PDA

View Full Version : Desert Inn (repost!)

disguy
08-31-2002, 10:04 AM
I can't seem to find the thread I started..I hope it's ok to re submit this question.. I asked a couple weeks ago if anyone stayed at the Desert Inn and suites and most people said it was great. Now, I just looked on the MP reviews and it got a terriable rating from some reviewers.

So...now I panic :) Has anyone stayed at this location not the Desert Palm but the Desert Inn and was it a nice stay?

Thanks so much for your help guys!

Bill Catherall
08-31-2002, 10:25 AM
Here's (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8872) your original thread.

FYI: We have a search function. ;)

kranders
08-31-2002, 10:28 AM
Disguy,
I was one of those reviewers. Now, keep in mind that I normally stay at the DLH and am used to that kind of 4 star accommodations and service. I was going down for just the day on 8/24 but at the last minute decided to try and get a room and stay Sunday, also (MP meet!). DLH was totally booked, I can normally get in for $99 or $129 on the AP rate. Because of your previous thread and it's inputs I reserved a room at the Desert Inn and Suites, what's funny is that your concern that it is all non smoking is what attracted us to it, my wife is asthmatic and has other sensitivities to cleaning chemicals, perfumes, etc. When I got there the room was unacceptable to us and we left and booked at the Anaheim Sheraton for $99. Like I posted in the review section, it's location can't be beat for close proximity to the DL plaza, my room was clean and would be fine for just spending the night. I prefer a room with a little more comfort level and I gladly pay the extra money (not that much more!) to get it.
I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions and this is all just IMHO!:)

peasy
08-31-2002, 11:07 AM
We stayed at the Desert Inn & Suites on our Honeymoon. It was before they had remodeled the entrance to the park to practically join to the Desert Inn's entrance! The reason that we picked Desert Inn is that we were on a tight budget for our honeymoon and of all the hotels I called the person answering the phones at Desert Inn was SOOOO friendly and helpful compared to all the others that I talked to that I booked right away. They gave a larger room than what we booked and we were so pleased. It had a fridge and a microwave and the deck on the top of the building has a great view. We have since returned to Desert Inn and were equally as pleased on our return trip. They are clean rooms and now that the entrance to the park couldn't get any closer it is SOOO worth the stay. You have to remember that this is more economical hotel so there is some noise and activity and little parking but if you spend most of your time in the park like we do, your so tired when you lay down you don't hear a thing except zzZZZZs! The staff has been incredibly friendly on all of our stays there and why they are consistently on the BEST deals on Harbour Blvd I'll never know. We booked too late last year and Desert was full so we compromised and stayed at the Best Western next door and it was much more expensive and the bathroom floors were sticky!!! Hope this helps, I know everyone has different opinions. If you are looking for a 4 star type hotel, Desert will probably dissapoint you, but if you are looking for the best deal for a pretty great down to earth hotel with front door service to the park, you will be happy!

Andrew
08-31-2002, 01:34 PM
My wife and I have stayed there a few times. I just asked her if we liked it and she said "yeah it's okay." So I guess it wasn't too memorable, but it wasn't bad. I seem to recall there was no mini-fridge in the room, which is an important factor for me.

Lately we've been staying at the Park Inn International/Park Inn Anaheim. Comparable rates, still walking distance to the parks, and they do have mini-fridges in every room.

stinkerbell
08-31-2002, 03:13 PM
I haven't *yet* stayed there, but am booked to stay in Oct. for $44 a night for a "deluxe" King room. I, too, found the staff to be friendly and knowledgeable over the phone. There are now mini-fridges and microwaves in each room, as well as spa tubs. It sounds like it's going to meet our needs--Clean, close and cheap.

I've stayed at Park Place Inn, too, and it cost a bit more (almost double, for a room with a King bed), but it was also nice, clean and close.

Disguy, we'll have to post reviews when we return. It sounds like a lot of people have questions about this hotel. :)

GoldenEars
08-31-2002, 03:28 PM
Hey DisGuy~

I, personally, would recommend you stay at the Anabella Hotel, which is right across the street from DCA (Katella and Disney Dr.)

