PDA

View Full Version : Is DVC right for us, and how much?

Wiggler
03-02-2008, 07:12 AM
We are a family of 5,( a mom, dad, 5 y.o. daughter, and 6 month old twin boys). We usually go to Disney about once a year. There have been times when we ended up going twice in a 12 month span. In the future, we are wondering if DVC could comfortably accomodate 5 of us. What are the room arrangements like? How much does it cost to get into the DVC? How is the DVC presentation there, and is it worth your time? We are also considering annual passes. We are regulars, but know little about annual passes and DVC.

GusMan
03-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Please allow me to link (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=89393)to this thread started by DVC Mike as it should help get you started in your decision-making process.

As for room arrangements, you have Studios, 1 and 2 BR villas (that sleep 4 and 8, respectively) and some resorts have Grand Villas that sleep 12. I believe that some of the 1 BR and 2 BR villa's at the Kadani Village portion of AKV will also include a fold-out chair which will allow one additional guest in those rooms.

Costs currently start at $104 or $106 per point. (I cant remember which right off hand, but thats close enough for a planning estimate. :) ) There is usually some sort of incentive being offered as well. In my example, I had my choice between dollars off per point or extra developer points good for one year. There is a minimum of a 160 point purchase if going through DVC directly or you can go through a reseller and get a few bucks off that way as well.

The presentation is worth your time and they do not pressure you one bit. If you do some homework first and come with questions, they will take a lot of time to answer them throughly. You do not have to make your final decision there at the presentation, but can do everything from home afterwards as well.

As for annual passes, that is a whole different topic with a whole different set of factors to consider. However, there currently is a discount on AP's for DVC members. But just as a disclaimer that it is a "perk" of membership and something that they could change or remove at any time. (Just like any of the perks.)

I hope that helps starting you off on your quest. Feel free to post any other specific questions you might have.

mom22gls
03-03-2008, 01:09 AM
The presentation is unique in that it is very low-pressure, not at all like the timeshare presentations you hear about, when they hold the "free" tickets or other incentive until you have had a hard-pressure sales presentation. I, deliberately, went without my husband, and took my small child with me. They were very nice, and low-key, called a van to take us from Epcot, with a child seat, even though it was clear that they were not going to make the sale that day. I took the materials home, and we took our time making a decision, without any pressure from the salesman. There is a minimum, initial purchase, which may be sufficient for your family, and you can decide how you will use your points. It is really helpful if you can plan well ahead for your vacations. You can bank some or all of your points from one year, and borrow from the next, which helps economize. Last year we got a one-bedroom villa, and having a full kitchen for breakfasts and snacks, and a separate living room area was very nice, with the kids. To give you some idea on how your usage may go, we have 210 points. Last year we did Sunday-Thursday (lower point days) in a one-bedroom at Saratoga Springs, our home resort, in August. We then moved to a studio at the Beach Club villas for the weekend, to enjoy the full-hotel amenities. I had always wanted to stay there, but would not put out the cash for the room. It's easy to resort-hop, bell services will move your stuff for you. I had some points left, which we banked till this year. In a couple of weeks, we will do four nights in a two-bedroom villa, at Saratoga Springs during the week, and are taking my parents, which will use up a lot of points. In June, we are doing the Disney cruise (paying cash-you can use points, but at our level it really uses more than we have), but are adding a total of five nights, before and after the cruise, two at Beach Club, and three at Animal Kingdom Lodge, staying in studios. This will require borrowing some points from next year, but we have other travel plans next year, and won't need all our points. You can use your points for other destinations, but you, by far, get the most "bang for your buck" at Disney World, so don't consider the DVC unless you plan to do regular Disney vacations for the foreseeable future.

Wiggler
03-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Ok appreciate the help.....can I ask a few more questions.....?

If the minimum to buy is 160 points which at $106 equals $16,960 to invest.. but how do the points work?

