PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Space Mountain Cast Member jacket?

Pages : [1] 2

ShirleyFilms
03-20-2008, 09:00 AM
Other than EBAY... does anyone know where I might be able to get a hold of one of the long sleeved jackets that the Space Mountain cast members wear?

Thanks!

SF

MammaSilva
03-20-2008, 09:04 AM
Are you talking about the current costume assigned to CM's working Space Mountain? Any source you find you do realize you're dealing in stolen goods right? The CM's don't purchase their costumes, they are assigned pieces and now with the fast track system for many, they have a few sets assigned that they rotate in/out with the costume people for laundry purposes or repair but Disney company owns all those jackets. Unless you managed to buy it from a Disney approved source which is highly unlikely.

ShirleyFilms
03-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Interesting.

Bytebear
03-20-2008, 09:11 AM
You may be able to find a decent seamstress and aproximate the outfit. But, there is a very good reason they do not sell clothing that matches costumes. I am sure you can imagine what that is.

cookie7762
03-20-2008, 05:59 PM
so what about like this?:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Disneyland-Cast-Member-XL-Uniform-Jacket_W0QQitemZ300208448416QQihZ020QQcategoryZ380 05QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Autopia Guy
03-20-2008, 07:03 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Disneyland-Cast-Member-XL-Uniform-Jacket_W0QQitemZ300208448416QQihZ020QQcategoryZ380 05QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As stated above, that is a STOLEN ITEM. I should have half a mind and tell my Management team about that so Disney can track it down.

There is a very good reason Disney keeps this stuff to them selves. Heck, its why they take (or are supposed to anyways) peoples name tags when they quit or get termed. Those in the wrong persons hands can do a huge amount of bad. Im not saying that you would do it, mind you. But that is the biggest reason I can think of for them to keep that kinda stuff in house only.

cookie7762
03-20-2008, 08:12 PM
As stated above, that is a STOLEN ITEM. I should have half a mind and tell my Management team about that so Disney can track it down.

There is a very good reason Disney keeps this stuff to them selves. Heck, its why they take (or are supposed to anyways) peoples name tags when they quit or get termed. Those in the wrong persons hands can do a huge amount of bad. Im not saying that you would do it, mind you. But that is the biggest reason I can think of for them to keep that kinda stuff in house only.

I would never purchase a stolen disneyland item. I was just curious to see just how many stolen items really were on ebay. There were two jackets like the one a previously posted.

ShirleyFilms
03-21-2008, 08:40 AM
I am a huge DL fan, but I had no idea about their policies regarding uniforms until I posted here. I doubt most people do either.

I just want a cool jacket. :)

Frankly, I find it a little suprising that they would go to such great lengths, since (as mentioned), a good tailor could make a copy for anyone who REALLY wanted to infiltrate Disneyland with malicious intent. I am sure any high-schooler who has made a fake ID would make quick work of a Cast Member name tag.

But, like I said, it is very interesting.

Heffalump
03-21-2008, 04:12 PM
How does the average person know if am item is stolen?

MammaSilva
03-21-2008, 05:45 PM
when you read the tag that says property of the Disneyland Resort, it just might give you a clue.

AVP
03-21-2008, 06:58 PM
How does the average person know if am item is stolen?Unless you buy it from Disney directly, I think you can assume that any current costume pieces are stolen.

I bought one of the giant playing cards that was used to decorate the castle while they repainted it before the 50th. I made sure to keep the bill of sale, so that I can prove I bought it legitimately from Disney, in case I ever want to sell it.

AVP

tod
03-21-2008, 07:33 PM
I was at a movie once when a guy strutted into the lobby wearing one of those dark-blue CM jackets, the ones with the patch with the gothic "Disneyland" logo in yellow on blue and a blue castle on a white field.

The guy looked like a jerk/thief, but he did crystallize for me in one brief moment why I would never wear a jacket like that.

You can't wear it outside of Disneyland. You can't wear it in Disneyland.

You can't wear it anywhere.

--t

houseofmouse
03-22-2008, 11:37 AM

Did no one think to contact ebay? There are two of these for sale! One is an older Space Mountain Jacket. I sell on ebay and sent my concerns to them that these items may be stolen. :) I think it's terrible that people feel the need to steal these items and then try to make money off of it.

ShirleyFilms
03-22-2008, 01:12 PM
I think its a little presumptuous to assume that anyone selling a uniform from Disneyland KNOWS that it is stolen. As has been made clear, most of us wouldn't have known the rules of the situation had we not came here and asked.

Mattress tags say not to rip them off... I doubt people pay that much mind.

I am sure that there are a lot of "lost" costumes floating around out there. I doubt there is malicious intent behind them all.

houseofmouse
03-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah okay they may not know it is stolen but the tags inside say do not sell without written permission and yet they do it anyway?? I doubt Ebay will do anything anyway. Even if they got it legit, they should not sell them.

