PDA

View Full Version : The Parks Close Too Early on Labor Day

FOOD_AND_DRUG
09-02-2002, 10:11 AM
I realize today is one of the hottest days we've had this year in southern California, but we wanted to go over to the park later this afternoon/evening...but to our dismay, Disneyland closes at 8:00 p.m. and DCA closes at 6:00 P.M.

Our thinking was that it should be cooler later tonight, which would make for a nice evening at the park.

Oh well, maybe we can catch the farewell parade of Eureka at DCA in the hot sun.

With no fireworks or Fantasmic...Disneyland should be a quiet place...wrong...I bet the place will be packed...and that's factoring in that most kids go back to school tomorrow.

Someone screwed up in scheduling the closing time of the parks so early...come on...6:00 for DCA?

DLfreak
09-02-2002, 10:16 AM
I agree. :(
Me and a couple friends were planning to go up today after they got off work at 3:45. We were hoping to get into the last showing for Blast before it leaves, but it's at 5:15 since DCA closes at 6. So we've decided not to go. It's a good hour drive up there, and we figured it wouldn't be worth it for just a couple hours, especially when it will probably be majorly crowded. I'm just kinda bummed I won't get to see Blast one more time and go on the Haunted Mansion one more time before it closes for a month.

Laffite
09-02-2002, 10:25 AM
Most people have school/ work tomorrow though. Nobody's going to stay through midnight on Monday's night.

FOOD_AND_DRUG
09-02-2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Laffite
Most people have school/ work tomorrow though. Nobody's going to stay through midnight on Monday's night.

On other "Monday" holidays, Disneyland is usually open until at least 10:00 p.m. Today must be an exception with the 8:00 p.m. close.

Laffite
09-02-2002, 11:32 AM
well in that case I don't know what's up with them today :(

MonorailMan
09-02-2002, 02:38 PM
Also, today was unblocked for So. Cal/Deluxe APers.

My mom found that strange.

JeffG
09-02-2002, 05:44 PM
I think Labor Day itself has historically been a very slow day for Disneyland.

That said, yesterday (Sunday) I got the feeling that the parks were more crowded than they were expecting. The staffing levels and the amount of restaurants and such that were opened seemed insufficient for the crowds. I was particularly dismayed that they were only using one side of the Mickey & Friends tram loading areas at park closing. The crowds were packed tightly and pretty much out-of-control.

-Jeff

AVP
09-02-2002, 07:42 PM
Labor Day was extremely uncrowded - we were wondering where everyone was! With the exception of the throngs of people crushing into DCA around 4 to catch the last Blast!, the parks were both empty.

It was wonderful!

AVP

Laffite
09-02-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by AVP
Labor Day was extremely uncrowded

Guess they did the right thing closing at 8pm. Any later they'd probably lose money.

cstephens
09-02-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Also, today was unblocked for So. Cal/Deluxe APers.

My mom found that strange.

Hasn't Labor Day traditionally been an all-access day for all levels of APs?

goofey
09-03-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by JeffG
I was particularly dismayed that they were only using one side of the Mickey & Friends tram loading areas at park closing. The crowds were packed tightly and pretty much out-of-control. Aren't they doing some kind of construction on the south tram loading areas of the West Esplanade (M&F tram station)? It was for sure either Wednesday or Saturday they had that part of the tram station barricaded off. But I dunno, they might have opened it by Sunday.

Darkbeer
09-03-2002, 12:57 AM
I just got back from the DLR... (Hearthstone Lounge doesn't close at 8 PM:D )

They are still working on the "usual" side of the Mickey's and Friends tram loading (the side nearest DtD, they made everyone load on the "far" side)

They are also doing some work at the Parking Structure area.

The parks were slow today... iasw is looking good, even though the scafolding is up over most of the facade!

Rode the Matterhorn around 7:20PM, and was in the last group to ride the Haunted Mansion tonight.

Also saw the last showing of BLAST!, which was great....:)