PDA

View Full Version : Tiki Room Round-up

lisap
09-05-2002, 11:00 AM
Here's a fun little thing I saw this week while walking past the Tiki Room Tuesday Sept. 3rd:

Instead of a CM in Hawaiian garb inviting guests to try the Tiki Room as they sometimes do, there were two CMs in Adventureland costume working as a team to round up crowds for the attraction. One had a bamboo stick in his hand pointing and gesturing to guests saying "World Famous Tiki Room!! Eighteen minutes of air Conditioning!" (it was CRAZY hot that day, mind you)

The other CM was crouching behind the little half wall across from the attraction next to the pond and as people walked past would make a megaphone out of his hands and implore people to "stop and enjoy the most amazing attraction at Disneyland. Non-stop fun and AIR conditioning!"

They got a LOT of laughs and the seating area was filled every time I walked past.

Anyway, just wanted to share that. :)

Allysen1Derland
09-05-2002, 11:22 AM
That was such a cute & funny story! I like to see enthusiatic CM's who get the guests all excited!! :)

Everytime I've gone to DL this summer (usually in the early evening) the Tiki Room is a deserted ghost town! I almost expect to see a tumbleweed roll by! :(

I like the Tiki Room! I hope the enthusiasm gets it much more attention! :)

Laffite
09-05-2002, 11:33 AM
That Dole bar attracts quite a bit of a crowd as well. :) While buying/enjoying their drink they get drawn to the Tiki Room. Smart marketing :D

justagrrl
09-05-2002, 11:37 AM
I like to see the CM's enthusiastic like that. It really makes the entire Disneyland experience so much different then one where the CM is just some person manning the controls. I know everyone can't be that charismatic all the time, but I want to assure CM's that when they are, it really is noticed.

When the CM's at the HM are solumn (sp?) looking instead of grinning and chatty...
When the CM's at Jungle Cruise really ham it up instead of just recite lines...
When the CM's "perform" as an actor instead of as an employee it vastly enhances the experience.

mousey_girl
09-05-2002, 11:40 AM
I finally got the Hubby to go into the Tiki Room with me during our last trip. I was enjoying it, and then I started to hear a little low frequency rumble from the seat next to me. The Boy had fallen asleep!! The Hubby was not real happy with me for wanting to see it, and his mood didn't improve when he was stuck carrying a 50lb 4 year old around for the next 15 mins until he woke up all the way. I was told the next time I want to spend time with the Tiki's I will be doing it solo. :rolleyes:

Laffite
09-05-2002, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by justagrrl

When the CM's at the HM are solumn (sp?) looking instead of grinning and chatty...
When the CM's at Jungle Cruise really ham it up instead of just recite lines...
When the CM's "perform" as an actor instead of as an employee it vastly enhances the experience.

umm. well said. Even though we all know that the JC spiel are all the same, sometime it's very funny when the skipers really deliver it and it doesn't get that "it's gettin old" feeling.

A skipper lady translated the African tribe chanting as "we want the red heard....we want the red head" :D funny!:D (and there is a guy with a red fur hat standing there too :D )

danyoung
09-05-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Laffite
Even though we all know that the JC spiel are all the same......:D )

HUH? How many times have you been on the JC? There are similarities in style, but almost every time on over the years I hear at least one new line that I hadn't heard before. My all time favorite was one that I never heard again, for obvious reasons: "And here is the backside of Schweitzer Falls, named after the backside of Albert Schweitzer."

Of course, the CM's delivery is a HUGE element in the show. If you get a fun one that has a sense of comedic timing, the whole ride is twice the fun!

Ghoulish Delight
09-05-2002, 01:48 PM
A skipper lady translated the African tribe chanting as "we want the red heard....we want the red head" :D funny!:D (and there is a guy with a red fur hat standing there too :D ) Ha!! Never heard that one. That's great!

Not Afraid
09-05-2002, 02:10 PM
A skipper lady translated the African tribe chanting as "we want the red heard....we want the red head" :D funny!:D (and there is a guy with a red fur hat standing there too :D )

Oh man!!!!!! I need to experience that one in a big way!

I love the Tiki Room Barkers. Remember when Jose was out there doing that job? I was told they removed him because of the traffice jam he caused in the walkway.:rolleyes: (So Baloo and Rafiki don't do the same thing? Character Roadblock!)
I saw a CM with a monkey puppet out side the TR a while back. He looked rather real (the puppet) What a draw!

Cadaverous Pallor
09-05-2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by mousey_girl
I finally got the Hubby to go into the Tiki Room with me during our last trip. I was enjoying it, and then I started to hear a little low frequency rumble from the seat next to me. The Boy had fallen asleep!! The Hubby was not real happy with me for wanting to see it, and his mood didn't improve when he was stuck carrying a 50lb 4 year old around for the next 15 mins until he woke up all the way. I was told the next time I want to spend time with the Tiki's I will be doing it solo. :rolleyes:
:( This makes me sad and mad at the same time! How could any 4 year old fall asleep in such a cool attraction? It's disappointing. I guess he must've been worn out from his day at the park, and the darkened air conditioning was too much to resist.

Poor mousey! If you make it to a meet, we'll have to go on it. :)

Laffite
09-05-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by danyoung
HUH? How many times have you been on the JC? There are similarities in style, but almost every time on over the years I hear at least one new line that I hadn't heard before. My all time favorite was one that I never heard again, for obvious reasons: "And here is the backside of Schweitzer Falls, named after the backside of Albert Schweitzer."

Of course, the CM's delivery is a HUGE element in the show. If you get a fun one that has a sense of comedic timing, the whole ride is twice the fun!

I said the JC speils are all the same, and they are. They all follow the same script, same jokes. But CMs are human so they will add their own touches, but the base remains the same.

As for the we want the red head translation, it was from a mid-aged blonde skipper. I was in the back so I didn't catch her name. And I wasn't paying attention to her "My name is...and this is JC..." joke so I still didn't catch her name. At the dock somebody asked what happened to the gun (ie shooting hippos), she said they wouldn't let her have one because she was blonde :)

It's kidda sad though :( I missed those guns. Used to be so afraid of them when I was a kid :(

She was the "recite the lines" skippers and didn't really have the jokes her own. But the "we want the red head" was really funny so it made up for it.

My friend and I were the only ones laughing. Too bad nobody else got it. It was FUNNY! :D

Opps, this is Tiki Room thread. I'll shut up now....err...yes! Go Dole Pineapples! :)

danyoung
09-06-2002, 04:05 AM
I said the JC speils are all the same, and they are. They all follow the same script, same jokes. But CMs are human so they will add their own touches, but the base remains the same.

I guess we have a difference in semantics here. When you say the spiels are all the same, I guess you mean that they follow the same general format. For me, there is so much variation in that format (when one skipper will use the "survival of the fittest" line, the next one might offer "look at those lions guarding that sleeping zeebra!") that every ride is different for me. It's the one attraction in all the parks that is totally dependent on the personality of the skipper to make or break the show.

cindanzr
09-06-2002, 06:02 AM
I love the Tiki Room! Always have to beg the family to go and usually use the "it's air conditioned" as a bargaining chip.

Regarding JC, is it just me that remembers the CM's being reined in and told to stick to the script a few years back? Seems that they used to be much funnier. Now, with a few exceptions, the script is bsically the same. My personal fave from a female guide:

"And over there is where Indiana Jones is searching for treasure. I don't know why he's looking in there when I'm right here!"

Laffite
09-06-2002, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by cindanzr

"And over there is where Indiana Jones is searching for treasure. I don't know why he's looking in there when I'm right here!"

Cindanzr--we had the same skipper that I was speaking of. She was the one that translate the tribe chanting as "we want the red head".

cindanzr
09-06-2002, 02:33 PM
Cool, Lafitte, and I guess it just goes to show that "it's a small world after all!" (Groan!) And if I had been on your boat, I most certainly would have got the "redhead" reference and brought the number of those who got the in-joke up to three!

Sheila
09-06-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by cindanzr
Regarding JC, is it just me that remembers the CM's being reined in and told to stick to the script a few years back? Seems that they used to be much funnier. Now, with a few exceptions, the script is bsically the same

No, it's not just you. :) The script was toned down when the Indy ride was opened. They wanted to keep the script themed to the 1930's-type ambience so all "modern" references were banned.

Well, that's what I heard as the story..... ;)

Sheila

FF-Mountain
09-06-2002, 04:21 PM
I've gotta say the tiki room is probably #3 on my list of Must-Do's when I am by myself or with friends at disneyland. There is just something magical about the script and the music that I doubt could ever be improved on.

Just recently I had the chance to take some friends from Missouri to Disneyland and the first thing they did when they got home was find an mp3 of the tiki room songs. I've been told they play it so often everyone on their floor knows the words by now!

I will say the best time to go on the JC is at night though if you want improv. The last time I went on it, he uses his spotlight and the ships lights to bassically act out the starwars triology, it was hilarious!

downingfamily1
09-06-2002, 04:23 PM
I don't know if this exactly fits here, but it is a funny Tiki Room story. You can use it to keep finicky people in your party awake. My husband had not been in the Tiki room for a very long time and when we sat down his stool was able to turn in circles. I told him that it was a special stool and that it meant he would be part of the show. I assure you he was wide awake for the whole thing. He was also quite worried as to what was going to happen and when. I laugh every time I think of him sitting there waiting for something to embarass him. I know it was a little evil of me, but it was funny.:p

Durliin
09-06-2002, 05:31 PM
The Line I love to use to Draw people into the Tiki Room besides the Air conditioning one is "Come to the Tiki Room next show in 5 miutes now need to go to Splash mountain you will be waiting 3 days to ride that and you only have to wait 5 minutes here to see one of the Greatest Classics"