PDA

View Full Version : Dole Whip Found in Irvine, CA [and other locations]

Pages : [1] 2

sheldonc
03-10-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm a long time lurker that wants to share this awesome discovery! Ever since our Annual Pass expired, I've been craving for a Dole Whip, but couldn't justify the $70 price tag for it!

I did some searching and found that most of the places that served the Dole Whip were in Hawaii or far away from so cal.

And last night, I accidentally stumbled onto it. While getting Ice Cream, I saw a sign that had the Dole logo with Soft Serve. And guess what? One of the flavors was pineapple... I found the Dole Whip!

I've got to bring my own pineapple juice next time so I can make the float, but anyhow, if anyone lives in Orange County:

http://www.stricklands.info/site.cfm/locations.cfm

lofosho
03-10-2008, 03:04 PM
Can't you go into the park for one hour without paying admission? It's meant for people who want to shop, so I'd assume you can buy a Dole Whip!

santoanderson
03-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Hmmm, Dole whip..... sounds good, never had one.... but sounds gooooood......

Toocherie
03-10-2008, 08:21 PM
love that ice cream shop! haven't been there in a long time--need to make a trip.

one word of warning--they change "special" flavors from time to time so might not have this flavor all the time.

Carina
03-10-2008, 11:03 PM
Can't you go into the park for one hour without paying admission? It's meant for people who want to shop,

How would they get you back out again?????

bradk
03-11-2008, 03:14 AM
they charge your card full price of admission if you don't.

danyoung
03-11-2008, 05:31 AM
I don't think this benefit exists.

LdyApxr
03-11-2008, 06:43 AM
I've never heard of being able to go in for an hour(or any length of time) without being charged. There is no way that they could be sure you had left and if you haven't there is really no way they could track you down and get you out. I am going in 9 days and this time I will try a Dole Whip Float! I usually only get a pineapple spear

Drince88
03-11-2008, 07:03 AM
For information about the shopping pass, check out this thread. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=65301)

bradk
03-11-2008, 07:05 AM
There is no way that they could be sure you had left

the thread linked above mentions it, but as i said, they charge your card if you don't return in the hour. i guess i could have been more clear on that.

i thought they might actually require a receipt too or some sort of validation.

(this is not available at WDW)

danyoung
03-11-2008, 07:15 AM
Most interesting! There have been times when I've been working a convention in Anaheim, been between AP's, and would LOVE to step in and stroll around for an hour. Now I know how to do it! No more standing outside the gates whimpering . . .

Leofoenget
03-11-2008, 08:04 AM
They have them at the park here in Santa Clara.

Nancy
03-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Is it one hour per day?

Pinkhoody
03-11-2008, 10:18 AM
I don't think this benefit exists.

I just called the Disney Will Call window, and they said they do offer that. Just make sure you get there at least by 4:00, since she said you need to get there an hour before Guest Services closes (at 5:00). Awesomeness! Will ya get me an antenna ball or somethin'? ;)

danyoung
03-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Yes, as I acknowledged 3 posts ago, I was wrong.

cookie7762
03-11-2008, 11:53 AM
I utilized the shopping pass around halloween time because I bought some mouse ears at the world of disney, but wanted them embroidered. It was so cool because the embroidery only took about 10 minutes then I was able to wander around for the remaining time. PLus it was very easy, they don't even ask for a receipt to see what you bought and they let 5 of us in altogether. If I were a so cal local I would definitely pop on over for my favorite disneyland lunch!

Jim Dear and Darling
03-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I had no idea such a thing existed... Does you have to show a receipt or something to prove you were shopping? Or could you go in for an hour to eat?

Katlovett
03-11-2008, 01:21 PM
I had no idea such a thing existed... Does you have to show a receipt or something to prove you were shopping? Or could you go in for an hour to eat?
I did this several years ago and had the same experience as cookie7762 i.e. they gave me back my credit card charge slip without actually charging my credit card and without asking to see my shopping receipts (which I had). I assume they don't ask for a receipt because what if you went shopping but the shop didn't have what you needed (size, color, whatever) so you didn't buy anything?

I think the number of people who aren't at Disneyland for the day but who want to eat a quick meal at Disneyland restaurants, is very low. Certainly I can think of better nearby restaurants for the money. This is probably not a very big problem for Disney, which wants you to spend as much of your money as possible there regardless how that occurs.

dznyphreak
03-11-2008, 06:33 PM
I, like the OP, had only seen Dole Whip at DL and the Dole Pineapple plantation in Hawaii. Much to my surprise, I found it right here on the UCLA campus!!! It's at one of the quick-service places near the dorms and you can use the on-campus meal plan! Words cannot describe how excited I was...maybe I'll get some tonight.

CV12Pirate
03-12-2008, 06:21 AM
Whip it good...

hapyg0luky
03-15-2008, 10:15 PM
They have them at the park here in Santa Clara.

Where in Santa Clara?!?!?! Are they in Great America? I have never noticed them there before. I crave these all the time. Great America opens tomorrow. Although I'd rather drive 6 hours to DL or fly to Hawaii, I need my fix.

Shootingstaar
03-19-2008, 09:25 PM
It's so weird that this thread was started so recently because I just found the dole whip in Apple Valley, CA today! There is a new frozen yogurt place called Nubi Yogurt, and it is self serve with tons of toppings. I was in heaven being able to serve myself as much dole soft serve as I wanted. I was at DL on Monday and wanted a whip but the line was too long. Now I don't even have to wait til I go to the park again, I can get it every week, or every day!

Matterhorn Yodeler
03-20-2008, 02:42 PM
http://www.stricklands.info/site.cfm/locations.cfm

I've taken a look at the Stricklands website. They make all of their ice cream on the premises and regularly change flavors. So, before you trek out to Irvine, I would give them a call to make sure they are serving the beloved Dole Whip.

Strickland's of Irvine, California

4523 Campus Drive
Irvine, California
949-387-9955
stricklands-irvine@excite.com

Aloha!

AVP
03-20-2008, 09:06 PM
I've taken a look at the Stricklands website. They make all of their ice cream on the premises and regularly change flavors. So, before you trek out to Irvine, I would give them a call to make sure they are serving the beloved Dole Whip. Except for the Dole soft serve flavors, which are purchased from Dole (and aren't on the Strickland's Web site). I would definitely call before you go though, to make sure they haven't run out.

AVP

hifi
03-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Be sure to grab a bite to eat at Gina's Pizza next door, that place is pretty good.

That's weird, I live right across the street from this place and go in regularly and never noticed the Dole flavors. I usually wait until the Butterfinger flavored ice cream is made. mmmm....i'll report back about the dole whip.