PDA

View Full Version : Indian Village Storyteller (and other outstanding AAs)

Pages : [1] 2

innerSpaceman
09-02-2002, 08:18 AM
I just noticed that the Shaman of the Indian Village is back after a rehab absence. Since he was out of commission on my previous cruise around the RoA, I paid very special attention to him this time. If anything, he is better than ever and I truly think, after observing him quite closely, that he is the absolute best AudioAnimatronic character in the Park.

It's sort of a shame that pretty much the only way to see the Storyteller in action is to get a fleeting glimpse from aboard the Columbia or Mark Twain. This figure is truly captivating and deserves a level of guest attention similar to that given him by the ring of tribesfolk sitting listening to his tale.

What do you think of our venerable Native American Storyteller? Is he, in fact, the primo AA? What are your favorite AA characters in the parks?

rexfarms
09-02-2002, 10:33 AM
I agree he is pretty cool, but I love all AAs. I think that Mr. Lincoln and the last Indy next to the rolling ball is the best(right before the station). He moves very well and you can get a good view of him from your jeep. He moves like Harrison Ford in the Indy movies. Very cool! :)

beanpole
09-02-2002, 10:51 AM
I have two distinct favorite AA figures in the park: the Indian storyteller and the auctioneer from POTC. Both figures derive their realistic and fluid motion from WED's state-of-the-art compliance system - the one that lets the figures correct their own positioning based on feedback from internal sensors.

The Tom Morrow figure in Innoventions is also very impressive, but I'm not intrigued by the character.

Laffite
09-02-2002, 11:25 AM
I like Mr Lincoln AA because he actually sits down! Most other AAs just stand there and move about.

Gemini Cricket
09-02-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by beanpole
I have two distinct favorite AA figures in the park: the Indian storyteller and the auctioneer from POTC. Both figures derive their realistic and fluid motion from WED's state-of-the-art compliance system - the one that lets the figures correct their own positioning based on feedback from internal sensors.

The Tom Morrow figure in Innoventions is also very impressive, but I'm not intrigued by the character.
I have to agree with beanpole on this one. The storyteller and the auctioneer in POTC. By far, the most articulate AAs. C3P0 is also a well done AA. :)

As InnerspaceMan has said, it is too bad that we only get to see a little bit of the storyteller...
:)

I think Disneyland could use more AAs.

MonorailMan
09-02-2002, 02:40 PM
I still like Tom Morrow. The clearness of him is just, how do I put it, so cool. :)

Gemini Cricket
09-02-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
I still like Tom Morrow. The clearness of him is just, how do I put it, so cool. :)
I haven't seen Innoventions yet, but I will make it a point to see Tom when I go next time. :)

Morrigoon
09-02-2002, 05:37 PM
Not a big fan of Innoventions myself, but there is one really remarkable thing about Tom Morrow. If you stay watching him, rather than following the show, you'll see that Tom goofs off between sets. He swings his arms, picks his ear, etc.

Potc auctioneer is a great one, so is the laughing drunk. (the hair on the leg is a nice touch.

rexfarms
09-02-2002, 06:03 PM
I agree that the attention to detail of some of the AAs are amazing.

blusilva
09-02-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Laffite
I like Mr Lincoln AA because he actually sits down! Most other AAs just stand there and move about.

I thought it was more dramatic when Mr. Lincoln stood up from a sitting position, by my milage varies. ;)

The Indian StoryTeller, in my opinion, is the most articulate AA in the park. I suppose you could say he stands there and moves about. But I see so much more. He squats, shifts his weight from foot to foot and dances (with his feet in place, of course, but it's dancing nonetheless). He has extremely fluid and natural arm, hand, shoulder, torso and head movements. I think he's a beautiful piece of art and I wish there was a quiet place just to sit and watch him tell his story. Perhaps there is one on TSI that I don't know about?

zapppop
09-03-2002, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
I just noticed that the Shaman of the Indian Village is back after a rehab absence. Since he was out of commission on my previous cruise around the RoA, I paid very special attention to him this time. If anything, he is better than ever and I truly think, after observing him quite closely, that he is the absolute best AudioAnimatronic character in the Park.

It's sort of a shame that pretty much the only way to see the Storyteller in action is to get a fleeting glimpse from aboard the Columbia or Mark Twain. This figure is truly captivating and deserves a level of guest attention similar to that given him by the ring of tribesfolk sitting listening to his tale.
He's scary ! Have you seen his eyes from up close ? They're this really freaky green color and they're not shaped right either. Still, he's a very good AA. It's too bad people can't see him up close.

HBTiggerFan
09-03-2002, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by zapppop
He's scary ! Have you seen his eyes from up close ? They're this really freaky green color and they're not shaped right either. Still, he's a very good AA. It's too bad people can't see him up close.

I have never seen the Indian Village Storyteller. From this description I would have horrid dreams for the rest of my life. :eek:

RStar
09-03-2002, 12:52 PM
I remember watching him from TSI, I think it was from the tree house. Or it might have been the fort. I remember seeing him through a telescope or something. It's been a while. But yes, it is a good one.

