PDA

View Full Version : Skyway Station Sighting

Pages : [1] 2 3

PastorGene
03-04-2008, 07:14 AM
While sitting outside at Village Haus we spotted an 'official' group exiting the old Skyway station in Fantasyland. One had a notepad and something rolled up - looked like plans. Have there been any rumors about a new use for the building? I think it would make a great chocolate shop/gourmet cafe.

jdee
03-04-2008, 08:03 AM
I saw a group of official looking people come from the Skyway building about a year ago. Glad to hear this time they had plans. I think your chocolate shop idea is great.

Bytebear
03-04-2008, 09:58 AM
I think it would be a great place to put a Rapunzel tower.

jMom
03-04-2008, 10:13 AM
I like "your coffee getaway in the sky" ... but Rapunzel would be neat too. Quick, make a movie! ;)

Bytebear
03-04-2008, 11:18 AM
I like "your coffee getaway in the sky" ... but Rapunzel would be neat too. Quick, make a movie! ;)

Rapunzel is due to be released in 2009 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapunzel_%282009_film%29)

Jim Dear and Darling
03-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Rapunzel is due to be released in 2009 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapunzel_%282009_film%29)

Yay! I am so ready for a new animated, non-Pixar Disney movie!!!

olegc
03-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Nah, none of that cool stuff. Jay has his eyes on the next YOMD prize.

"You've heard of the Dream Suite - now it's the Dream Chalet - a small cabin hidden in the woods - includes your very own brood of feral cats and non operational pulleys. overlooks fantasyland but no bathroom included. You will be called on to assist with Fire duty during every evening's fireworks.."

Don't laugh - I halfway expect Jay to find some sort of way to attach it to the spin.

jackyb
03-04-2008, 01:38 PM
I remember reading somewhere that there was talks about that area being a meet and greet for Tinkerbell. I don't know if that is still the plan

pdxted50
03-04-2008, 02:41 PM
A return of the Skyway between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland - That attraction, riding it at night, was such a treat, especially going thru the Matterhorn!! Walt would be displeased at the closure of this attraction.

dznyphreak
03-04-2008, 02:51 PM
I love the chocolate shop idea, though it would seem a fitting place for a Tink meet-and-greet too, if they choose to push the Fairies brand. Please don't bring back the Skyway! When there's a reason to get rid of something, it should stay gone.

PanFan
03-04-2008, 03:13 PM
The chalet is sometimes used for FL cast parties. It's a nice little place (if you can stand the dust and dirt) and managers sometimes have meetings in it (which is probably what you saw). Over the holidays they had food up there for us to get on our breaks each day. I have a bunch of pictures of me in there. As far as a Tinker Bell & Co. meet and greet, I've heard that the old motor boat area is where that's going to be. No official word, and I heard that a long time ago, but I haven't heard anything about it being in the old Skyway building.

olegc
03-04-2008, 03:15 PM
A return of the Skyway between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland - That attraction, riding it at night, was such a treat, especially going thru the Matterhorn!! Walt would be displeased at the closure of this attraction.

they spent all their major refurb money on Subs already - and now the woeful Monorail upgrade will take the rest of it. Bringing back an attraction that, while quaint and nostalgic, barely handled crowds and would cost a ton to refurb two locations, poles, AND reopen the matterhorn - I don't see it.

Some sort of character meet and greet, a la Mickey's house, seems the most logical since there is an entrance and an exit already, it's a covered building (but no AC yet), and any "line" would get soaked up by the path.

then again, by saying it's logical probably jinxed it. I know - they're moving the Mad Hatter there - or the ultimate ODV... ;-P

IllusionOfLife
03-04-2008, 04:29 PM

Ok, I'm sorry if I sound rude, but how would you know what Walt would have wanted? According to your profile you would have only been 13 years old when he died, and I'm fairly certain you did not meet him prior to that, and if by some twist of fate you did I doubt even more that you had an in depth discussion about his plans for Disneyland, especially involving the Skyway. Besides, Walt said that Disneyland was created to be constantly changing and expanding.

"It's something that will never be finished. Something that I can keep developing...and adding to."

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

As far as the old Skyway station, I've always thought it would be cool if the put Mickey's Philharmagic there (assuming there is enough room back there) or some other completely new attraction. I know that they are planning on putting Philharmagic in the old Muppet Vision Theater, but I will dearly miss Muppet Vision 3-D. Oh well, I do think that something should be done with that building, weather it's a new attraction or a shop of some sort.

