it has happend, I think it may have even happend on one of the times I went there. (It's been a while)

While I understand the argument of probability and such, remember that most if not all of the questions come from the original Millionaire and its database...on the show, they specifically wanted to avoid the possibility of a result based on hitting the four in a row.

The only time I recall them doing ABCD on the show was when Norm MacDonald was the last guy on the 2nd celebrity series, and his last FF question was "Put the following letters in order to spell the first name of a Saturday Night Live cast member (or something like that)":
A) N
B) O
C) R
D) M

Ben

Nigel2
09-08-2002, 12:34 AM
The questions come from the real show? Interesting... then again I stoped watching the show when it was on almost every night. I think the last time I watched it was when a friend was on.

TerryTiger
09-09-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by BTT
Screw the fastest finger question. 600 people, 23 possible combinations (24 total - "ABCD", which will NEVER be the answer...if it is I'll eat this keyboard)...

Sorry to disagree, but I've seen ABCD as the correct answer twice and DCBA 3 times on the fastest finger question. My recommendation is to pick a sequence and use it every time you go. Eventually yours will be up there and you'll be in the hotseat.

-or-

go with a group of 23 other people and everyone pick a different sequence to use. One of you will then be up there.

BTT
09-09-2002, 11:57 PM
Never said DCBA wouldn't be a correct response...only ABCD.

MonorailMan
09-10-2002, 03:46 PM
My Order:
BCDA

rexfarms
09-10-2002, 05:13 PM
what about DCAB? lol:)