PDA

View Full Version : Photography Equipment

nsaul1211
03-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi all, I was curious if any of the more serious photographers we have here ever bring extra photo equipment like tripods into the park. I have been thinking of trying to do some night photography and don't know if anyone has run into problems with tripods, such as being too big and taking up too much space.

Thanks!

Bytebear
03-06-2008, 07:32 PM
As long as you don't block walkways or disturb other guests, you can bring in tripods and other equipment. You will have to have it searched at the checkpoint.

amarvel
03-06-2008, 10:39 PM
doesnt the tripod have to be smaller then 12" when folded up though?? i thought i read that somewhere? maybe someone can post on that. but i have seen lots of photographers have tripods at the park at night, so i think as long as you are curteous it isnt a problem.

bradk
03-07-2008, 03:10 AM
that's a whole can of worms from threads i remember. that seemed to have been the policy but even so it seemed security went either way on that. that they've allowed larger and they've disallowed them at all.

mommy-san
03-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Just a few weeks ago we took our mono-pod with us, the security people didn't even flinch. And it looks like a big dangerous weapon if you ask me!!!

They did warn us that my husbands back-pack camera/laptop bag might not fit in a locker. Which I thought was nice of them.

RocketTom
03-07-2008, 12:45 PM
I routinely bring in a large dSLR camera and tripod, along with a backpack with various lenses/flash/batteries/etc. I have had NO problems at all. I also make sure I'm courtious to other guests, so I collapse the tripod in crowded areas and I don't set up right in the middle of a traffic area. I've met a lot of cool folks (and CMs) that come over to talk equipment and such.

AVP
03-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=33583) is an earlier thread from 2004/2005 that details some of the policies, rules, policy interpretations, guidelines, new policies and outright "making up as we go" efforts of the Disneyland Resort regarding the use of tripods and monopods.

I can summarize it for you in one sentance: Regardless of what you are told here about the current/official policy, Disney cast members at every level will interpret that policy in any way they wish.

From personal experience, I can tell you that small tripods and monopods are generally allowed into the park so long as you do not block a walkway and do not look like you are setting up for a National Geographic cover shoot.

From personal experience, I can also tell you that cast members - anywhere from the person who checks your bag to the person who takes your tickets to the random guest control CM along the parade route - may decide that tripods/monopods are prohibited. You can ask to speak to a lead, and it's the luck of the draw as to what that person will tell you.

Last December I watched a Disneyland cast member effectively march three photographers out of the park because they "had professional equipment" with them. (In this case it was a very long-lensed camera, not a tripod)

AVP

nsaul1211
03-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Sounds like it might be hit or miss based on the old thread, but hopefully they have loosened up over the last year or so.

bag3lbit3s
03-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I've boughten in my bag with my dslr and a few large lenses, and a fairly large bogen monopod that looks like a nightstick. They have never stopped me.

adriennek
03-09-2008, 11:00 PM
They have never stopped me.

So this isn't a snark at anyone on this thread, just to clarify.

My husband had been bringing his Ham radio into the park for YEARS without an ounce of hassle. In fact, Ham radios are totally SUPPOSED to be in the park as part of Disney and the City of Anaheim's disaster preparedness plan.

And yet, last fall, some CM decided to detain him and it escalated until the Anaheim PD arrived on scene to tell security to let him keep the radio.

Not that Anaheim PD would have any say in camera equipment. Just to say: don't get toooo comfortable just because they've never stopped you before. (And by "you" I mean the general "you" not anyone specific even though I'm quoting one person.)

Adrienne

pixar
03-10-2008, 06:55 AM
I've brought in a tripod that unfolds to about 60" tall and never have had a problem.

The Blue Parrot
03-10-2008, 09:39 PM
It's been about 10 years now, but I went to the Park late one afternoon (in the off season) with a friend who has a Grafex Speed Graphic (large format camera) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_Graphic) and was shooting 5 inch by 7 inch sheet black and white film. Her husband carried the camera in it's case and I had the wooden tripod. It stands about 4 feet tall when extended.

For the most part, we only got asked if we were taking professional photographs. And that happened every time we set up the tripod and camera. I think we did five or six different locations around the Park into the night.

We were very clear and specific with everyone who asked that this was for personal use only. Once that was done, they stood by and watched. Some even wanted to look through the view screen under the hood and asked intelligent questions about photography.

Knowing that the times have changed, if we were to go back and do the same thing again today, I will have stopped off at Guest Relations or City Hall before we start, just to be sure that folks won't take issue with it.

CV12Pirate
03-12-2008, 06:44 AM
So this isn't a snark at anyone on this thread, just to clarify.

My husband had been bringing his Ham radio into the park for YEARS without an ounce of hassle. In fact, Ham radios are totally SUPPOSED to be in the park as part of Disney and the City of Anaheim's disaster preparedness plan.

And yet, last fall, some CM decided to detain him and it escalated until the Anaheim PD arrived on scene to tell security to let him keep the radio.

Not that Anaheim PD would have any say in camera equipment. Just to say: don't get toooo comfortable just because they've never stopped you before. (And by "you" I mean the general "you" not anyone specific even though I'm quoting one person.)

Adrienne

I do not mean to upset you, I'm sure this will though. Is what you are saying is that instead of doing what the CM asked you to do, you argued with him/her to the point of the police coming out. APD has nothing better to do?

I mean really, would the world stop spinning if you were not allowed to have your radio with you? I think not!

I realize everybody is special and rules do not apply to them.

I am sure that Disneyland has more than enough radios to get the job done in case of emergency.

Below is not aimed at anyone.

Some people just need to get over themselves.

AVP
03-12-2008, 08:33 AM
I do not mean to upset you, I'm sure this will though. Is what you are saying is that instead of doing what the CM asked you to do, you argued with him/her to the point of the police coming out. APD has nothing better to do?If a random CM told you that you were not allowed into Disneyland wearing a red shirt, would you go home and change, or would you ask for clarification of what was obviously an incorrect interpretation / application of the actual policy?

I mean really, would the world stop spinning if you were not allowed to have your radio with you? I think not!If you're curious, you could go search for that old thread and find out why Kevin carries his radio with him, and the history of Ham radio activity at Disneyland.

I realize everybody is special and rules do not apply to them.Actual policy should apply to everyone. Made-up-on-the-spot "rules" apply to nobody, because they don't actually exist. As the CM learned.

I am sure that Disneyland has more than enough radios to get the job done in case of emergency.Again, you could go search for that old post if you were truly interested, but by definition Disneyland does not have enough HAM radios to get any job done, since commercial operations are not allowed to use them.

AVP

Mrs Mouse
03-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I do not mean to upset you... [snip]

In my experience, if one has to preface their comments with this phrase, or with the phrase "no offense," it typically means that what is about to be said is going to be quite upsetting and/or offensive.

RocketTom
03-12-2008, 10:24 PM
This last Tuesday, while the crowds were low, I brought in my dSLR with a monopod to check it out and test it on the Pixar Play Parade pre-preview. Whenever I bring in my tripod I leave the camera attached. If I have a bag, I will put the lenses/batteries in there, but leave the tripod/camera outside of the bag. I did the same thing with the monopod, not hiding a thing.

While I was not refused entry, the monopod got some very close looks from two CMs - guard check and entrance - where I only get casual glances with my tripod. (A monopod does look more like it could be a weapon compared to a tripod.) I know these are simply personal accounts and that may change in the future, so I'm just putting this out for what it's worth.

I didn't know about the height restrictions of a collapsed tripod. A tripod that collapses that small is almost useless for a grown person, and I certainly would not trust my camera to it. (Same with a monopod)