–Solar Surfer

bradk
03-04-2008, 05:12 PM
nothing wrong with leaving it as is. just some relic-slash-tribute to appreciate like the monsanto house of the future foundation. MK's fantasyland terminal is still 'in tact' too.. that's actually where they were reportedly placing the tinker bell meet & greet in orlando (it's next to peter pan anyway) until they opted for the toontown hall of fame and a bunch more fairies.

Baloo
03-04-2008, 07:49 PM
i doubt much can be done with that area. Too many steps and not ADA for a meet and greet.

The area is also too small for any significant attraction.

all kidding aside, i wish they had clean-up the place and used that as a YOMD prize instead fo the Gallery area. They could had easily added some comfortable chairs and then awarded prime viewing for the fireworks up there.

They could have also given the guests up there some snacks and drinks to eat during the show.

VickiC
03-04-2008, 07:58 PM
It woulde awesome to just be allowed to hang out there for a bit and get served snacks. Maybe a private character interaction? I would LOVE that dream.

LdyApxr
03-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Wow, somehow I had totally forgotten about the Skyway going through the Matterhorn. I remember riding that in 87 but just vaguely. It was my first time in DL and I was 18 wanting to see EVERYTHING!

RocketTom
03-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Search for "Disneyland Sky Way" on You Tube.

One of the great things about this was you got to see ALL of the park, then plot-n-plan where to go next. Twas a great ride.

evrythngwmn
03-04-2008, 11:19 PM
The chalet is sometimes used for FL cast parties. It's a nice little place (if you can stand the dust and dirt) and managers sometimes have meetings in it (which is probably what you saw). Over the holidays they had food up there for us to get on our breaks each day. I have a bunch of pictures of me in there. As far as a Tinker Bell & Co. meet and greet, I've heard that the old motor boat area is where that's going to be. No official word, and I heard that a long time ago, but I haven't heard anything about it being in the old Skyway building.

I can't take the dust and dirt and cat hair and overgrown plants. I was up there one night for about 20 minutes and had to leave because I was having serious sinus issues.

dznyphreak
03-05-2008, 12:06 AM
nothing wrong with leaving it as is. just some relic-slash-tribute to appreciate like the monsanto house of the future foundation.

Wait. Where is the foundation? Have I been to Disneyland all these times and missed it?

bradk
03-05-2008, 03:00 AM
it's just this green outline really. if i'm not mistaken it's near the triton statue? there's nothing in the area where it is.

technically i'm not sure foundation is the right word for it, but that's what they called it.

Jim Dear and Darling
03-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Ok, I'm sorry if I sound rude, but how would you know what Walt would have wanted? According to your profile you would have only been 13 years old when he died, and I'm fairly certain you did not meet him prior to that, and if by some twist of fate you did I doubt even more that you had an in depth discussion about his plans for Disneyland, especially involving the Skyway.

While this wasn't directed at me, I just wanted to point out to you that even if you were older than 13 years old when Walt Disney died, it doesn't make you any more of an expert then somebody who is now 13 years old on what he would have wanted.

Anybody who wants to can read books about Walt and watch documentaries on him, and then form their own opinions about what he would/would not think today. My guess in my twenties is as good as yours.

danyoung
03-05-2008, 10:13 AM
I know that they are planning on putting Philharmagic in the old Muppet Vision Theater, but I will dearly miss Muppet Vision 3-D.

The latest rumors are that Philharmagic is NOT going in to the Muppets theater, as it just structurally isn't able to take the changeover without major rebuilding. So Muppets are here for a while longer!

foolishmortal
03-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Don't you think the Golden Dreams Theator would be better for the Philharmagic? I don't think it would be too hard to change over????

I do miss the sky way even if The first time I ever rode it I sat in the bottom of the basket because It scared me to death! I was 5 at the time! (And to think I work on 16-20' ladders now decorating and think nothing of it! )I did peek out when we went in the Matterhorn!;)

oregontraveler
03-05-2008, 12:10 PM
I think the Golden Dreams Theater is even smaller than MuppetVision, so
that probably wouldn't work. Anyways, the new Little Mermaid dark ride
is going to replace Golden Dreams. In a perfect world, the Skyway Station would be ideal for a sit-down restuarant serving pastries, chocolate and coffee. Add in some Disney Gallery elements/displays and voila!