PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain incident - what happened

Darkbeer
08-30-2002, 04:48 PM
The webmaster of MouseInfo.com reported that something happened at Space Mountain today that will keep the ride closed the entire weekend, anybody have more information????????

zapppop
08-30-2002, 05:05 PM
I heard someone was decapitated

DisneylandKid
08-30-2002, 05:07 PM
Wow! That sounds serious.

And, zappop, where did you hear this?

Andrew
08-30-2002, 05:11 PM
Michael's post (http://www.mouseinfo.com/mousetalk/showthread.php?postid=44931#post44931) specifically says no one was severely injured. I suggest refraining from speculation until it becomes clear what actually happened.

MonorailMan
08-30-2002, 05:11 PM
Lies, Lies, It's All Lies! :D

Back on track: I would like to know what happened too.

Darkbeer
08-30-2002, 05:19 PM
What I am hearing is that the brake system failed and caused a rocket to hit another rocket in the loading area.....

This matches up with what Michael said, that noone was seriously hurt, and an incident of that type would cause the ride to close to have the entire safety system checked and repaired, plus the fact that this would require DOSH to come out and sign off on the repair, and that wouldn't happen until after Labor Day.

So it looks like no Space Mountain this weekend.......

goofey
08-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
What I am hearing is that the brake system failed and caused a rocket to hit another rocket in the loading area.....Didn't something like this happen on Space about two summers ago??

Ghoulish Delight
08-30-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
I heard someone was decapitated

I suggest refraining from speculation until it becomes clear what actually happened.And I qould suggest refraining from listening to anything zapppop speaks as fact. I think he's still giddy from being in Paris.

innerSpaceman
08-30-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
And I qould suggest refraining from listening to anything zapppop speaks as fact. I think he's still giddy from being in Paris.
He's probably been drinking again, too.

MonorailMan
08-30-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by goofey
Didn't something like this happen on Space about two summers ago??

Yes, I recall something like it did.

Reminds me of RCT, "Station Brakes Failer"! Only, the trains don't explode. :D

MickeyD
08-30-2002, 09:09 PM
I think just about anytime you read here on the pad that someone was decapitated you can take it as a joke.

driftwood714
08-30-2002, 09:17 PM
Two years ago was when one of the trains derailed. No crashes there.

Darkbeer
08-30-2002, 11:15 PM
Ok, here are some more details, on Thursday afternoon the following took place...

During a routine Cascade Ride Stop one rocket blew through the brake zones at the final sections of the ride. Another rocket had been brought to a stop just past the "Re-entry Tunnel" before the station, and the out of control rocket slammed into the back of the stopped rocket. Basically a rocket rear-ended another rocket just before the station. Four guests were hospitalized for minor injuries, and was done mainly for safety (observation)reasons.

The ride is closed for an "unscheduled refurbishment" (that is the 'official' story that the CM's are supposed to say), and is expected to be closed thru the weekend, if not for the entire week after that, as they try to figure out how the rocket (number 8) didn't stop at the brakes and slam into the back of another rocket....

spacemtncastmbr
08-31-2002, 10:33 AM
ok one thing u said it was rocket number 8? we dont have a rocket number 8, that was the rocket in the derailment 2 summers ago. that rocket is not operational.

Laffite
08-31-2002, 10:46 AM
Thats' sad. I was there yesterday (aug30) looking forward to ride the "classic" SM before it goes into refurb. There were a few CMs out front driving guests away and saying "it won't be opened at all today". :(

Disney Nick
08-31-2002, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
He's probably been drinking again, too.
You know what happens when you drink too much? You get decapitated.

On a side note, where'd your signature go?

innerSpaceman
08-31-2002, 02:56 PM
You certainly do lose your head.

That's why we do it.

My signature? There it is:

zapppop
08-31-2002, 10:32 PM
Space Mountain was open today ( serious....unlike the decapitation joke )

Disney Nick
09-01-2002, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by zapppop
Space Mountain was open today ( serious....unlike the decapitation joke )
WHAT?!?!?! You mean... the decapitation.... was a joke.... OH THAT'S SICK ;) :D