PDA

View Full Version : Blast! Today....

DJ_MENTOS
09-02-2002, 07:41 PM
I had the opportunity to see the last 3 shows. How incredible. The performers gave it their all. In the last show, one of the originals (he's also on the DVD and looks like Ben Stiller) he did his part in Lemon Techno. It seemed that whoever was best at a certain part, played that part in the last show. There were so many performers in the last show.

Before the last show, a couple of the drummers came out, and gave out drum sticks. During the last show, the first drummer in battery battle gave his drums out (TOTALLY COOL!) Then at the very end of Malengua, the drummer who starts on the snare, "stabbed" the drum at the finish.

There were so many highlights. For those of you fortunate enough to have been there, what highlights did u enjoy?

-DJ_MENTOS

Laffite
09-02-2002, 07:48 PM
arrggg!! :mad: I KNEW I should have gone to see it today. But the labor day traffic really discouraged me. :mad:

supercarrie
09-02-2002, 08:35 PM
I saw the 1:00 show. What I enjoyed the most was just the energy of the crowd. Almost everyone who was in my section, at least, had seen it before, and was cheering more than I had ever heard before, at parts I had never heard anyone cheer for before. All the performers seemed to have so much more energy and hammed things up to the audience so much. I also noticed that one of my fave colorguard guys was back, who had been missing since almost the beginning of the run at the Hyperion. I really wish I could have seen the very last show. We thought we would have time, and it turns out the movie break we took went longer than expected. :(

AVP
09-02-2002, 09:15 PM
The 5:15 show was everything I hoped it would be. Standing ovations between songs, and so much energy. The performers were just incredible.

I watched the last show at Epcot last year, the first show at DCA this year, and the last show tonight. I'm definitely going to miss Blast!, and I can't wait to see Shockwave when it tours through here.

AVP

PurpleDove33
09-02-2002, 09:35 PM
I was at both the first and last shows today. The atmosphere from the audiance was so awesome. I noticed that everyone gave their all for the shows today. And to see all the standing ovations all thru the show, during the differant solos was so cool. And we had 4 people behind us in the second row from the cast, who I guess had the day off but was there with all of us. I know I really enjoyed being able to sit in my favorite seat in the front row. I like it were all the action happens. And what I noticed, right after the lemon teckno one of the trombone players had his video camera, and shot from the back stage at audiance. And of course Zac with the solo in Bolaro and Maliguania was awesome as always. I could go on and on. I know I will miss them all. I know all good things have to come to a end. But being that I have seen the show so much, I feel like I am going to miss them like family.

PineapplePrincess
09-02-2002, 09:58 PM
I saw all three shows today. WOW! They were all wonderful but the 5:15 was the best I had ever seen it!!!!
The vibes from the audience...WOW!

I wish that they bring back BLAST! sometime in the future...maybe the new Shockwave or something.

It is better to have loved and lost BLAST!
Then to have never loved BLAST! at all!
:p

bluepearl
09-03-2002, 12:30 AM
I got to see the 3:15PM show today before I had work. It was a great show!!! I'm going to miss being able to see it whenever I had a free chance. I still miss Kit's performance though. :lol:

It was a fantastic performance by all the cast members, I got the chance to get some pictures with some of them before leaving. I wish I could've seen the very last show, but I had work at 6 and I didn't think I'd be able to make it to work on time.

innerSpaceman
09-03-2002, 07:13 AM
The final performance of Blast! at DCA was simply the best stage performance event I have ever seen at a Disney park. The intensity was scintilating and electric. The audience and the cast fed off each other to create soaring new heights of excitement and energy.

As might be imagined, the audience was full of die-hard fans and the cheering, the screaming, the appreciation and love was palpable. Standing ovations for every number, Cheers for every solo, Thunderous applause for every highlight moment. When the audience is that enthusiastic, when the show is closing night, the cast feels it and they put their heart and soul into a blockbuster performance of the Power of Blast!

Having just recently seen the full version of Blast! at UCLA, I was worried that the abbreviated DCA version would seem so much less impressive to me (the full version totally rocks!). But last night's performance was so remarkable, so ecstatic, so fantabulous that comparisons between the two were rendered meaningless. The performers gave it their all. The audience was wild and out of their seats through half the show. I danced, I laughed, I cried.

Blast! will be missed.

Rumoured for next summer: Blast Shockwave.

Bring it, Baby!

LeslieluvMcky
09-03-2002, 04:50 PM
Thank you everyone for sharing. I couldn't make it (I have 3 small children and no sitter) but you all made me feel like I was there...Thanks for painting such a vivid picture!! I'm truly going to miss Blast!

kennyhues
09-04-2002, 09:21 AM
Blast opens in San Jose tonight. Got tix for tomorrow's show! Can't wait - I've been hoping to see this live since I saw it on PBS almost two years ago. . . .

justagrrl
09-04-2002, 10:53 AM
I'm so glad I got to see it twice. It took me awhile to get around to it the first time, and I was sorry that I hadn't seen it sooner. I took the kids one final time, during the last week, to make sure we got to see it one last time and it was just as good.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that gets teary-eyed...

...to anyone that's curious as to what Shockwave is, as I was, here's a link:

http://www.wdwig.com/ep_swave.htm

ricksfca
09-06-2002, 10:05 AM
There was a review of the touring production today in the SF Chronicle and is was NOT GOOD!

Follow --> the link (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2002/09/06/DD186859.DTL) <--

[Moderator's Note: Edited to remove copyrighted text and inserted a link to the article. -- Bill]

SzczerbiakManiac
09-06-2002, 10:46 AM
Warning: Huge Vent

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
A classic example of a critic not having a clue what s/he's watching. <shakes head in disgust>
This critic, and more than a few who reviewed the Broadway production, doesn't understand what "Blast!" is. It's a drum & bugle corp. Granted, a souped-up version, but a D&BC nonetheless. One does not watch a half-time show at a high school football game and expect to see highlights of Hamlet. These boneheads need to do a little homework before they spew their ignorance over their readership.

