PDA

View Full Version : Does any1 know whey Oct 5th - 9th is booked?

Pages : [1] 2

peasy
08-31-2002, 11:14 AM
We booked our Fall Disneyland vacation at the beginning of the summer for October 5th to the 9th. I've been checking and for some reason the weekend of October 3rd to October 10th is completely booked on the Disneyland website. NO hotels are available. Does anyone know if there is some kind of convention or special event going on? I'm scared because we were trying to go during an off time so it wouldn't be so crowded. I can't believe that the weekend after which is Columbus day weekend has complete availability and the weekend before, (our weekend) has none!...THANKS for the help.

MouseWife
08-31-2002, 11:47 AM
There could be more to it but isn't this when the HMH is scheduled to start? Maybe previews?

Also, I think if you go on the Orange County/Anaheim Visitors Bureau website they might tell you what is going on that week.

Might be a convention?

mrcoffee
08-31-2002, 02:50 PM
Having arrived (by accident) at the same date..

It's Gay Day at Disneyland on the 5th of October, and the 6th is DCA, so that may be the reason for the high attendance..

stinkerbell
08-31-2002, 03:04 PM
Wow, that's crazy. We went the exact same week last year and it was sparse crowd-wise. We got there the day after HMH was open to the public and everything. Well, I guess this is good news for Disneyland, though.

One thing to remember is that wholesale travel companies outside of Disney also "own" rooms, so even though Disney says they are booked, it may not appear so, once you get there.

When my daughter and I went last Dec., the week after Thanksgiving, all the local hotels were booked up, as were all the Disney properties. Then we actually got to Disneyland, and we walked into the Blue Bayou at noon for lunch and we got seated right away, walked onto Indy about six times in a row. The entire park was dead. For four days, even over the weekend, it was so empty. Yet, when I was booking our room, each travel agent I spoke with had trouble finding us a room!

You never know! :)

Disney Nick
08-31-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by stinkerbell
Wow, that's crazy. We went the exact same week last year and it was sparse crowd-wise. We got there the day after HMH was open to the public and everything. Well, I guess this is good news for Disneyland, though.

One thing to remember is that wholesale travel companies outside of Disney also "own" rooms, so even though Disney says they are booked, it may not appear so, once you get there.

When my daughter and I went last Dec., the week after Thanksgiving, all the local hotels were booked up, as were all the Disney properties. Then we actually got to Disneyland, and we walked into the Blue Bayou at noon for lunch and we got seated right away, walked onto Indy about six times in a row. The entire park was dead. For four days, even over the weekend, it was so empty. Yet, when I was booking our room, each travel agent I spoke with had trouble finding us a room!

You never know! :)
That was probably due to a convention. Even though travel agents may "own" rooms, they are usually VERY good about finding someone to stay there; they usually don't let the rooms go vacant, at least not on that large of a scale.

cirquelover
08-31-2002, 04:00 PM
I believe that is the weekend of the Microsoft Convention, but I will ask my DH when he gets home. I just remember him saying we may get to go the first weekend in October because his boss may send him down.:D

cirquelover
08-31-2002, 05:01 PM
My DH says that yes indeed there is a Microsoft Convention on Oct 4-8 and it's only once a year so it has pretty high attendance. I hope you already have your hotel booked or it could be tough finding one. Good Luck!:)

stinkerbell
08-31-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by NMoreles
That was probably due to a convention. Even though travel agents may "own" rooms, they are usually VERY good about finding someone to stay there; they usually don't let the rooms go vacant, at least not on that large of a scale.

Normally, I'd totally agree, but it wasn't the case. It was "a quiet week" at the convention center. I'm not complaining--we ended up getting a great room and had a wonderful time, but the hotels were empty. Disneyland area/Surrounding area was empty. I highly recommend the week after Thanksgiving as a no-hassle, no-line week. *BUT* for whatever reason, the hotels were "booked," or had no choice in rooms/rates available.

Then I went to look at hotels on "the strip," to see what they looked like/rate comparison shopping, and all had vacancies--The Desert Inn, Park Place, Park Vue, Park Inn, Castle Inn, Carousel, Candy Cane and the Tropicana. I wanted to see what they looked like, so we took a Sat. afternoon to look and ask questions and every single one had vacancies. Kinda ticked me off at the time, as I had asked specifically for Tropicana or Candy Cane when trying to book the trip months before. Our friends who were there at the same time, had the same experience. They ended up at the Tropicana through the Disney Travel Co.

**So who really knows.** If you don't call the hotels directly, you don't seem to get a straight answer, and even when you do call the hotel directly, often times you don't get a straight answer, but perhaps you'll get a room. I don't use a travel agent anymore. I'm sure I will again in the future, but it seems that the packages they've put together cost waaaaaay more than the sum of the parts. It would have cost me a minimum of $500 more to book a package, instead of piecing it out myself for our upcoming trip. Other packages were costing almost $1000 more. Craziness.

Peasy, no matter what, you all will have a wonderful time! Enjoy! :)

Disney Nick
08-31-2002, 06:05 PM
No convention?? I'm dumbfounded too then. Oh well, no reason to complain of a quiet trip to the DLR :)

peasy
09-01-2002, 09:40 AM
I searched for Gay Day at Disneyland and sure enough October 4th - 6th are the dates. They very well may be a Microsoft convention also, so we are going to try and change our dates to the week before or the week after. I was trying to go on an "off" weekend and well, that isn't quit what I had hoped for! :D Thanks for all the help.

roberts1398
09-01-2002, 05:17 PM
Peasy ... I was originally planning on that weekend, but changed on my travel agent's advice when we heard it was Gay Days, and that they were expecting 10.000 additional people there that weekend (and remember, the average summer busy day attendance at DCA I hear was 8,000 -10,000 total).

I also decided against the next weekend as it's Columbus Day, and the busiest day between Labor Day and the day before Thanksgiving...

So I'm going the weekend before! And if you have the ability to re-book, you might want to watch the rates on Expedia. Don't know if you saw my post, but it looks like their last minute off-season rates for PP are going to be $99 and for DLH $129, with the 4th nite free (for an average price of $75/nt for PP and $96 for DLH)

peasy
09-08-2002, 02:48 PM
That's funny. I originally booked the 5th - 9th because our AAA agent suggested against the weekend of the 11th, etc because it is Columbus Day. So we also opted for the weekend before,...we may see each other there and not even know it!!!! It cost an extra $140.00,....ouch! Because we had originally booked so far ahead before, but it will be worth it to have the park be somewhat empty instead of crawing with people! That is the main reason why we take our daughter out of school to go, instead of going in the summer with everyone else! Anyways, have a great trip, happy mouse days!

roberts1398
09-09-2002, 10:37 AM
Fortunately, my son is in a year-round school, and is only missing a half day on the day we leave. I can't wait to go! I read a trip report on LP from someone who went last week on a weekday and said they walked on ride after ride after ride... Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

danyoung
09-09-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by cirquelover
My DH says .....

Maybe I'm a big dumb guy, but I can't come up with what a DH is???

Bill Catherall
09-09-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by danyoung
Maybe I'm a big dumb guy, but I can't come up with what a DH is???
I'm a big dumb guy too, and it had me stumped for a while. It turns out it stands for "dear husband."

disguy
09-09-2002, 01:39 PM
Does Disneyland Promote the "Gay Days" or is it just a scheduled outside event?

danyoung
09-09-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
I'm a big dumb guy too, and it had me stumped for a while. It turns out it stands for "dear husband."

Thanks - I just couldn't get those 2 letters to make any sense!!!

danyoung
09-09-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by disguy
Does Disneyland Promote the "Gay Days" or is it just a scheduled outside event?

No, the event is NOT sponsored or condoned or promoted by the Walt Disney Company. I get really tired of people (not you!) ragging on Disney for promoting a gay lifestyle. Aside from any moral or social issues, it just ain't true.

disguy
09-09-2002, 01:50 PM
I really don't think they give a damn as long as there attendance gets up. I wouldn’t say it's not "condoned" nobody knows that but the company itself nor would they be so dumb to say such a remark. Frankly a simple yes or no response would have sufficed :)

danyoung
09-10-2002, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by disguy
Frankly a simple yes or no response would have sufficed :)

WOW! You try to answer a question, and what do you get? OK, maybe this subject touches a nerve for me. I'm a hetero male with great tolerance for other lifestyles, and absolutely NO tolerance for the religious right's campaign to smear anything assoiciated with said lifestyles. Their bombarding of the Disney company for their handling of all things gay just infuriates me. Sorry if it seemed I was lashing out at you.

opus
09-10-2002, 08:37 AM
Not to be bringing up old, tired dicussions, but a lot of the "Gay Day" questions can be answered here. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/register.php?a=act&u=1069&i=69288371)

Be forewarned, it's a long thread with some strong opinions. Keep in mind it was for last year's Gay Day. BTW, I was there with my family (including young children) for the whole weekend, and everything was great.

disguy
09-10-2002, 08:53 AM
That link dosen't seem to work.

opus
09-10-2002, 09:13 AM
Hmm... (shrugs, tries again)

link (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1708)

I think it was because I changed my email address in my profile, and submitted while I was in limbo. Or something. :confused: Oh well.

Bill Catherall
09-10-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by opus
Not to be bringing up old, tired dicussions, but a lot of the "Gay Day" questions can be answered here.
Well, it will either answer some questions or start some new fires. :( ;)

opus
09-10-2002, 09:25 AM
Well, I for one enjoyed that thread. And what's wrong with a few fires now and again? ;)