PDA

View Full Version : Cool DRR conductors

Pages : [1] 2

ishthroat
09-06-2002, 08:33 PM
Well since I won't be doing my stupendous and spectacular DRR "Train Sitting" for a while (it will be in refurb for a month) I wanted to at least sare with you a pic that I got with the coolest conductors Disneyland has.

Here is the pic of me (poking head from behind), my "lil" brother, and the conductors. (http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/tiffandrobsemail/vwp?.dir=/Disneyland+Pix&.src=ph&.dnm=dlandconductors.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/tiffandrobsemail/lst%3f%26.dir=/Disneyland%2bPix%26.src=ph%26.view=t)

Laffite
09-06-2002, 09:02 PM
Being a DRR conductor seems like a cool job, quite relaxing it seems if you like trains. Do you have to go through something special or are conductors like any other CMs?

What about the engineers?

ishthroat
09-06-2002, 09:24 PM
Good questions I don't know. I know some of them have suggested I try and get a job as a conductor since I spend so much of my "free" time on it.

Originally posted by Laffite
Being a DRR conductor seems like a cool job, quite relaxing it seems if you like trains. Do you have to go through something special or are conductors like any other CMs?

What about the engineers?

innerSpaceman
09-07-2002, 06:43 AM
Sorry to hear that your record-breaking train sit was delayed, ishman. Maybe you can reschedule after the rehab for a Sunday. That way, mouse padders could ride the rails with you for a while.

Mickeyslittlehelper
09-07-2002, 08:54 AM
I rode it 3 days ago. I love the RR. My faviorite conductor is James.

Laffite
09-07-2002, 09:59 AM
I'll be there Sunday to do some surveying. I'm guessing that it'll be a slow day so I'll either hang out on the Mark Twain (or Columbia if it opens), or on one of the train (hopefully my favorite, CK Holiday! :D ).

rexfarms
09-07-2002, 11:27 AM
I'll be there Sunday to do some surveying.

Surveying?:confused: :)

Laffite
09-07-2002, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms
Surveying?:confused: :)

ya' heard me :)

rexfarms
09-07-2002, 12:27 PM
ya' heard me :)

hehe explain please :)

Laffite
09-07-2002, 12:46 PM
I'm going to be working on a project on DRR with the Carolwood (http://www.carolwood.com/) so I need to take some good, close looks at some of their locomotives and "take notes" on the details :) .

I'm also going to do some research on one of the most under-appreciated "ride", the Columbia (just how many pages do you see on DL's SS Columbia out there! :crying: ) as well as the Mark Twain. I felt in love with those two when I was very young and I still love them.

If I have anytime left I'll do the same with other landmarks.

Oh yes, then I have to do the "Where's Mickey" pin event. A lot to do for a SUNDAY! lol :)

smd4
09-08-2002, 05:36 PM
Laffite,

You do have to go through different "training." The steam trains are heavy, moving objects that cannot stop on a dime. Also, you have dozens, sometimes hundreds, of people moving around and near them. The conductors are trained in a variety of crowd control and safety techniques, and to always keep their eyes on the peole waiting for the train as it arrives at the stations.

The "Front Conductor" is actually in charge of the entire train, and it cannot move until the engineer gets his "go ahead." That's why he say's "All Aboard!" It isn't just for show. He can also stop the train, using hidden buttons on the cars that ring a small gong-shaped bell in the locomotive cabs. Slang for his position is "Captain."

Conductors were trained at one time to get a train unloaded and loaded in two minutes; Their motto: People wait for trains. Trains don't wait for people.

The old saw is that people often become oblivious to things when they enter Disneyland. Many conductor's can back that up.

One of the conductors I interviewed for my forthcoming book on the Disneyland Railroad told about the time he was the front conductor on a train coming into Frontierland/NOS station. Through the tunnel, he could see an object on the track. His responsiblilty in this situation is to run forward, past the moving engine, and clear the platform as the train continues to roll in. The fact that the engineer had also seen the danger was revealed as the whistle began a loud, continuous screetch. When the conductor got to the "Object" he couldn't believe his eyes. A small girl was laying down on the platform, resting her ear on the rail, facing AWAY from the train! Her parents (if you can call 'em that) had told her that she could hear the train coming if she put her ear to the rail!