Hopper from It's tough to be a Bug is also realistic, but not being human it is hard to compare (or even relate it as "real").

JRob2k1
09-03-2002, 01:07 PM
I think SIR, the robot in the preshow of Alien Encounter is an incredible AA. Very fluid, very precise. Of course, this is an a totally different park, but still...:)

-JRob

tabacco
09-03-2002, 01:10 PM
As far as the most realistic human motions go, my vote is with Tom Morrow. He may look like a futuristic robot-type, but watch his shadow sometime.

Ghoulish Delight
09-03-2002, 01:20 PM
I have to agree that Tom Morrow is definitely a fine AA, but his character is such a huge turn off that I find it hard to like him.

The auctioneer always fascinates me. He's fnatastic, all the more so considering that he holds up rather well even though you're no more than 10 feet away from him. You wonder if the Storyteller would fare as well with upclose viewing (and based on Zapp's description, aparantly not!).

innerSpaceman
09-03-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
You wonder if the Storyteller would fare as well with upclose viewing (and based on Zapp's description, aparantly not!).
Au contraire, the scariness of up-close Storyteller results from how freakishly real he seems. His eyes are indeed bizarre, but they are piercing and mesmerizing and unlike any gaze you've received from other AA friends you might have (that is, uh, if I were to have the opportunity to see the Storyteller up close, which I will emphatically deny).

Bill Catherall
09-03-2002, 03:03 PM
I haven't seen the new and improved Indian storyteller AA, so I can't really comment on it. But I did see it about a year ago and have to agree that it really did look good back then too.

But, without knowing how the Indian storyteller currently looks, I'd have to also go with Tom Morrow. The character doesn't really bug me, so it doesn't distract from enjoying the AA. And as a mechanical engineer I just stand there staring in awe watching the fluid motion without hearing a word. "Who cares what he's saying...look at those pneumatics!" :D Like an interview with Pam Anderson...nobody listens to a word she says anyway. ;)

Tom Morrow is the only reason I ever step foot into Innoventions. I watch Tom and leave.

I also really enjoyed watching the pre-show AA in Alien Encounters when we were there several (6) years ago. He was the first AA I had seen that uses the new compliant systems, so he might as well have been human to me. I haven't seen him recently enough though to compare him to anything else.

Isn't interesting that some of the most lifelike AAs are the ones without skin? Creepy!

zapppop
09-03-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
(that is, uh, if I were to have the opportunity to see the Storyteller up close, which I will emphatically deny).
P-R-O-B-A-T-I-O-N

rexfarms
09-03-2002, 03:23 PM
What about the little GM dude? He is a pretty good AA.

Ghoulish Delight
09-03-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
Isn't interesting that some of the most lifelike AAs are the ones without skin? Creepy! Most likely because without the skin, it's harder for us to pick up the minor imperfections in the movement that make it less lieflike. Without the skin, if 99% of the movement is lifelike, it looks great. But with skin, that one percent is always very noticeable since our brains are trained to perceive human movement in such a detailed way.

RStar
09-03-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms
What about the little GM dude? He is a pretty good AA.

Yah, Sparky! I named my dog after him (or was it the other way around?). He's a bit jerky (no pun intended), and small, but yet amazing at the same time (unless you're refering to the vertual Sparky;) ).

By the way, just think of Timon when you watch Tom, he's not as annoying then. They look alike, and they have the same voice- Nathan Lane. I kinda like Tom too, facinating to watch ( but not as much as Pam:) ).

innerSpaceman
09-03-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
...because without the skin, it's harder for us to pick up the minor imperfections in the movement ...But with skin, that one percent is always very noticeable since our brains are trained to perceive human movement in such a detailed way.
That is why "human" AAs are in a league of their own and, to me, will always be more impressive even if they exhibit up to 3% less lifelike movements. Because of the relevant observation posted by GD (quoted above), convincingly human AA's are much harder to achieve and thus I consider them a much greater accomplishment than the skinless variety (although the skinless kind have less fat content and are better for you).

And lest anyone allege that I am violating the terms of my probation, I hereby declare that any statements I may have made or may in future make on this thread are purely hypothetical.

Sheila
09-03-2002, 04:52 PM
To add a very useless factoid to this discussion... ;)

There was a rumor going around for a long time that the Storyteller was really an old Abe Lincoln AA that was replaced by a "newer model". I had a chance to ask a veteran Imagineer about this and he emphatically stated that this rumor was false.

This has been Your Useless Factoid For The Day. :D

Sheila

Gemini Cricket
09-03-2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Sheila
To add a very useless factoid to this discussion... ;)

There was a rumor going around for a long time that the Storyteller was really an old Abe Lincoln AA that was replaced by a "newer model". I had a chance to ask a veteran Imagineer about this and he emphatically stated that this rumor was false.

This has been Your Useless Factoid For The Day. :D

Sheila
I thought the Storyteller was the old Wicked Witch of the West AA from WDW's The Great Movie Ride? Not sure, I could be wrong, maybe she was made into the POTC auctioneer...
:confused: