PDA

View Full Version : September 11th Quiet at Disneyland?

FOOD_AND_DRUG
09-02-2002, 11:39 AM
Other than the observance of a moment of silence at noon and the issuance of a Liberty Bell pin to employees, it sounds as if the park will be fairly quiet that day.

I would assume the flags will also be flown at half-staff.

Other than that, it sounds like a pretty low-key day. My hunch is that park attendance will be fairly light, considering it's a weekday and most kids will have just started their second week of school.

Anyone have any updates as to what's happening that day or planning on visiting the parks on September 11th?

I'm more inclined to watch the various specials on t.v. that day.

Morrigoon
09-02-2002, 05:38 PM
Hey, maybe we should have a meet.

cstephens
09-02-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by FOOD_AND_DRUG

I don't know about that. Are private corporations allowed to decide on their own when they want to fly a flag at half-staff? I thought there were specific rules about that sort of thing. I don't think I've heard any kind of official directive about flying flags half-staff that day.

I'll be at the park that day. Don't know what I'm doing exactly, but I know I'll visit Mr. Lincoln (sans headphones) and be at flag retreat.

Laffite
09-02-2002, 09:08 PM
omg, I just looked at my calendar, and I have MATH103 exam on sept 11. :(

AVP
09-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by FOOD_AND_DRUG

As of the last batch of memos, the flags will not be lowered. If there is a national decree, I'm sure that may change, but the current plans call for only a moment of silence.

AVP

PhilMP
09-02-2002, 10:12 PM
Supposedly there is a flag-raising ceremony at 6 AM for CMs that are in the park that early. No verification though, so don't make any assumptions. However, there will be a moment of silence similar to last year's at noon.

Since I get out of school around 9 AM I'll be able to go and pay my respects at noon.

Phil

Polar33
09-03-2002, 12:41 AM
From this weekends Disneyland Resort Line (cm newsletter):

Remembering September 11

On September, 11, the Disneyland Resort will join The Walt Disney Company in respectfully remembering the victims and survivors of the tragic events of that day one year ago.

At 6:30 a.m., Cast Members are welcome to join together at Town Square as the American flag is raised to half-staff and a moment of silence is observed.

Annother moment of silence will be observed at noon in all open areas of Disneyland, Disney's California Adventure and Downtown Disney. Guests wishing to participate will be invited to stand in any outdoor area and will be able to hear the announcement via the speaker systems.

In addition, Cast Members will receive a special Liberty Bell pin to wear that day, along with a special edition of the Disney Newsreel that will be available at Cast Member entry locations.

It dosn't say when the flag retreat ceremony will be that day, my reference guide lists two different time for this week (Fri-Wed 6:30, & Thu 4:30) so I can't even guess what time it will be held on the 11th.

Also, here is the US Flag Code (http://www.usflag.org/) for anyone who is interested.

Kimi_Coconuts
09-03-2002, 10:20 AM
My family and I will be there that week and we are hoping it's nice a quiet for us. I was wondering what they'd be doing to commemorate it if anything.

hefferdude
09-03-2002, 10:45 AM
At 6:30 a.m., Cast Members are welcome to join together at Town Square as the American flag is raised to half-staff and a moment of silence is observed.

On flying the US Flag at half staff - the Flag Code states:

"The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted (briskly) to the peak for an instant and then lowered (slowly) to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised (briskly) to the peak before it is lowered for the day."

As to who makes the decision to to fly the flag at half-staff,
the pertinent section of the Flag Code says, "by order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possesion, as a mark of respect to their memory.
In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law."

With the devastating deaths of NYFD/NYPD men and women, the WTC employees, and the effect on their families, friends and relatives, it would be very very appropriate for the President to make a nation wide request for all persons in the US everywhere to fly the flag at half staff on 9/11/02.
:crying: