PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft over Disneyland

Finding Gigi
03-01-2008, 05:08 PM
I was at Disneyland last night and 2 fighter jets flew over the castle. Then an hour later a helicopter was circling for 15 minutes over the park. I thought it was a no fly zone over the park or am I wrong?

bradk
03-01-2008, 05:17 PM
it's the same as at WDW. it's a 'temporary' flight restriction (TFR), not a no-fly zone. basically anyone is free to fly over as long as they're above 3,000 feet. there are exceptions allowed for those (including those who obtain a waiver) to fly below that altitude as well.

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_3_2123.html

disney lobbying at its best. i just realized just what company disney is in when it comes to 'security'-labeled TFRs

Malcon10t
03-01-2008, 05:32 PM
I was at Disneyland last night and 2 fighter jets flew over the castle. Then an hour later a helicopter was circling for 15 minutes over the park. I thought it was a no fly zone over the park or am I wrong?You are wrong. Even if there was a no fly zone, military and police are exempt.

In addition to what Brad just posted, if I, as a private pilot want to fly over at lower than 3500 AGL, all I have to do is request it, and it is generally approved. By request, it goes something like this "Air Traffic, Cessna 12 MickeyMouse would like to descend to 3 0." ATC "Cessna 12 MickeyMouse, descent to 3 0 approved."

That said, most aircraft wont, because it plays with your fuel consumption.

Finding Gigi
03-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Okay thanks. The two jet fighters were rather low and loud. Everyone stopped to watch them fly over.

cookie7762
03-01-2008, 07:35 PM
there should be a permanent article on this site with the actual airplanes over disneyland rules because I swear that once every 2 months there is another debate on here about whether or not its a no fly zone.

LdyApxr
03-02-2008, 02:05 PM
I have never seen them over Dland(not local for me though lol) but I can tell you that every year at the MotoGP race in Laguna Seca, they have a low fly-by from two fighter jets and they are loud! They are low enough that you can feel the vibrations. It is awesome! LOL

motomickey
03-02-2008, 03:49 PM
thought it was quite odd--they seemed very very low, but I am sure they were at the correct height.

RocketTom
03-02-2008, 08:27 PM
This last Thursday (Feb 28th), there was a large C-130 that was circling the area. It's quite a large aircraft, so it wasn't just over the DLR area - but covered a much larger space to the north and east.

And on certain weather days, you can see passenger jets fly by on a turn manuver to SNA.

The best one is when a military helo flies down Main Street - and you see the gun on the front targetting different buildings. You know the gunner is inside going "PAPAPAPAPAPAPAPA!!!!"