It's walking distance to the Parks and Downtown Disney. It just opened up over a year ago and it has some good rates too! It has 2 pools and a Jacuzzi, workout room, nice restaraunt, nail and hair salon, and next door to Tiffy's!

So, how come I know so much about this place??? Because I used to work there, I opened up the property. For all it has, the rates are still pretty good and reasonable. I'd check it out and see what they're offering in September.

I also worked at the Sheraton Anaheim Hotel for 7 years, but they may be a little too pricey. Besides, I think the Anabella has a more California feel to it, and it's more laid back. I think you'd like it, DisGuy. Check it out and let me know. The hotel is mostly a non-smoking hotel too.

Talk with you soon, buddy!

Patrick:)

tlovesdis
09-02-2002, 08:11 PM
I am one of the ones that posted a negative review of the Desert Inn. We stayed there in October of last year and would not stay there again. We booked a family suite and got two rooms that had a connecting door. The floors were so dirty that our feet and socks were turning black. It was disgusting. The pool is indoors which is nice, but it is way too small for the number of guests using it. The parking is very limited. If they are out of spaces, you are out of luck. Finally, the breakfast they serve is a joke. I am not expecting super great food, but the bread was stale, as was the OJ, and the coffee was nasty. We paid $99 per night, midweek, for our"suite". I would have paid a lot more to stay somewhere else had I known how bad this place was going to be.

Mickeyslittlehelper
09-07-2002, 09:11 AM
I stayed there for two weeks, from aug 22 - sept 3. Our stay was great. The beds were comfy, the showers were great, the maids did a great job everyday and had our room done-up by at least 1:30. Our stay was excellant!! I would definately do it again! Also, the continental breakfast was pretty good, but with the summer hours, we were gone most days before it was open (7:30am). It had toast, fruit, and pastries, and breakfast drinks.
The only bad things to me was the the pool was dirty. It had such heavy use that it was cloudy. Parking is not that good, has about 40 spaces, for over 100 rooms. But, the hotel is located closest to the gates (same with best western inn and mini suites) which is good. If pool and parking is not a concern, this is a great place to stay.

Hope this helps,
John:D

stinkerbell
09-07-2002, 12:20 PM
Thank you, Mlh, I was beginning to have some doubts re: our decision to stay at Desert Inn. I doubt we'll be at the pool and we don't need a parking space. The hotel has gotten pretty good reviews elsewhere. I liked Park Place Inn, too, but they're charging almost double what the Desert is charging for very similar accomodations......

My goals are still:
1. Clean
2. Cheap
3. Close (ie, no shuttle schedule to worry about)

Thanks! I feel better again. :)

adriennek
09-07-2002, 12:43 PM
Actually, I'm pretty familiar with the parking lot at Desert Inn. Were you exaggerating on purpose? There are two levels of parking there. I would definitely describe the parking lot as "crowded" but I wouldn't say there were only 40 parking spots.

Adrienne K

taylor99
09-07-2002, 01:13 PM
We stayed at the Fairfield Inn last summer it was clean, cheap and very close to the park. I also believe they have the fourth night free right now.

Morrigoon
09-07-2002, 04:36 PM
If you have a car, you might consider the Embassy Suites Buena Park. It's an older ES, from back when they didn't build them all the same. I find it's less expensive than the Anaheim one (that one's REALLY nice though!). My family stayed at the BP one last spring and liked it.

stinkerbell
09-07-2002, 05:32 PM
Fairfield was cheap and some say clean, but I know where it is and Desert Inn is quite a bit closer. (Haven't decided whether to bring a stroller for a short four year old's legs for the walk to the park or just to rent one at the park). So closer is better for us.

No car. And I've done the shuttle thing a lot, and it's just faster to stay across the street. Esp. with kids. Esp. at park closing. I've had to wait 30 min. for a shuttle that was too full several times before. And since it's just the two of us, we don't need a room bigger than a room with a King size bed.

But thanks for the suggestions all! $44 a night suits me fine. :)