PDA

View Full Version : Forbidden Mountain

Morrigoon
09-01-2002, 12:19 AM
I know I've mentioned bits and pieces of this idea before, but the other day, I finally finished my Forbidden Mountain attraction idea. It's by no means refined yet, but I've come up with ideas for the entire ride, start to finish now. Thought I'd share:

It could be located in a couple spots: either taking up the festival arena and FL skyway hill, or using the area currently occupied by the Fantasyland Theater. I think the Festival Arena would be perfect for it.

Queue: begins on Fantasyland side. The whole hillside would be built up to look like Forbidden Mtn. looming way up high (forced perspective). It would resemble the shot of forbidden mtn in the distance in Sleeping Beauty. A series of switchbacks up the side of the hill would be the queue, once the line is above the cm tunnel buried in the hill, it would enter a "cave" into the mountain. The load area would be near the top level of the attraction. The ride would begin slowly, with the cars following a green light (like Aurora did), through a fireplace, up a tower (the tower stairways would be built to look like stairs, but would accommodate the ride spiraling upward or downward as necessary), then hit a straightaway where you see first the spinning wheel (spotlight on the spindle) and hearing a voice say "Touch the spindle, touch it I say!", then you see an AA of Maleficent standing over a collapsed Aurora and laughing maniacally. The attraction picks up speed from there as it rounds a corner and circles Maleficent's great hall complete with cavorting imps and a fire in the middle. The coaster gets halfway around the circle, dropping one level as it does, then turns a little more sharply (towards a doorway it had previously gone across the top of), dips down to the floor level, and jumps back up to go through the doorway, which leads down a spiral staircase to the dungeon. A low-ceilinged area with AA's of Maleficent laughing as Phillip struggles against his chains. That room would be relatively pie-shaped, with the AAs at the small end, and the coaster making an arc across the front of it, it then enters a doorway at the other end, this time climbing up a spiral staircase. This one actually does an extra turn, as it needs to get higher, it comes out into the "yard" of the fortress (up a story, on the level of the battlements) To the left, over the ramparts, one can just see the top of King Stefan's castle in the distance (but cannot see what's below it!). The ride, coming through the doorway, jumps down to "ground" level, and escapes through the gate, with the portcullis threateningly low. It then immediately has to jump over the raised drawbridge and touches down on the opposite side of a deep crag. it makes a sharp banked left and dives headlong into the forest of thorns (think briar patch on Splash Mountain). From that drop, you cannot see the almost immediate climb, as each part of the coaster in this large area is concealed from the next by t***** vines. The coaster makes another left and climbs up a large hill, then proceeds to do several cool roller-coaster type moves including a loop as it zigzags across the large chamber. Basically it does a very wide Z. The last pass across the room (the top of the Z, if you will) is an arc around a huge AA Maleficent dragon guarding the castle. (the coaster by this time has risen and is a story above the level on which the dragon is "standing" (surrounded of course by smoke effects). It makes a sharp left into a long pitch dark hallway, braking to the sound of Maleficent's death throes. Another left and the now slow moving ride passes AA figures of Aurora and Phillip dancing, then enters the unload zone.

Okay, it's not perfect, but there it is! (Hard to describe some of this stuff as it's drawn, but I did my best)

The RX Droid
09-01-2002, 02:35 AM
Awesome! You're very creative, Great idea! DL could definetly use this E ticket, Mr. Soon To Be Imagineer.

And this is my first post here at Mouseplanet! Hey everyone!

RainbowBoy1019
09-01-2002, 08:17 AM
Good morning!

sounds great!!! very imaginative!:D

mousey_girl
09-01-2002, 09:00 AM
Wow!! :D :cool: :)

rexfarms
09-01-2002, 09:09 AM
Alright that was great. I really like that idea, be my guest to build that any time you want. But lets face reality, what are the chances of this being built? I mean with Pre$$ler and Eisner, it seems very unlikely. But we can all hope it will be built. Sorry for ruining your dream. I really like the idea, but until we get rid of these people, I dont think much more building in Disneyland Park will happen. :( But the idea is still great, the best idea I have heard in a long time! :)

Gemini Cricket
09-01-2002, 12:39 PM
Morrigoon-
That's a wonderful idea! I think they should start building it right away. A top notch "E" Ticket ride.
:)

bud12887
09-01-2002, 08:37 PM
umm, sounds cool, but it would take up a lot more room than the proposed festival area. The line could stat in the theater, but at least half of it, a huge show building, maybe built over the railroad to the backstage and could be hidden behind toontown. And the name should be changed, as disney is building a ride in the animal kingdom. This is an awesome idea, but could possibly be rethemed to frontierland. Maybe soemthing new, a new story provided by disney involving the fantasies of dragons, indians and cowboys. I dunno, just thinking.

