PDA

View Full Version : the cheapening of Disney

Tref
08-30-2002, 11:15 PM
I am feeling so frustrated by what I see as the cheapening of Disneyland. I read in the forum about how the Rocket Rods could have possibly succeeded had management simply re-built the tracks, rather then relying on the ones already standing. Grizzly rabid or Grizzly Rabids Jr., as it more properly should be called, is a cheap copy of their much more exciting version in Animal Kingdom (that concludes with an unbelievable forest fire)! There is still not a ride in Toontown that would ever warrant a second visit and now, what for me is the very worst offense, we are getting a second rate Tower of Terror ride! For those of you who have been lucky enough to ride the one in Florida, you know that it is quite simply mind-blowing. Easily, my all time favourite Disney ride of the last thirty years. Even better then Indie! I pains me, right down to the pit of me stomach, that we can't get the same version. Isn't there anything that we can do as a 'Disney community' to get the message out? It may be too late for the Tower of Terror ride, but what about the next cheap knock off? Does anybody have any ideas as the best method? A letter writing campaign? I have no experience with computers (I can't even figure out how to use my spell check button) but if someone here felt as I do and devoted a web site to the subject of the decline of Disney rides, I certainly would so all I can to help with the content. Any takers? Any ideas?

i remain

rexfarms
08-30-2002, 11:36 PM
I totaly agree on t:crying:he cheapness of the Disney Company. I feel that soon I am going to have to resign my Disney fanatacism(being a fanatic) an:crying:d enthusiam. I am DEEPLY disgusted. Disney, will youou please go back to the company that I fell in love with? Seriously now! VERY SOON THERE WILL BE SOMETHING THAT WILL ACT AS THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL'S BACK! sigh, sad, dead. There are not enough sad/crying/confused faces to express the feelings that I have.

Bill Catherall
08-31-2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Tref
...but if someone here felt as I do and devoted a web site to the subject of the decline of Disney rides, I certainly would so all I can to help with the content.
You're looking at one...sort of. While this site isn't "devoted" to such a cause, it does bring up these problems quite frequently. Ever read the Disneyland Info Guide (DIG) by Al Lutz? And there are many other sites that do the same. It's not like there is a shortage of sites complaining about quality and trying to tell Disney what to fix and how to make things better.

If you really are dissatisfied and want to get your message to any kind of company you need to do what gets their attention. Don't go there, don't buy it. That hits them right were it hurts...in the pocket book.

cstephens
08-31-2002, 11:27 AM
I am feeling so frustrated by what I see as the cheapening of Disneyland. I read in the forum about how the Rocket Rods could have possibly succeeded had management simply re-built the tracks

I don't think there was any way to "simply rebuild the tracks".

rexfarms
08-31-2002, 12:08 PM
:crying: :) Sad :):crying:

Gemini Cricket
08-31-2002, 01:53 PM
I wonder if the way everything is going with Disney is part of a cycle. I mean, it sort of feels like the Disney we had several years ago when they were making "The Black Cauldron" and "The Fox and the Hound", these aren't bad flicks, but they're just okay. Passable. (Then when "Mermaid" came along, things went back to better...) Maybe Disney is back to being just passable again. This includes the quality of their parks and the rides...

Maybe we're on the verge of a renaissance for Disney again? Maybe that will come when Eisner is let go.

Hey, a guy can hope.
:)

Laffite
08-31-2002, 02:32 PM
Perhaps this is the Disney recession before the big party, the 50th anniversary. And everything should pick up again in a year or two.

rexfarms
08-31-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms
:crying: :) Sad :):crying:

well the :) are supposed to be :( Sometimes I feel like such an idiot. Can you explain more about this circle thing? Things will be better later? huh? I am confused.

disneyhead
09-01-2002, 02:39 AM
Wasn't 102 Dalmations and the exclusive merchandising contract with K-Mart a clue?

Brad
09-01-2002, 04:57 AM
*forms an angry mob with torches*

"I say we KILL the Eisner!!!!!!"

;)

rexfarms
09-01-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Brad
*forms an angry mob with torches*

"I say we KILL the Eisner!!!!!!"

;)

haha I think we are all thinking this. ;) ;)

Iceman
09-01-2002, 02:39 PM
Even in jest I wouldn't say I want to kill the guy. It might be interesting to bring in a vibrant, dynamic new leader but I haven't given up hope on Eisner yet, either.

I really think Gemini Cricket has it right. Business is cyclical, and Disney is just in the doldrums right now. It shows in the lack of creativity and lowered employee morale, but looking at the horizon (Treasure Planet, Mission: Space, etc.) there is cause for hope. The pendulum is already swinging, and when the economy rebounds as well, Disney will be riding high again!

merlinjones
09-01-2002, 02:46 PM
>>The pendulum is already swinging, and when the economy rebounds as well, Disney will be riding high again!<<

I don't think the forecast at Disney can truly change until the nasty corprate culture down there evolves too. Until it does, creatives will be mistreated, reinvestment will be misspent, the bottom line will predominate and the company's rich history will be ignored.

Also, they need to give up on the rebranding effort, which is laying an egg. I don't see anyone ready to admit these problems yet - - or see that it's superior product - -not marketing - - that will lead them back to glory.

Much as I admire your optimism, I can't see it happenning with such entrenched arrogance and lack of understanding of the product engrained in the management system at every level.

Tref
09-01-2002, 04:57 PM
...but if someone here felt as I do and devoted a web site to the subject of the decline of Disney rides, I certainly would so all I can to help with the content.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ahh, there is nothing like being quoted a few times to better see oneself as they really are -- illiterate! Sorry. But then I did warn you all about my inability to work the spell check! Thanks to everyone for NOT pointing it out!

g.

p.s. I may take the advice of Mr. Catherall and make this solemn vow -- I will not spend a single cent at DCA EVER AGAIN if ToT is, as I fear, a cheap knock off the Florida orginal.

And as far as 'simply rebuilding the tracks' goes with the Rocket Rods, I bet you they wish they had now!

i remain

SpamSpamSpam
09-01-2002, 05:18 PM
I have no will-power in this area. I'll scream bloody murder everytime but the fact is I'll keep going back because there is nothing else quite like it anywhere. Even with the sometimes
disapointing lack of creativity, or failure to meet expectation. What spellcheck?

LIMANDL4EVA
09-01-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
I don't think there was any way to "simply rebuild the tracks".
exactly

wdtv
09-08-2002, 10:21 PM
<<Perhaps this is the Disney recession before the big party, the 50th anniversary. And everything should pick up again in a year or two.>>

I hope to God that you're right! So far, the Small Word phase of the Fantasyland refurbishment project is looking good. And If all goes well & Pressler doesn't have one of his crazed budget slashing episodes, WDI will be able to go ahead with their planned breathtaking E-ticket rehabs!

Of course, we shouldn't look forward with heavy anticipation just yet. Late 2004 is still two years away.

And Wasn't Walt Disney's 100th birthday at WDW an eagerly anticipated party? Look at how "well" that went :). Even Diane Disney Miller was furious at how her fathers company was "celebrating" his anniversary!