PDA

View Full Version : Holding account [Rules and Strategies] [Merged]

ChuckC
03-05-2008, 03:38 AM
A funny thing happened to my vacation due to start last Sunday . . . I didn't make it due to circumstances beyond my control.:crying:

I called Travelocity and canceled my flight but I got a credit that I have to use by Dec.

I called DVC and canceled my reservation at AKL Villas and was told that my points (105) were to be placed in a holding account. They have to be used by the end of my UY which is Oct. But I now have a 60 day limit which means, I guess, that I could make reservations 60 days ahead. (I compared it to making reservations 11 months ahead for your home resort or 7 months ahead for any other DVC resort.) Am I correct??:confused:

Does it mean that I could make a reservation for, say, September?

Can someone help me out? I would appreciate it. Thanks.

GusMan
03-05-2008, 05:20 AM
Real sorry to hear that you had to cancel your trip.

Someone may have to correct me on this, but the 60 day limit means that you cannot make your reservation using your points in holding more than 60 days in advance.

And, of course, you have to use them before the end of your use year.

Tony
03-05-2008, 05:51 AM
Gus is correct - if you wanted to use them on say 9/1, you could not book it until July 3 at the earliest (60 days out)

Toocherie
03-05-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks for explaining how this works--I was totally confused and thought that the 60-day limit meant you had to use it within 60 days after the canceled reservation! Although the alternative is still not great (who knows what availability there would be 60 days out) at least you potentially have more flexibility unless you're approaching the end of your use year!

ChuckC
03-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Thanks, everyone!

I guess that since I can't make reservations more than 60 days in advance, I should start calling member services and asking if there is anything available for that time period. If nada, then wait a few weeks and repeat.:fez:

ChuckC
03-06-2008, 02:53 AM
One further question: Can I add points from my regular acct to my holding acct if necessary for a reservation?

Thanks.

GusMan
03-06-2008, 04:40 AM
I believe you can add points to your reservation made with holding points if you have them available or if you can borrow from the following use year.

ChuckC
03-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I believe you can add points to your reservation made with holding points if you have them available or if you can borrow from the following use year.

As always, your info is appreciated. Thanks.:p

Sue Holland
03-08-2008, 06:49 AM
If your new reservation is being made 60 or fewer days in advance and takes more than the # of points in your holding account, you can certainly use any other points you have available to you....including borrowing from your next use year.

ChuckC
03-16-2008, 12:03 PM
I was unable to make my March 2 visit to WDW due to illness and other considerations.:mad: I now have 105 points in a holding acct. with my use year ending in October. I will lose these points if I cannot use them. I realize that I cannot make a reservation with a checkout date that is more than 60 days in advance.

A few days ago I made a reservation with Member Services for six nights at SSR (April 12 - 18), which just happens to my home resort. I thought that I could reserve a flight from Hartford for the trip. Yes, I could reserve a flight if I wanted to pay through the nose and was willing to arrive at WDW late in the day or at night. Flying out of Hartford was out of the question. So I was trying LaGuardia and JFK. A little better but still not satisfactory.

My wife and I were not willing to pay the prices asked nor were we anxious to take just any flight just to get to WDW so I canceled my reservation at SSR. We are both retired so we are able to travel whenever we want. On every trip to WDW, we would take early morning flights with the lowest possible priced r/t flight. However, on each of those occasions, I made reservations months in advance, not weeks.

So this is the problem that I face trying to use my holding acct. points. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and, if so, how did you go about solving it.

Yesterday, I attempted to make a reservation between the dates April 22 and May 10. Before I made my phone call I decided to see what flights were available for those days. I did this the most convenient way possible by going to the Kayak webside and printing out a flight or two for each day. The prices were great and the times were what we wanted. Once I did this, I called MS and asked if they had anything available for my preferred dates. The person I spoke to told me that they had a studio at the SSR for April 22, 23, 25,26, 28. For the missing dates (24 and 27) we would be put on a wait list and if we were "fortunate" enough to get accomodations we would have to change rooms. Needless to say, this was not satisfactory and the cast member agreed.

I plan to repeat my preparation with the flights before I call MS later this week asking what's available and continue to do so until I get an available studio. I don't care what resort we go to and, as I said, we can go anyday. I guess that this is my strategy.

Does anyone else have a strategy for trying to get a reservation using holding acct. points?:confused:

GusMan
03-17-2008, 03:50 AM
Chuck, I merged your recent post with your original post regarding this topic. It certainly does show a significant drawback to having points being placed into holding status.