AVP
03-22-2008, 02:35 PM
Did no one think to contact ebay? I know that Disneyland security monitors eBay and discussion boards like MousePad. I don't know what arrangements they have with eBay - I've seen similar listings ended, I've known people who have bought costume pieces on eBay that nobody had any business selling, and I know of one situation where Disneyland security "bought" something like this on eBay so they could identify the seller. It seems like they can't / don't stop every auction like this.

The biggest problem with the current fast track costume process is that CMs can have up to three of most costume pieces, and it's impossible for Disney to ensure that the CM returns all of those pieces when they leave the company. It's entirely possible that this seller is a former CM, found the jacket after they left the company, and decided to sell it rather than return it. (The listing says the item is in MO, not CA, so maybe the seller moved?)

But, back to the original question, to the best of my knowledge, Disney does not sell current costume pieces to the general public. I once heard that they do sell / donate some used or retired costume pieces, especially heavy coats and such, but that such items have all Disney tags and patches removed from them prior to sale. (So you may be able to find a jacket like the one listed on eBay, but the Disneyland patch would have been removed)

I think its a little presumptuous to assume that anyone selling a uniform from Disneyland KNOWS that it is stolen. As has been made clear, most of us wouldn't have known the rules of the situation had we not came here and asked.

I assume anyone selling something knows where they got it, and whether they stole it or not. The BUYER may not know it was stolen, but the seller certainly knows where they got it. The BUYER may not know Disney's policy on costume pieces, but any CM who had access to such would certainly know. I don't consider that presumptuous, and I would not buy something like this without asking how the seller came to be in posession of it. (Just like the cotton candy cart from a previous discussion - I wouldn't buy that unless I knew the person had legitimately purchased it from Disney)

AVP

CV12Pirate
03-23-2008, 08:13 AM
Aww c'mon AVP. We both know people love to play dumb. Look at cops tv show, how many people come out of a store after robbing it and into the hands of cops. The cops show them the stores hidden camara and a video of them robbing said store. Then they say... that's not me.

Too funny.

ShirleyFilms
03-23-2008, 10:50 AM
I just think the whole conversation is funny.

It's a costume, for the love of Pete.

:)

As for the issue of presumption, there are thousands of people who unload hundreds of thousands of items on ebay. I think its perfectly reasonable to think that many of them are not going to care about checking the label/legality.

I wonder how many costume pieces from DLR are floating around Anaheim Goodwill shops unchecked. The missing/lost items that are never turned in by cast members have to be SOMEWHERE, after all. And my guess is that just because the tag says something, people are not going to go out of their way to return the item to Disneyland for proper destruction.

MammaSilva
03-23-2008, 11:27 AM
I just think the whole conversation is funny.

It's more than a costume, it's yet one more 'checks and balances' on our own personal moral codes. Everyone has a line and has to live with their choices. Not everyone will know that the costume piece is stolen from the company but if you do know and purchase it anyway, that's your moral standards not everyone elses.

dznyphreak
03-23-2008, 01:40 PM
It still baffles me how this happens...
After working last summer and noting how EVERY PIECE OF CLOTHING had at least a barcode and probably a Disneyland logo on it somewhere, I don't understand how this slips by. I know there are some dishonest people wherever you go, and any monitoring of all DL CM's would be an administrative nightmare, but each piece of clothing is digitally attached to your ID. Both are scanned each time you check out a costume piece, and the clothing is put back in the system when you return it. You can have up to three of each costume piece at a time, with the exception of things like hats and belts. If you've had a piece for too long, it shows up in red on costuming's screen. Sure, people do lose things, but come on. Stealing is stealing!

...and I DID get to keep my nametag after I quit over Thanksgiving. It's on my desk at school.

And AVP, aren't those cards huge? Do you have any pictures of it? I wish I had one (or the golden ears logo, for that matter).

Heffalump
03-23-2008, 02:30 PM
It really is good to know that a lot of those people on Ebay are selling stolen merchandise. I would not want to own it if it is stolen. Very sad that someone would take advantage of people in that way.

Wobble
03-23-2008, 02:54 PM

To you, it's just a costume. But to Disney, it's a liability. If someone with malicious intent gets hold of a Disney CM uniform, then what is to stop them from entering the park and doing some inappropriate? It is a strict liability for Disney to have costumes like this floating around.

Just as an example, I used to work at a pizza place. When I quit, I was required, by LAW, to return all of my work shirts, hats, aprons, etc. and they had records of ALL the shirts, hats, etc. that I had received. This was because delivery drivers wore the same outfits, so anyone who got hold of these items of clothing could show up at a house, pretending to have the wrong address and theoretically force their way in. Yes, it seems unlikely, but it does happen and it is a liability for any company.

ShirleyFilms
03-23-2008, 07:52 PM
It's more than a costume, it's yet one more 'checks and balances' on our own personal moral codes.

Wow.

TTFN92
03-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Do they hold your last paycheck until you turn in all of your uniform pieces? I would think that would be the only way to insure their return.

CV12Pirate
03-24-2008, 07:44 AM
We have to buy our uniforms. They don't give'm to us. And we all know if you don't pay for it, it's stealing.