The conductor grabbed he girl off the track in plenty of time to avert disaster, but certainly gave the parents an earful on railroad safety! (They no doubt complained about the "nasty" conductor at City Hall...).

smd4
09-08-2002, 05:41 PM
Laffite,

You do have to go through different "training." The steam trains are heavy, moving objects that cannot stop on a dime. Also, you have dozens, sometimes hundreds, of people moving around and near them. The conductors are trained in a variety of crowd control and safety techniques, and to always keep their eyes on the people waiting for the train as it arrives at the stations.

The "Front Conductor" is actually in charge of the entire train, and it cannot move until the engineer gets his "go ahead." That's why he say's "All Aboard!" It isn't just for show. He can also stop the train, using hidden buttons on the cars that ring a small gong-shaped bell in the locomotive cabs. Slang for his position is "Captain."

Conductors were trained at one time to get a train unloaded and loaded in two minutes; Their motto: People wait for trains. Trains don't wait for people.

The old saw is that people often become oblivious to things when they enter Disneyland. Many conductor's can back that up.

One of the conductors I interviewed for my forthcoming book on the Disneyland Railroad told about the time he was the front conductor on a train coming into Frontierland/NOS station. Through the tunnel, he could see an object on the track. His responsiblilty in this situation is to run forward, past the moving engine, and clear the platform as the train continues to roll in. The fact that the engineer had also seen the danger was revealed as the whistle began a loud, continuous screetch. When the conductor got to the "Object" he couldn't believe his eyes. A small girl was laying down on the platform, resting her ear on the rail, facing AWAY from the train! Her parents (if you can call 'em that) had told her that she could hear the train coming if she put her ear to the rail!

The conductor grabbed he girl off the track in plenty of time to avert disaster, but certainly gave the parents an earful on railroad safety! (They no doubt complained about the "nasty" conductor at City Hall...)

Brad
09-08-2002, 05:42 PM
I like conductor Mike.

And I am SO glad I can ctually say that here-unlike ANOTHER supposedly happy place where my comment was admined.

The fact is-he is SO darned cute and has THE CUTEST smile.

Keep up the good work Mike!!!!

rexfarms
09-08-2002, 05:57 PM
I love the Retlaw attractions. The Monorail and DLRR are great attractions that I would like to work on, if I did want to work attractions. I rather work Guest Relations, how hard is that to get hired into? What all goes into working Guest Relations?:)

Laffite
09-08-2002, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by smd4
Laffite,

You do have to go through different "training." The steam trains are heavy, moving objects that cannot stop on a dime. Also, you have dozens, sometimes hundreds, of people moving around and near them. The conductors are trained in a variety of crowd control and safety techniques, and to always keep their eyes on the people waiting for the train as it arrives at the stations.

The conductor grabbed he girl off the track in plenty of time to avert disaster, but certainly gave the parents an earful on railroad safety! (They no doubt complained about the "nasty" conductor at City Hall...)

Hi Steve. So the engineers get trained by Disney? As if they send in their apps and get interviewed like any other CMs, then get trained by DL? Or does DL only hire people that already knows how to operate a locomotive for that position? Most, if not all, of the engineers I've seen are well into retirement age. I had always assumed that those are people that had worked for "real" railroad companies before operating locomotives, and decided to spend their retirement driving fun little steam engines.

Not sure if you got what I'm asking, but whatever. :)

smd4
09-08-2002, 06:59 PM
Well, Disney tends not to like to hire people who have much steam backrgound, although that does not preclude getting hired. At least one CM used to work as an engineer at Knotts, and several others have related skills, like knowing how to operate steam boilers used in building heating systrems, etc.

Most of the Steam Train CM's get their skills through "OJT:" on The Job Training. They start out by riding the engine with experienced crews for a few days, before they are taught to "fire" the engine. This is where the real skills in operating a steam locomotive come from. After they've masterd the controls on the left side of the cab, they are allowed to "pull" (the throttle) on the right side--while supervised with experience CM's. Eventually, they become full-fledged operating engineers.

