PDA

View Full Version : Cast Member Positions

Pages : [1] 2

Gemini Cricket
09-04-2002, 05:44 PM
I have a question for Cast Members at Disneyland:

When you are hired, are you hired for a specific area or ride? Or are you trained at a number of different positions and then rotated?

For example, can you request to be hired to do Jungle Cruises only?

This question came to mind when I was thinking about Maynard (on another thread) and seeing him all over the park... He seems to be at HM a majority of the time. Do the Supervisors place him where he does the best job or is it just a coincidence that I've seen Maynard there all the time?

:)

rexfarms
09-04-2002, 06:12 PM
I dont think you have much choice where you work in the beginning. I think after you work a certain number of years, you can request a change of where or what you work. :) Am I correct here CMs?

Laffite
09-04-2002, 06:21 PM
I worked at the "other" park but I guess the concept is the same. When you first applied they'll you almost never get to go where you wanted to go because "there's no positions avaliable". You'll have to work a while and request a transfer when there's an open or if they need more people for some reason. Timing is the key, in a way.

You all heard of the story about a guy that walked out in the middle of the interview because they won't let him work on JC? They called him back a week later offering a position in JC :D

Kevin Yee
09-04-2002, 07:10 PM
Maynard is a special case. No one is as cross-trained as he is, and most CMs don't have the ability to work in as many places as he does.

Laffite
09-04-2002, 07:29 PM
Well, he's been working there for so long, he gets seniority royalty and almost gets to do whatever he wants.

Morrigoon
09-04-2002, 08:01 PM
I've heard that redheads (women, anyway) have a better chance of getting mansion. I doubt this is due to any effort on hr's part, but they do have an unusual ratio of redheads to non-redheads at that particular attraction. However, according to my formerly redheaded friend, mansion being so popular means that new hires who're only trained there get almost no hours (she was getting like 4-8 hours per week).

DJ_MENTOS
09-04-2002, 09:18 PM
Would it ever be possible to work only a couple of hours per MONTH?
The reason I ask is that I already have 2 jobs, but would love to work there just to work in that environment (atmosphere.)

Of course, as anyone else, preferably on JC!

So is this possible?

-DJ_MENTOS

Laffite
09-04-2002, 09:20 PM
Wow. If HM is so popular for CMs and they all want to work there, how come HM is "understaffed" lately. :confused:

Durliin
09-04-2002, 10:04 PM
maynard is only a CR and does not get many Hours, I know many Cms at work who have more Attraction Knowlage then he does......

Disney Nick
09-04-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Durliin
maynard is only a CR and does not get many Hours, I know many Cms at work who have more Attraction Knowlage then he does......
Attraction Knowledge doesn't mean as much to the guest as genuinely loving your job and giving it your all...

Grandbreaker
09-04-2002, 10:26 PM
for security there is parkside and hotels aka westside

Upanova
09-08-2002, 11:37 AM
I'm almost a redhead, a strawberry blonde, and I got placed in Fantasyland...go figure!

Yeah, Mansion is terribly popular, it's what I hired in for basically. As it's my favorite attraction that was what I asked for over and over again.

I first worked Attractions, Treehouse, and GC for parades and shows, the second time I went back they gave me Fantasyland Routes, and I almost had panic attcks working there. I had to end my "assignment" as it was just too brutal working there, going over 9 rides, and trained for only a half hour on each, it was very very brutal, trying to learn it all and take care of those rides. I hated it, it was way too stressful for me...at least 3 other girls had gotten out of FL before when I hired in , so they were sick of excuses from us whining about it. Unfortunatley I was at the tail end of those hired in, and could not tranfer due to these other girls getting out and placing elsewhere . I asked to go to StorybookL or Small World, and they wouldn't let me transfer. Sick bastards! Storybook I would have taken no problem! Also I have a great speaking voice, all those years as a receptionist on the phone did it's magic, but no!

So I worked GC for a while and tried to get transfered to no avail. Also I had a terrible supervisor who would not for the life of me transfer me over to another department, so I was screwed. So if i ever go back it may be several years from now, and in another department, probably GS, or in the office, as I don't want to work the front lines anymore, as you really have to have major senority and a good record, and basically work in the trenches way too long in order to rise to any position of importance. I'll stick to the office track as I would hope to rise up faster and higher if I went' back. I'm over 30 now and I'm really thinking of my career's future as I am really over half my working life now, and I would like to make the best of it until I retire....doing what I'd like to do now....as opposed to just picking up a paycheck every week.

Sometimes you just have to go opposite the flow of life to get anywhere...sorry for the long post here.

Upanova

Mythgard
09-08-2002, 01:44 PM
I was actually curious about this same subject. I have been seriously looking into getting a job at Disneyland. So, hou hard is it to get a job in the following:

Haunted Mansion
Indiana Jones
Monorail (What I would love to pilot!)
Railroad (Another Favorite)

and I am sure this is easy:
Custodial (just so I can be outside, and walk around.

If anyone can give me any ideas, please let me know.

Phineas85
09-08-2002, 02:35 PM
I didn't see one redhead at the DL HM!

I saw black, brunette, gray, and various browns - but no redheads.

