PDA

View Full Version : Creepy music at DCA!

merlinjones
09-06-2002, 06:05 AM
The relentless Paradise Pier and California Screamin' soundtracks at DCA really creep me out.

The synthesiser attempt to create carnival organ music merged with pop tunes has instead created a "Scooby's Scary Island" sort of super loud and aggressive, cheesy and sickengly creepy psycho haunted amusement park effect.

I think they'd do much better with real tracks of Surf instrumentals from The Ventures, Surfaris, etc.

justagrrl
09-06-2002, 06:47 AM
Oh Merlin - you hate everything about DCA don't ya? ;)

RStar
09-06-2002, 07:38 AM
I'm surprized to hear you were there at all!;)

I did'nt realy notice the "creepyness" of the music. Unfortunatly, I can't remember the music much at all. Must not be memorable at all. I can whistle or hum to all of the Main St. music at DL, and sing the CA songs at DCA's main plaza. What does that say about that area's music?:(

I agree about your suggestion.

teri
09-06-2002, 07:43 AM
It is indelibly etched into my memory, from having heard it morning to night from our PP view rooms at the Paradise Pier Hotel.

Some variety would be nice.

JeffG
09-06-2002, 08:51 AM
I think the music loop in Paradise Pier is a little short, but otherwise I like it very much. I think it adds tremendously to the atmosphere in the area and I love the way it changes in style to match the part of the pier you are in. That is a very Disney touch.

As for the music on "Screamin'", I think it is great and adds tremendously to the ride.

-Jeff

merlinjones
09-06-2002, 09:09 AM
Well... I feel the authentic Dumbo Calliope in Fantasyland makes charming and period carnival type music - - where the dissonant agressive synthesiser attack at DCA seems to portend doom from some low-budget slasher zombie-carnival pic.

mousey_girl
09-06-2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Well... I feel the authentic Dumbo Calliope in Fantasyland makes charming and period carnival type music - - where the dissonant agressive synthesiser attack at DCA seems to portend doom from some low-budget slasher zombie-carnival pic.

We never made it to that part of DCA last year, but we will this year.

Now I am going to have sceens from that awful movie, Killer Clowns from Outer Space, running through my head the entire time!! :eek:

merlinjones
09-06-2002, 09:42 AM
>>Now I am going to have sceens from that awful movie, Killer Clowns from Outer Space, running through my head the entire time!! >.

Pretty good desciption of my usual experience at PP.

innerSpaceman
09-06-2002, 10:27 AM
The 'Killer Clowns' effect of the PP music is what Makes It for me. The creepy carnival effect makes for a much more potent and, to me, enjoyable theme than the happy, peppy seaside amusement park theme they thought they were creating.

merlinjones
09-06-2002, 10:37 AM
>>The 'Killer Clowns' effect of the PP music is what Makes It for me. The creepy carnival effect makes for a much more potent and, to me, enjoyable theme than the happy, peppy seaside amusement park theme they thought they were creating.<<

Then I guess it is sheer Fortuosity that it's usually deserted too (to complete the effect)!

Pressler was a poet and didn't know it!

Not My Real Name
09-06-2002, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by JeffG
As for the music on "Screamin'", I think it is great and adds tremendously to the ride.The last time I rode, there was no music. :( :crying: :mad:

cstephens
09-06-2002, 11:45 AM
I love the music in Paradise Pier, the re-orchestrations of songs into fun, bouncy versions. On our first visit to DCA, the music in that area was one of the many things that impressed me about Paradise Pier and is one of the things that I love about that area.

Lost Boy
09-06-2002, 10:03 PM
I love the music in Paradise Pier especially the versions that play by the different areas over by Orange Stinger (Humming Bees along with the music) and Jumpin Jellyfish (bubbles that match the music).

I am really a big, big Disneyland fan. I think you all know me well enough by now to have figured that out. I went into DCA will every expectation of hating it, especially after reading all the negative posts about it. But, I loved it. Imperfections and all, I really enjoy the place. I don't know what it is about DCA, but I do find myself over there a lot, especially in the afternoons when I've been on every ride in the morning over at Disneyland, and it's getting so crowded over at DL that it's hard to move. DCA has such room, and wide walkways, and it isnt' crowded. It's a great place to go and take in the sights, and sounds. And a few things like the Animation Exhibit, It's Tough to be a Bug, Muppets, Calif Screamin (I love that music too) and just people watch, and relax, and then go back to DL for the night shows and Fireworks. It's not Disneyland - It was never intended to be Disneyland - and it never will be Disneyland. You have to go with a postive attitude and an open mind. I know it isn't perfect, not by a longshot. I am not stupid. It needs lots of help. And they made a big mistake by limiting the theme to California. But still, it is a nice place to visit and relax and have some fun. And they have some neat entertainment over there too. I wish the food was better and cheaper, but I like the ice cream place and the bakery place in the Train. So, all in all, I do love Disneyland more than any other Disney Park, and I would place DCA at the bottom of any list of all Disney Theme Parks. But, I like the place.
Nuff Said.:p

Allysen1Derland
09-07-2002, 04:37 AM
Is it really that creepy?!?! I've never noticed!! Now I have to go to DCA and listen!!

All I can picture while reading this thread is the carnival scene in the "Lost Boys" movie! Psycho merry-go-round music!