If the aforementioned reviewer(s) don't like D&BCs they should just be honest and say as much in their review. It's like watching "West Side Story" and getting irked because the characters all of a sudden break into song! :rolleyes:

And while I'm venting, what's up with this:
some twit from the SF Chronicle wrote:
The hardworking, hard-bodied and predominantly white cast gets sold in a friendly, hometown way.And the race of the performers in relevant how, exactly?!? :rolleyes:

[end vent]

kennyhues
09-06-2002, 10:57 AM
IMHO, the SF Chron critic just doesn't get it. Notice that they attack the content rather than the performance. Actually they praise the performers. Story? Wha? Hello, clue phone for Mr. Critic - this was always intended to be more of a concert feature, to borrow Walt's working title for Fantasia. In fact one of the London cast compares Blast to Fantasia on the DVD. Oh well, pea-brained critics failed to understand Fantasia too.

And what was Chronicle Sourpuss's cheap crack about a mostly white cast about? What does it matter what color these folks are? This cast is actually -more- diverse than the London cast.

Last night, a house packed with paying ticketholders gave Blast! a standing ovation. Critic boy got in free, totally misunderstood its goals and ideas, and panned it. Speaking as a fellow journalist (I'm an editor at Keyboard magazine), do your homework, you pathetic hack!

mystycalchyk
09-06-2002, 11:00 AM
:( i cant beleive they would say such bad things about blast. *fumes*

i am so completely jealous of all you who were able to see it at the end. shucks, im jealous that you were able to see it any old time you like.
i saw it for the first time last year at new years. i had no idea what to expect, and loved every single solitary second.
then to my delight, not hardly even a week after i got home from my trip to dland, i saw an ad on tv for blast being performed in phoenix (a mere 2 hours away)
my sweet perfect husband bought me tickets for my birthday, and there we were....enjoying it all over again....of course i had to buy the DVD that night and have watched it many times since then
im sad to see it go :(

Bill Catherall
09-06-2002, 11:40 AM
ricksfca - Next time you want to post a review please provide a link (which I easily found, and you could have too), and don't quote the entire thing. That is a copyright violation. You may, if you choose, post one or two relevant portions (read paragraphs) that highlight the point you want to emphasize. The next time it happens I won't be as kind and I'll just delete without posting a link for others to read.

SzczerbiakManiac - Let's refrain from name calling, shall we? The man's name is Steven Winn (and has his email listed in the article ready to receive your comments). Let's give "credit" where "credit" is due.

SzczerbiakManiac
09-06-2002, 02:17 PM
I couldn't find my camera last Monday (it's still packed away somethere) so I bought one at the Park so I could take some snaps of the last "Blast!". Here (http://www.dantasyland.com/disney/blast/lastblast20020902.html) are some of them. Many of the interior shots didn't come out since I couldn't use a flash (I covered it up with my hand), and even the ones that did are horribly dark. I tried my best to tweak them in Photoshop, but I can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ears.

Anyway, try to enjoy them for what they are.

innerSpaceman
09-06-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by SzczerbiakManiac
And while I'm venting, what's up with this: "The hardworking, hard-bodied and predominantly white cast gets sold in a friendly, hometown way." And the race of the performers in relevant how, exactly?!?

To which I might add: And the hardbodiness of the performers is relevant how exactly? (I mean, besides to the quoted Maniac and myself, among others)

Michael Swanson
09-06-2002, 03:16 PM
Looking at the san diego showing of Blast! November 19 - 24

anyone want to try to go for group rates for this? its only a 10% savings.. but still.. thats 10% :)

Tue. Wed. Thu. Sun Eve; Sat/Sun Mat 10% $40.70 $33.50 $20.00
Fri Eve 10% $45.20 $36.20 $21.80
Sat Eve * 10% $59.20 $43.90 $29.50

a saturday or sunday matinee would be perfect...

DJ_MENTOS
09-09-2002, 10:54 AM
Did you guys see any "special" fans? For instance, at least one of the guys from Barrage was there. (the one that plays violin :D )
Anyone see any one else there that day?

bandboy1985
09-09-2002, 08:26 PM
if i can just interject here, the san jose production was wonderful. really beyond adjectives. regardless, i'll admit we did have the best seats in the house, and we are 'blast!' fanatics. several of the performers were from the original london 2000 cast (i recognized them from the dvd), and i can also place them at dca the closing weekend from telling descriptions of featured performers.
i could not imagine having to do the same show for a period of 2 years- six months (my longest production running length to date) seems an interminable and highly tedious length, and i could not imagin multiplying that length of time by four and changing up the locale every eight months.
i totally wish the dca production had been the full show...if you thought you liked what you saw- you'd be shocked to realize just how little you saw! 'appalachian spring' with apple-green wings and bells, 'color wheel' with all the hues, 'gee, officer krupke' in vibrant yellow (but without the unicycling trombonist ;)) and the incredible contact of the renowned lobby performance at intermission- i wish you could all experience the true power of blast!

Wizard69
09-10-2002, 11:32 PM
I saw Blast at least 10 shows a week since it started. Anyways, during the last 2 weeks, I went everyday (ok so i'm nuts!!!). Anyways I caught all 3 shows the final day and they were great!! The intensity of the audience the very last show was great. I saw the show at UCLA the second days they were there and I plan to go see them in San Diego. For anyone who hasn't seen the whole, show, I highly recommend you see it. You will truly enjoy it.