I assume that you use points to stay different places at probably different rates as you explained in the e-mail.....but, does 1 bedroom @
Saratoga springs costs "X" amount of points where by a 2 bedroom villa @ Saratoga springs costs 2x or 3x? How many points does it take for
example to stay at a 1 bedroom vs. a 2 bedroom?

And, then once you start spending points how do you get new points? do you buy them at a current/new rate? And also, where can they be used...
such as which resorts and is that based on availability?

thank you for your help...

mom22gls
03-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Ok appreciate the help.....can I ask a few more questions.....?

If the minimum to buy is 160 points which at $106 equals $16,960 to invest.. but how do the points work?

I assume that you use points to stay different places at probably different rates as you explained in the e-mail.....but, does 1 bedroom @
Saratoga springs costs "X" amount of points where by a 2 bedroom villa @ Saratoga springs costs 2x or 3x? How many points does it take for
example to stay at a 1 bedroom vs. a 2 bedroom?

And, then once you start spending points how do you get new points? do you buy them at a current/new rate? And also, where can they be used...
such as which resorts and is that based on availability?

thank you for your help...

You buy the points once, and have them to use each "use year." So, basically, you have whatever number of points you buy to use over a 12 month period, but you can save some or all from one year to the next by "banking" them, or get an advance on the next year's points by "borrowing" them. You pay a maintenance fee each year, based on the number of points you own, and that amount varies, depending on your home resort. You need to review the points charts, then it all makes more sense. For example, for my trip in a couple of weeks, each night we spend in the 2 bedroom villa will be 45 points, because it is "premier" season. The same unit, at the same resort, at other times, would vary from 27-36 points. That is for Sunday-Thursday nights. For Fridays and Saturday nights it's at least double the points (which is why, last summer, we moved to a studio for the weekend; some people might just pay cash for a hotel room, to save their points). Other resorts have different point values. You can reserve at your home resort 11 months ahead, and at any other 7 months ahead. It's more flexible than the old model of timeshare, because you can use your points whenever you want. Take the tour, and a lot of this will make more sense.

GusMan
03-03-2008, 11:46 AM
In this past, to get an idea as to how many points are used during certain times of year and for the different kinds of rooms, I used this chart. (http://dvcbyresale.com/chart.php?pageid=beachclub)
Using that chart, you can see how many points a certain vacation would need. If that is your usual time of year in which you go to WDW, then that would give you a good idea of how many points you would usually need.

To go along with what mom said...

- Your point allotment is annual. You will get your allotment of points starting the first day of your "use year." Mine, for example, is a March use year.
- You can use those points from day one of that use year through the following year. So, for me, its March 1 through Feb 28th.
- You can borrow points from the following year. But once you do, you must use them during the current use year or loose them.
- You can bank points in your current use year for use in the following year. But once you bank them, you cannot unbank them.
- You can bank and borrow points to create a larger pool of points.
- The nice part is that you dont have to bank/borrow all your points at once. Like this year, we banked all our points from last year to use this year. We will end up banking a few points for next year when is all said and done.

You will have your annual dues which vary by the resort you own and depends on how many points you currently own. They are payable in January, regardless of use year.

As for use... you can make your reservations 11 months in advance at your home resort. (That is the resort for which you own.) You can make reservations at other DVC resorts 7 months in advance as well. You can also use your points for other non-DVC resorts at WDW and DLR, but to be honest, its not the best use of points as you will use a lot more points for the same stay.

If you would like, tell us a little more about how you vacation and maybe we can give you some examples as how that would work if you were DVC members. Where do you usually stay and for how long? What time of year do you like to vacation and do you take only one or multiple vacations during the course of a year?

Lani
03-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Our own Tony Phoenix wrote a very nice article as well as an impressive Excel spreadsheet (that allows you to make your own financing calculations) here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm070306atp).

GusMan
03-03-2008, 01:27 PM
And might I say that I used said spreadsheet to help me make my decision from a financial standpoint.