While I dont have a specific strategy on how to use them, Im sitting here thinking what I would do if faced with the same situation. Im thinking that it comes down to being super flexible. Either you take the days that are open and bite the bullet when it comes to transportation costs or you take the chances on the waiting list and see what happens. The only other choice is to keep on looking for availability between now and the end of your use year and going when there is a balance between when you want to go (might not be your first choice as to "when") and transportation costs (not the cheapest but not the most expensive.)

The biggest problem is going to be related to your use year. Depending on when that ends, you may end up in a "use them or loose them" situation which is going to be a main driving force in your decision.

You mentioned that you were flying out of Hartford. Are there any other airports within something like a 2 hour drive or so that would help give you more flight options that may be more reasonable in costs? Sure, you have to compare the savings vs the extra driving time, etc, but it is something that may be worth looking into in your case.

Toocherie
03-17-2008, 11:36 AM
one other (wild) thought--what about booking a Disneyland Resort trip at DLH, GCH or PPH? I know the point use isn't great and the flight cost would probably be more than going to Florida--but maybe as a chance of pace?

ChuckC
03-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Chuck, I merged your recent post with your original post regarding this topic. It certainly does show a significant drawback to having points being placed into holding status.

Thanks, Gusman. As usual, I always find your advice helpful and to the point.:fez:

While I dont have a specific strategy on how to use them, Im sitting here thinking what I would do if faced with the same situation. Im thinking that it comes down to being super flexible. Either you take the days that are open and bite the bullet when it comes to transportation costs or you take the chances on the waiting list and see what happens. The only other choice is to keep on looking for availability between now and the end of your use year and going when there is a balance between when you want to go (might not be your first choice as to "when") and transportation costs (not the cheapest but not the most expensive.)

I've taken all those suggestions into consideration and we are trying to be "super flexible." Even to the point that if my wife can't go, then I will go by myself.:( (note: We are also scheduled for a trip to WDW for a week starting Nov. 30.:D) I plan on calling every week or so to see if anything is available. By anything, I thinking of a studio or a 1 BR apartment.

, , ,

You mentioned that you were flying out of Hartford. Are there any other airports within something like a 2 hour drive or so that would help give you more flight options that may be more reasonable in costs? Sure, you have to compare the savings vs the extra driving time, etc, but it is something that may be worth looking into in your case.

We prefer to fly out of Hartford but, if necessary, we could leave from LaGuardia or JFK. Newark is within two hours, I think, but not really being considered. These three airports would necessitate that we take the CT Limosine service to get to them and that would add appreciably to the cost of the transportation. (And no, I won't drive to NY and leave my car.) Of course, I guess, we could fly out of Providence but I have not checked it out. It is also just about a two hour drive. There are smaller airports like Newburgh and White Plains, also, if I want to fly Jet Blue or Spirit Airlines.

One problem that I didn't mention but is an important consideration to us is that we would like to use Magical Express. This dictates that we get a participating airline for our return flight. So we are limited to 11 or so airlines for our trip home or for a non-stop round trip.

Thanks, again. Gusman. I am confident that I will get a trip sometime in the next few months before the horde of summer travelers descend upon WDW.

ChuckC
03-18-2008, 02:32 PM
one other (wild) thought--what about booking a Disneyland Resort trip at DLH, GCH or PPH? I know the point use isn't great and the flight cost would probably be more than going to Florida--but maybe as a chance of pace?

Never thought of that but will look into it. Thanks.

ChuckC
03-25-2008, 04:15 AM
This is an update to my msg concerning the use of my holding account points. Yesterday, I contacted MS for my weekly attempt to make a reservation.

Through the great help of William, I was able to make a rezzie for May 15-21 in a studio at SSR. I was willing to accept a 1 BR apt. if forced to and I communicated that to William but he searched and searched (those cast members on the phone must be recruited for their great patience.:)) and actually gave me some choices as to dates. Wonderful.:fez:

He also took my request to be placed near the Carriage House due to my mobility problems and also informed me of some of the events going on in WDW at the time including the Garden Festival.

So a tip o' the hat to William and the entire Member Services crowd.:cool:

KJSJpipe
03-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Glad it finally worked out for you! You will be there the same time DH & I will be having our kidless weekend May 16-19. We are really looking forward to the Flower and Garden Show I hear it's really great! Maybe we will see you there! :)

ETA: have you seen this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=94362&highlight=research+trip)?

deanglin
03-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I am very that you have a trip book! Have a Great time.:)