PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Ideas near Resort?

Pages : [1] 2

LubDatMouse
09-04-2002, 09:12 PM
Does anyone have a favorite restauraunt outside the resorts and outside Downtown Disney? We are looking for some good family restauraunts nearby. :cool:

Any help you could give would be sooooo appreciated!

Laffite
09-04-2002, 09:16 PM
This is not what you're looking for, but Medieval Times comes to mind. It's pretty much the next block over :)

LubDatMouse
09-04-2002, 09:24 PM
Lafitte - thanks

We actually did that last time we were there - we had great fun (my 15 year old loved those knights - egads)

What we are looking for this time are some great little kind of out of the way places - with good food and reasonable prices

Laffite
09-04-2002, 09:32 PM
What sort of food/ restauraunt are you looking for? I remember seeing The Spagetti Factory about 10-15min from DL just off the I-5. Not bad at all. Nothing fancy though.

OMG! :eek: I just remember The Elephant Bar, it's also off the I-5 and also about 10-15min (maybe 20min with traffic down there). Pretty much in the same area with Spagetti Fac. All the restauraunts are there in that area. Take I-5 North from DL and you'll see bright red neon "The Elephant bar" sign to your right.

Great food (and plenty of it), great decor/ atmosphere, price is no complain. That's what I can recommend. :)

LubDatMouse
09-04-2002, 09:42 PM
Elephant Bar ... sounds like fun!

Thanks for the directions - we will head that way one night :)

We enjoy quirky new places. Found some wonderful ones in Florida (Joe's Crab Shack .. YUM) but never really had much luck around Disneyland .. except for in Downtown Disney area.

Laffite
09-04-2002, 09:57 PM
Umm. Can anybody else confirm? I know it's I-5 North, 15min. But does anybody have the street name?

Looks like I'll have to bust out my map :D

But seriously, it's a fun place :)

Not Afraid
09-04-2002, 10:02 PM
If you like Joe's, there's ones close to DL at

12011 Harbor Blvd., Garden Grove, CA 92840 USA
Phone: (714) 703-0505

You also may want to try The Block at Orange, not far from DL at all. Their site can be viewed here. (http://www.blockatorange.com/index2.html)

Also, I remember Down Town Fullerton having some fun restaurants, but I haven't been there in years.

MouseWife
09-05-2002, 05:39 AM
There is also a Buca di Beppos' in Garden Grove, just a few blocks up.

It is in the parking lot of the new Embassy Suites.

http://www.bucadibeppo.com/

Here is their website.

A fun little Italian place, if you like Italian.

tlovesdis
09-05-2002, 06:34 AM
Tony Romas is right across the street. They have great ribs! It's one of my husband's favorite places to have dinner!

roberts1398
09-05-2002, 07:42 AM
Buca di Bepo is great! We have a couple here in the Sacramento area. Fun/funky decorations, HUGE and I do mean HUGE portions (for instance, their Lemon Chicken is 4 very large boneless skinless chicken breasts, and their pizza took up half the table -- it's a rectangle, I'm guessing at 24" wide and maybe 36" long -- definitely enough for 3 hungry people, or 2 very hungry people). So remember their portions are intended for two...

I also really like Old Spaghetti Factory ... inexpensive and delicious food. I think the most expensive menu item (at least up here) is $10... and if you finish your food, you can get another plate of spaghetti for like $1 or something... try their -- gosh what do they call it??? -- spaghetti in browned butter or something like that as a sidedish. DELICIOUS!

There's also a Joe's Crab Shack near the Homewood Suites. Haven't been, but checked out their website a while back and they have a really fun menu (with lots of non-seafood item as well). Great t-shirts for purchase too -- really fun looking.

California Pizza Kitchen -- or CPK. Don't know where, but I'm sure there's one nearby and they're fun. Do a websearch for locations.

tod
09-05-2002, 08:02 AM
Here are a couple my family and I like:

Tacos Mi Pueblo at the corner of Walnut and Katella. (Walnut is the street west of the Disneyland Hotel.) A small -- tiny -- Mexican food place with real Mexican food. Good value for the money, and a chance to try more-exotic Mexican dishes like goat and menudo.

On Ball east of Harbor, at the corner of Anaheim Street and Ball Road, there's a collection of fast food places. Burger King, El Pollo Loco, Mc Donald's, KFC, and Subway. There is also a 7-Eleven on this corner.

On Katella west of The Resort, there's another fast food strip at Brookhurst with a Taco Bell and a Burger King on the street, and a Home Town Buffet set back behind the parking lot.

If you want Denny's, go to the one on Euclid near the 5. The ones near The Resort didn't run specials last time i went in. I haven't been back in years, so maybe they do now. I wouldn't count on it.

An easy walk from the entrance plaza, the IHOP on Harbor is good for people watching.

There's also Millie's and Mimi's Café on Harbor just north of the Mc Donald's. Millie's is good coffee shop fare (and they're open till midnight) and Mimi's is a step up from that, both in food quality and price.

Hope this helps.

--T

julgraham
09-05-2002, 08:35 AM
Outback Steakhouse, just up the street.
I know it's at Downtown Disney, but we never miss the Rainforest Cafe, the kids love it.

cyberRoo
09-05-2002, 08:45 AM
You'll notice that here in Southern California we only eat at chain restaurants. It's a weird SoCal thing that makes it difficult to feel like you've really found a "treasure".

