PDA

View Full Version : DRR spiel

Laffite
09-04-2002, 10:13 PM
When you come out of the "pre-historic" show room in the tunnel, the spiel makes a rather "obvious" announcement that we return back to the "20th century" at the exit. Does that bother anybody or find it amusing? :D I mean, he's only a century off right?

Are they really going to wait until DL 50th until they update it? It makes the park feel "outdated" and "behind". Literally.

Nigel2
09-04-2002, 10:33 PM
They probably don't bother to change anything right now since most of the speil is wrong for one reason or another. I wonder what year it is from?

ishthroat
09-04-2002, 10:38 PM
On my last 4hr ride on the DRR last Friday I asked a couple of the conductors and they did say they are working on a new spiel to be recorded by and I'll quote, "the same guy who does the new Haunted Mansion"

Originally posted by Laffite
When you come out of the "pre-historic" show room in the tunnel, the spiel makes a rather "obvious" announcement that we return back to the "20th century" at the exit. Does that bother anybody or find it amusing? :D I mean, he's only a century off right?

Are they really going to wait until DL 50th until they update it? It makes the park feel "outdated" and "behind". Literally.

Nigel2
09-04-2002, 10:42 PM
Oh you mean Cory Burton, he does a lot of Paul Frees' voices. Scratch that, he does a lot of voices period. I wonder why they don't use Thurl for it?

cemeinke
09-04-2002, 10:52 PM
I recall discussing this with some other Padders on past train ride. We came to the conclusion that since Main Street is set in the early 1900's (and thus the 20th Century) that the spiel was still okay since we're really returning to Main Street Station.

MonorailMan
09-05-2002, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Oh you mean Cory Burton, he does a lot of Paul Frees' voices. Scratch that, he does a lot of voices period. I wonder why they don't use Thurl for it?
Corey Burton is very good, (he also the voice in the new Ulitmate Ride) but should be leaving Thurl for it. :)

blusilva
09-05-2002, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
I recall discussing this with some other Padders on past train ride. We came to the conclusion that since Main Street is set in the early 1900's (and thus the 20th Century) that the spiel was still okay since we're really returning to Main Street Station.

Exactly. We *are* returning to the 20th century. No doubt about it.

Laffite
09-05-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by blusilva
Exactly. We *are* returning to the 20th century. No doubt about it.

uh?

Bill Catherall
09-05-2002, 11:05 AM
uh?
Look around Main Street and you're in the 20th century, regardles of what the calendar says. So leaving prehistoric times and entering Main Street station you are returning to the 20th century.

tod
09-05-2002, 11:10 AM

If you ask me it's still dead on. Main Street, U.S.A. is a small town street circa 1905, no? And you were here when you came in, so you're "returning to the 20th century," no? (Unless you came in by Monorail, but that's an exception.) The announcement has been there for years and was probably not intended as a tribute to the theming, but I don't have a problem with it.

--T

Laffite
09-05-2002, 11:24 AM
okay. So the train returns to the Main St in the 20th century. Got it.

Ahh..sorry :( I forgot a little detail that once "you entered DL you leave your world behind", so I doesn't matter what the calendar say. Ahh...DL is so romantic. :p :crying:

smd4
09-05-2002, 11:48 AM
Here are the final paragraphs from three speils. As you can see, earlier onese never even mentioned what era passengers were returning to.

Early 1970's speil:

“Ladies and gentlemen, we’re now approaching the Main Street Station. To those of you leaving the train here, please remain seated until the train comes to a complete stop. Check your personal belongings, and watch your step as you leave. Thank you for joining us on the Santa Fe and Disneyland Railroad, and may we wish you a happy day here in Walt Disney’s Magic Kingdom. This is Main Street, Main Street Station, Disneyland, U.S.A!”

The following version reflects the script as used since the construction of Mickey’s Toontown, in 1992.

“Folks, we’re now approaching Main Street. If this is your final destination, there is no need to bust your boilers in a rush to leave. Just remain seated until we come to a complete stop, then gather up your baggage and carefully step off the train. It’s been nice having you aboard the Disneyland Railroad, and we hope you have a pleasant stay here at the Magic Kingdom. This is Main Street, MAIN STREET STATION, DISNEYLAND, U.S.A.”

This is the script as used today, which began to be used probably in the mid-1990's:

“We’re now returning to the 20th century, and Main Street U.S.A. If you’ll be leaving us here, I would like to thank you for riding with us aboard the Disneyland Railroad. I hope you are enjoying your visit with us and you’ll come back to visit us real soon. Please remain seated until the train comes to a complete stop. This is Main Street Station, Disneyland, U.S.A.

Laffite
09-05-2002, 11:51 AM
RE: '92 script/spiel

Did the recording really say "Folks"? :D That's funny...I don't know why? :)

smd4
09-05-2002, 11:59 AM
That speil is loaded with country/western refrences, like "Howdy," "varmints," and "critters." Not quite sure why.

The current spiel today still uses "folks," however:

Hello folks. Welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."

Cadaverous Pallor
09-05-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by smd4
This is the script as used today, which began to be used probably in the mid-1990's:

“We’re now returning to the 20th century, and Main Street U.S.A....
Sounds like a Y2K incompatibility issue to me. ;) :)

Ok, I hear what everyone is saying about Main Street being in the 20th century. The bit I have a problem with is the word returning. Yes, I agree, once you enter Disneyland, you run by their space-time continuum. But that location in space-time changes as you walk around. Here are just a few "stops" at the park:

A remote archeological dig in the 1940s
The old south
The wild west
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
etc etc

In any case, when the spiel says you are returning to the 20th century, you have just left Tomorrowland! You could argue that some of Tland is basically the 20th century anyway (think Innoventions ;) ). But, by basic definition, Tomorrowland can't possibly be the 20th century!

So who's gonna step up? :cool:

Laffite
09-05-2002, 03:37 PM
no no no. You're not returning from TL, you're returning to the 20th century from the "pre-historic" show room, the one with dinosaurs.

OR, the spiel may assume that you boarded the train at the DL main station, ie main st in the 20th century. You then would return back to the 20th century, returning from the place you originated.

odnamraortsac
09-05-2002, 04:12 PM
Wow! This is deep stuff. But remember according to cast members, the average guest's I.Q. is supposed to drop at least 50 points as you enter the gate. So this spiel shouldn't bother you.

rexfarms
09-05-2002, 04:13 PM
I remeber hearing this and was going to post about it but forgot to. I do see how you can say the Main Street Era. It doesnt really bother me now, but I do remember some other "mistakes" on the speil. What are they now? I forget again. :) :confused:

Cadaverous Pallor
09-09-2002, 02:49 PM
OR, the spiel may assume that you boarded the train at the DL main station, ie main st in the 20th century. You then would return back to the 20th century, returning from the place you originated.
But it can't assume that! It must assume that you boarded at least at the Tomorrowland station. So, therefore, the idea that it's returning you to the 20th century due to Main Street being set in said century breaks down.

All very tongue in cheek, of course. :p ;)

corrinhorn
09-09-2002, 06:09 PM
WHO CARES?!?! :confused:

:D :D :D

Laffite
09-09-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by corrinhorn
WHO CARES?!?! :confused:

:D :D :D

I GUESS I DO!!! LOL!! :)