They even had a blonde babe working the HM (her name was Alicia).

But don't let silly myths about blondes fool you - she was VERY hard to get out of character!

Morrigoon
09-08-2002, 04:03 PM
I would think Jungle Cruise would be fun, railroad would probably be reasonably okay, monorails difficult as well as mansion.

But then again I've never done attractions myself, only had friends who were.

tikiboy
09-08-2002, 05:26 PM
Indiana Jones is VERY easy to get trained at, that's because
the working conditions aren't the greatest. 90 deg. all the time,
and very, very loud.

rexfarms
09-08-2002, 06:00 PM
Anything Retlaw would be fun. But I rather work Guest Relations.:)

Mythgard
09-08-2002, 06:14 PM
I am happy to hear that about Indy, but how hard is it to become a conductor on the DLRR? That is another attraction that I am extremely interested in.

Laffite
09-08-2002, 06:24 PM
There is a thread about DRR conductors and engineers down below. I'm going to go read it now! :)

PhilMP
09-08-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms
Anything Retlaw would be fun. But I rather work Guest Relations.:)

Ugh, no hours and you're hated by the rest of the park. Not to mention having to put up with hundreds of frivolous complaints every single day. (My son wasn't able to get Mickey's signature, I want a refund!!!)

I want to transfer to Parades & Show Support. 99% backstage, rare dealings with Guests, and you get to drive the floats. :)

Phil

rexfarms
09-09-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by PhilMP
Ugh, no hours and you're hated by the rest of the park. Not to mention having to put up with hundreds of frivolous complaints every single day. (My son wasn't able to get Mickey's signature, I want a refund!!!)

I want to transfer to Parades & Show Support. 99% backstage, rare dealings with Guests, and you get to drive the floats. :)

Phil

Seriously Guest Relations isnt a good position?

Kevin Yee
09-09-2002, 06:14 PM
Guest Relations is one of the most beleagured departments at the moment. Entire swarms of experienced CMs are leaving the department (most of them quitting) due to dissatisfaction.

For years now, the turnover has been high in that department, and it's accelerating.

Cynics would point to the high volume of guest dissatisfaction with DCA and the resultant (and expected) toll it's taking on the GR workforce.

Don't believe me? Ask a GR cast member, but only off-stage and one who knows you and trusts you (so you will get the truth rather than the party line).

Phil's comment is illuminating. I place you between two and three years onstage - am I right? The pattern of desiring backstage and limited guest contact has been around for ages, and it usually sets in between 2-3 years. If you're absolutely serious about wanting an "in" to float driving, Phil, email me - I know the former manager, who still pulls a lot of strings in that department.

PhilMP
09-09-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Yee
Guest Relations is one of the most beleagured departments at the moment. Entire swarms of experienced CMs are leaving the department (most of them quitting) due to dissatisfaction.

For years now, the turnover has been high in that department, and it's accelerating.

Cynics would point to the high volume of guest dissatisfaction with DCA and the resultant (and expected) toll it's taking on the GR workforce.

Don't believe me? Ask a GR cast member, but only off-stage and one who knows you and trusts you (so you will get the truth rather than the party line).

Phil's comment is illuminating. I place you between two and three years onstage - am I right? The pattern of desiring backstage and limited guest contact has been around for ages, and it usually sets in between 2-3 years. If you're absolutely serious about wanting an "in" to float driving, Phil, email me - I know the former manager, who still pulls a lot of strings in that department.

And to think, once upon a time I actually wanted to transfer to GR, until I found out how snotty their CMs were and I accidentally looked through their binder of weekly schedules up in the scheduling building and saw only 3 days for some CMs (and this was in July).

I've only been onstage a year and seven months, the pattern is somewhat accelerated for ODV CMs. :)

Actually, there are 2 departments I'd like to transfer to, and they're on total opposite ends of the spectrum. One is Parades & Show Support, as previously mentioned. The only drawback is the lack of hours during slow season.

The other department I'd like to transfer to is Entertainment as a Character Host. Extreme amounts of Guest interaction, but it's much more fulfilling than telling somebody that it's 2.50 for a churro and 2.75 for a coke/water. And it gets me in real close with all the cute princesses. :) (That shows that I don't fit the Entertainment profile. :))

Phil

Morrigoon
09-09-2002, 08:27 PM
Character Host is a lot of fun, but it'll have the same problem re: hours. Plus you spend a ton of time in Mickey's house, not so much with princesses.

ChipmunkStar
09-09-2002, 09:13 PM
Actually, speaking as a character hostess (previously from ODV, matter of fact :) ), The hours aren't *too* bad. . .

It all depends on your availability and when you're talking about. For instance, I'm in school now for three days a week, and I've been getting three or four days of work. During the summer, I was getting 40/week, and not every day was with Mickey (only one, and that was because it was my preference). With your preferences and seniority you can get blocked for summer, the rest of the year is kind of a case of random luck.

It's fun because you get paid to play, everyone's so much fun to hang out with, and we're non-union. Phil: If you need any tips for the auditions or any of that junk, give me a heads up, and I'll try ta give ya a couple of pointers :)