PDA

View Full Version : No Fireworks this fall?

SweenyTodd
09-04-2002, 07:51 AM
Looks like the budget boys have done it again. Last year, they ran "Believe" on weekends throughout the year. This year - no such luck. I guess they're going to run Fantasmic! instead - which is great, but I'm going to miss the 'works. Looks like there won't be fireworks back until the Holiday show.

Makes me sad. I think the Holiday show is inferior to the regular show. And if I had known they were going to stop, I would have made sure I saw it Sunday or Monday night. :crying:

Was anyone there on Saturday? They had to stop the show right after Tinkerbell's flight due to "prevailing winds." Last show I'm going to see for awhile and it only runs half way through. Rats.

Anyone know the reason for this? Don't get me wrong, I love Fantasmic! as much as anyone, but I'm wondering why they're running that and not Believe. I can't imagine Fantasmic! is cheaper to run. Is it? Plus, with rumors that they're draining the river next year, are we going to have an winter/spring season of no Fireworks AND no Fantasmic?

Ghoulish Delight
09-04-2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by SweenyTodd
Anyone know the reason for this? Don't get me wrong, I love Fantasmic! as much as anyone, but I'm wondering why they're running that and not Believe. I can't imagine Fantasmic! is cheaper to run. Is it? Plus, with rumors that they're draining the river next year, are we going to have an winter/spring season of no Fireworks AND no Fantasmic? They probably made the decission to run one OR the other this year. Since, with the river drained, Fantasmic! won't be playing next year, it's likely they want to get as much run out of it as possible, which would be why they chose it over the fireworks. I think it's a year to year decission. I wouldn't make any assumptions about whether they plan on running the fireworks through fall next year.

socabch
09-04-2002, 08:23 AM
Looks like the budget boys have done it again.

There might be an added reason for this. A group of Anaheim residents started complaining and having environmetal tests done about the fireworks show. They complianed about the noise level and the soot it leaves on the cars and windows. Maybe this is a way of getting them off DLR's back.

Go to this thread for details

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4813

goofey
09-04-2002, 08:49 AM
I can't imagine Fantasmic! is cheaper to run. Is it? From what I've heard, no. A few somewhat reliable sources have told me that Fantasmic costs between $5,000 and $10,000 more per show than the year-round Believe. I think the holiday show costs marginally more because of the snow effect.

Darkbeer
09-04-2002, 09:28 AM
That doesn't make sense...

I heard the numbers of about $40,000 to run the Friday (One show) Fantasmic!

And $60,000 to run the Saturday (Two show) Fantasmic!

I heard that Beleive! only cost about $10,000 to run in total per night.

refurbmike
09-04-2002, 12:41 PM
I heard (another rumor) that they decided not to shoot the fireworks on "school nights." That's also why the show ended on the day *before* Labor Day and not the day of.

stinkerbell
09-04-2002, 01:34 PM
I'm so sad that the Believe fireworks won't be going on, during our visit this fall. I'll miss them, a lot, as will my daughter.

I've emailed Disneyland twice, just to make myself feel better about it. That's about all that I can do. :(

Laffite
09-04-2002, 05:15 PM
:eek: $40k per show on Fantasmic!? :eek: $10k per show on Believe!? Those shows are expensive lil' buggers! :eek:

AVP
09-04-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by refurbmike
I heard (another rumor) that they decided not to shoot the fireworks on "school nights." That's also why the show ended on the day *before* Labor Day and not the day of.

The park has to pay a fee / fine / permit / whatever you want to call it when they shoot fireworks on a school night.

No Grape Koolaid
09-04-2002, 11:19 PM
Looks like the budget boys have done it

Budget boys or Hamburger Helper taking all the entertainment money for Aladdin?

sydney
09-04-2002, 11:55 PM
I had always heard the nightly cost for believe placed at $18 thousand. and I heard that from the mouth of one people who run the show. but who knows-- they keep taking more and more fireworks out every month or so, I suppose hoping no one will notice and complain. but every little bit of cost-cutting is noticable to those that love believe.

I will miss believe this fall-- that's a real bummer.

socabch
09-05-2002, 07:11 AM
I heard (another rumor) that they decided not to shoot the fireworks on "school nights.

If this is correct then why can't they have the fireworks on Friday & Saturday. I still kind of think it's the complaining by a group of residents.

zapppop
09-05-2002, 05:15 PM
Believe; In Holiday Magic starts Friday, November 8th.

Laffite
09-05-2002, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by zapppop

w00t! to that! :) :cool:

cemeinke
09-05-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by zapppop

But it will be 2003 before we see Tink fly again :crying:

TerryTiger
09-05-2002, 09:24 PM
A few weeks ago around the middle of August, I went to Fantasyland to watch Believe. I was appalled to see that the rope had been moved back from it's usual location between Peter Pan and Snow White to completely close off both those rides and prevent anyone from getting in front of or even walking around the Carrousel enclosure. A CM told me it was a new fire marshal requirement. I have also heard a rumor that the Believe we all know and love will NOT be returning after the Christmas version is over. If it is now necessary to close ALL of Toontown AND the castle as well as Peter Pan/Snow White for hours each evening, I'm sure they will retool the show to at least remove the castle component if not trim the rest of the show back. With all the recent complaints from residents and this most recent development, I'm afraid that we'll never see anything quite like it again. I already miss it!

roberts1398
09-06-2002, 09:28 AM
According to Darkbeer today (or yesterday), Holiday Believe starts nightly 11/8 ... FYI!!! :D

marron-cream
09-06-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by TerryTiger
If it is now necessary to close ALL of Toontown AND the castle as well as Peter Pan/Snow White for hours each evening, I'm sure they will retool the show to at least remove the castle component if not trim the rest of the show back.

It's hardly hours. We usually try to clear out our shops and close the doors around 9PM. And they don't start roping off until 8:45 or so.

zapppop
09-30-2002, 05:35 PM
the last day for Believe In Holiday Magic is Sunday January 5th.
Believe; There's Magic In The Stars returns Friday January 10th so it appears that there will be fireworks again on Friday and Saturday.
Also, the Carrousel rehab ( as many have predicted ) has been extended through ( at least ) the end of January.

PyroT
10-02-2002, 07:59 PM
The product that is used for both the regular believe and the holiday show are similar. There are times when the product is not available due to vendor shipments or what not. I have heard that DL is looking to revamp the believe show, but not change it completely, this would be too time consuming. I will have more information as it becomes available.