It's a difficult program to get into. Layoffs during the off-season, when the number aof trains used gets cut by 1/3 or 1/2, are common. Thankfully, older, retired folks can often weather these lay-off perods better than someone young, who need to support themselves and often a family. This is why you rarely see young people runnin' the line. But if you ride often enough, you will see folks in their twenties, thirties, and forties.

Disney doesn't really want anyone who only wants to run the engines because they are "fun little steam engines." These are real steam locomotives, running at 125 psi, and must be operated with a lot of diligence and care. If someone who is ill-trained makes the right sequence of errors, the steam engine could blow up, gauranteed to kill at least the engineer and fireman, and anyone else who might be under the 5 ton boiler when it lands 1/4 mile away.

If you're a conductor who shows enough interest, you might be able to transition into the progam. Generally, the steam train cast members (excluding the conductors) are really a "boys club;" but recently, the first femal engineer made it up the ranks. There are a few more firing, and you can see thm on occasion in the cabs as well.

Hope this answers your questions, Laffite.

Morrigoon
09-08-2002, 07:38 PM
What's the pay scale for them? Is it the basic attractions pay?

Laffite
09-08-2002, 07:42 PM

Disney doesn't really want anyone who only wants to run the engines because they are "fun little steam engines." These are real steam locomotives,

Right. I understand that they are real, fully operational engines. Sorry if I miss-cast the "fun little steam engines" phrase. But I mean..you got to love them because...well...they are "fun little steam engines". Sorry for lack of better wording :)

smd4
09-08-2002, 07:59 PM
Oh, I know what you meant, Laffite. I know you know about 'em. I really wrote that for folks who might not be aware (and there are plenty of those folks, who think the engines are fake and the crew are just there for show). Sorry if I worded that a little strongly. They are little. And they are, indeed, fun!

The pay scale is definitely more. as a roundhouse mechanic/operating engineer, you might top out around $45-50,000, w/ full benfits and no lay-offs. You have to be union, though, and work there at least 5 or 6 years.

Morrigoon
09-08-2002, 08:01 PM
And disney trains you do be an operating engineer?

smd4
09-08-2002, 08:23 PM
Yup.

Laffite
09-08-2002, 08:44 PM

The pay scale is definitely more. as a roundhouse mechanic/operating engineer, you might top out around $45-50,000, w/ full benfits and no lay-offs. You have to be union, though, and work there at least 5 or 6 years.

Wow. So you can actually make an average living with those things. That's a lot of pay considering they're CMs.

BTW, I'm compiling a list of questions for your drawing. Mostly from unclear details like hexagondinal vs round bolts, and etc. I'll send them tomorrow since you can't get emails tonight.

smd4
09-09-2002, 08:52 AM
Another "fun" conductor story:

One time, while riding the "Holiday Red" train (the brown cars with the red and white striped awnings), one of the conductors was riding the safety postion near the rear of the train, as the train entered the Grand Canyon diorama. As the light dimmed, the conductor caught a glimpse of something unusual out of the corner of his eye.

He turned to look just in time to see a father in the back row of seats lift his youngster, who was maybe 3 or 4, onto his shoulders. Before the conductor could say anything, the child lost his balance and fell out of the moving train!! In an instant, the conductor rang the emergency stop bell, and the train came to a halt a few feet later. The boy was found, none the worse from wear, and not nearly as shaken as the conductor was!

danyoung
09-09-2002, 12:56 PM
This would be a good thread to post one of my pet peeves - DRR conductors who think they're Jungle Cruise captains! The ride already has a narration, by no less than the immortal Thurl Ravenscroft. When I ride I want to hear HIM, not some high school kid who thinks he's funny. Bad form - BAD show!!!

smd4
09-09-2002, 01:22 PM
I think the reason for all the ad-libbing is because many of the things the spiel spoke of no longer exist: Big Thunder Ranch, the burning settler's cabin, etc. The ad-libs generally run over these now-obsolete passages.