Morrigoon
09-01-2002, 09:07 PM
Actually, if you remove both the festival arena and big thunder bbq, and factor in the fact that the queue will begin over the hill across from Village Haus, I think it could be made to fit. It would have to be packed in pretty tight, but look at the other tight fits (mountains).

I also thought about a way to have the DLRR run through the large room (forest of thorns/dragon) behind darkened glass. So you can use some of the space on the other side of the tracks to some extent too (might affect the Circle D a bit, but it wouldn't go that far beyond the current tracks). Anyway, I still have to fiddle with the design to get it into a tighter space, but in the large room, I have the 3 lines of track passing pretty close to eachother, with the thorny vines screening one bit of track from the next. Also, the vines would only go to a certain height, so each time the coaster hits the top of a hill, you'd be able to just see over the top of the thorns toward Stefan's castle (the castle would be on a hill (forced perspective, not actually terribly big) behind/above the dragon, so the dragon's head would be at about the first level of the castle, but not higher (that way views before reaching the dragon include the castle, but the dragon is still hidden from view by the tall thorns).

The DLRR would pass behind darkened glass (effectively black in a room that dark and with no light in the tunnel) behind the back of the castle, or if there is a way to put the dragon and castle beyond the tracks, and have the train pass behind the last leg of roller coaster track (riders would be focused on the dragon, not the train passing behind them, so they wouldn't likely notice)

lilblckrncloud
09-01-2002, 09:11 PM
A few thoughts:[list=1]
You have an incredible imagination.
I am drooling at even the imagined idea of a Sleeping Beauty themed ride.
I would love to join you in the dream world where this ride will be built! Don't listen to the "no way will this be built" -ers. It will happen and I will be the first in line!! :D
[/list=1]

Morrigoon
09-01-2002, 09:18 PM
lilblk: heh, would that I were an imagineer instead of in the airlines ;)

Maybe I'll get lucky when I go back to USC and get an internship or something.

rexfarms
09-01-2002, 09:38 PM
I would love for this to happen, and ONE DAY it will. One day...sigh. :)

merlinjones
09-01-2002, 10:47 PM
I love your idea!

I can't think of a more marketable concept for Disneyland today - - or one I would rather see. An E ticket tied to Disney mythology, with breathtaking style and a cross-over hook (dragon!!!) that would connect with all segments of the general public.

I have had similar fantasies about a coaster through the forest of thorns and past the dragon - - Let's get it built!!!:D

rexfarms
09-01-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
I love your idea!

I can't think of a more marketable concept for Disneyland today - - or one I would rather see. An E ticket tied to Disney mythology, with breathtaking style and a cross-over hook (dragon!!!) that would connect with all segments of the general public.

I have had similar fantasies about a coaster through the forest of thorns and past the dragon - - Let's get it built!!!:D

Is this going to be just a flat out coaster like space mountain, or a coaster with something like an Indy-technology twist? Sounds very cool either way. :)

Morrigoon
09-01-2002, 11:15 PM
Indy-like

Morrigoon
09-01-2002, 11:49 PM
actually to be specific, it would be a standard coaster, with Indy-quality effects. Imagine if Indy had a regular tube track coaster going through it.

Actually, this is one coaster that would lend itself decently to the overhead track style. That could be cool too. Name the trains after the different fairies: (red) Flora, (green) Fauna, (blue) Merriweather, and (purple) Maleficent.

rexfarms
09-02-2002, 10:37 AM
Alright I see, it will be very cool! :)

hairboy079
09-02-2002, 12:51 PM
I absolutely LOVE your idea! I would love to see this ride!!! Of course, Morrigoon, don't post it in too many places. We could get really unlucky and have Eisner find it and put it in WDW!:eek:

Kudos again though, this is the kind of magical boost that Disneyland needs. :)

Cadaverous Pallor
09-02-2002, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by hairboy079
Of course, Morrigoon, don't post it in too many places. We could get really unlucky and have Eisner find it and put it in WDW!:eek:
Now THAT is scary. ;)

Morrigoon, you kick butt. :cool: If only! Oh, and this ride will be decently fast, right? Not another Screamin', I hope.

Welcome to RX Droid - btw, Morrigoon is not a "Mr.". :eek: :D

MonorailMan
09-02-2002, 02:46 PM
Welcome to MousePad The RX Droid!

Please check out our Frequently Asked Questions (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=40) for MousePad rules and policies! :)

Also, if you choose to, please post something about yourself in our Introduction Thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4218)

Again, Welcome to MousePad! :)

Morrigoon
09-02-2002, 04:29 PM
Gee, thanks guys!

Nope, I'm not a Mr., and I haven't the slightest idea how to get into imagineering.