And I was also going to recommend the Block at Orange. It's probably only 10-15 minutes from DL, and they have a bunch of good restaurants. It's kindof a classic SoCal experience - eating outdoors in a mall. They also have a Dave and Busters and (still?) a Gameworks, if you're into the whole video game thing.

merlinjones
09-05-2002, 09:09 AM
Rubios Fish Tacos at the Block!!! The Real California adventure! Cheap and yummy.

RideMax Mark
09-05-2002, 09:22 AM
There is a "Love's Barbecue" (SP?) on Harbor -- just go south until you almost reach the 22 freeway. The decor is nothing fancy, but they've got good food!

lisap
09-05-2002, 10:02 AM
The Northwoods Inn is about 20 minutes North of DL off the 5 freeway at the Valley View exit--it's a big log cabin looking restaurant with fake snow on the roof.

It's a "throw your peanut shells on the floor" kind of place--great steaks and cheese bread, and fun for kids too. Not super inexpensive but hey--you're on vacation, right? :)

Clearman's Northwoods Inn
14305 Firestone Boulevard
714-994-4590

LubDatMouse
09-05-2002, 04:32 PM
Wow

Thanks so much - to everyone. My husband is already drooling after reading about some of these places (especially the italian one)

There is also a Buca di Beppos' in Garden Grove, just a few blocks up.

I know it's at Downtown Disney, but we never miss the Rainforest Cafe, the kids love it.

And .. I agree. Rainforest Cafe is great!

With so many new places to try - I think we will skip the fast food places (yahooo)

Klutch
09-05-2002, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by lisap
[B]The Northwoods Inn is about 20 minutes North of DL off the 5 freeway at the Valley View exit--it's a big log cabin looking restaurant with fake snow on the roof.

Hey, my uncle Jerry owns that place! I'm planning a Disneyland trip in October. I'll have to go by the North Woods Inn for some chow. Haven't been there since I was a lad.

There used to be a wonderfully weird restaurant down the street from Disneyland called "Belisle's". I took my family there during my last California trip in 96. The portions were gigantic!

I heard Belisle's had closed, but the owners were considering reopening. Anyone know if it's stilll around? I expect it was bulldozed for a mini-mart (sigh).

:(

KarenW2
09-05-2002, 10:24 PM
Sadly, there is no more Belisle's! We loved that place and that was the first one I thought of when I was reading this thread. I think there's an Outback Steakhouse and something else on that corner now. NOTHING like what it replaced, that's for sure.

We love North Woods and the architecture reminds me of that motel, right on the outside of the Disneyland parking lot, but I can't remember the name right now. Same kind of "snow" on the roof and all.

Have you tried Storyteller's Cafe at the Grand Californian? It's got great food for breakfast, lunch & dinner, great service and the prices are the best for what you get in all of the DLR, in our opinion! Love their banana-stuffed French toast for breakfast (like Tonga Toast at WDW's Poly, if you're familiar with it) and their raspberry lemonade is the best, especially after a long, hot day in the parks! In addition to the regular menu, they also have buffets.

Hope you have a great time!

cstephens
09-06-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by KarenW2
We love North Woods and the architecture reminds me of that motel, right on the outside of the Disneyland parking lot, but I can't remember the name right now. Same kind of "snow" on the roof and all.

Yeah, we love North Woods. We saw the last game of the NBA finals there this year, had a "meat meet" there a few years ago, and there are two other locations that are closer to home for us that we love going to, including the one where we had our rehearsal dinner several years ago. Hard to find a better steak elsewhere.

daannzzz
09-06-2002, 01:16 PM
The Spaghetti Station is across Ball Rd right behind Disneyland. They have a nice assortment of sauces to choose from and the Spumoni is real not pretend! This restaurant is right next to a motel called the Station Inn which I have never heard of anyone staying there or seen it in any guid book!!! Don't let it scare you away from the restaurant.

roberts1398
09-06-2002, 02:31 PM
Hey daannzzz --

How far is this from Harbor? I'm staying at Holiday Inn, on Harbor just before Ball. Is this walkable?

daannzzz
09-06-2002, 02:44 PM
If you are staying at the Holiday Inn at the Park, yes it is walkable. That Holiday Inn is on a piece of land bordered by Highway 5, Harbour Blvd and Ball road. You just need to cross Ball road and head west on Ball over the freeway. The Station Inn and Spaghetti Station will be on the right. You may even have a view of it from your room! :)

HBTiggerFan
09-06-2002, 05:21 PM
I have to say Mimis Cafe. On Harbor. Its soooooooooo good and they have a great kids menu too. While its a chain it does have the feel of being "unique". For extra privacy you can request the "Honeymoon Booth" which is the mostly enclosed booth, and its large if kidlets want to do whatnot.

Portions are huge, prices are great.

Yea, I used to work there (at the one in fountain valley), but I ate there so much before I worked there...yumm....

Laffite
09-06-2002, 07:05 PM
Disagree. Mimis Cafe isn't very good, had better, at least that's true for my local Mimis Cafe.