PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion Holiday Event Info Received!

Pages : [1] 2

Not Afraid
08-30-2002, 10:47 AM
My nice Fed Ex man delivered a surprise package to me this morning - the event information for HMH!

The package included:
* Welcome Letter
* Randon Selection Process letter/order form (due back September 5th)
* A RSP mechandise brochure
* A tentative itinerary
* Additional information

There is quite a selection of merchandise including attire, pins, art and a few other things (a pen caught my eye). Prices range from $18 up. The letter indicates that the merchasdise can be viewed at www.hauntedmansionholidayevent.com but the site does not include this information yet.

I'm really excited about attending!

Now....what to wear???????
;)

SzczerbiakManiac
08-30-2002, 11:33 AM
My best friend and I got ours today too. Here are the things that piqued my interest: Leather Jacket (which I won't get because... come on! Me, wear a jacket???)
both Paper "Sculptures" by Elizabeth Treat (way too rich for my blood though :()
Boxed Pin Set "Changing Portraits" (I think this is my fave)
Translucent Pin (sounds great, but I need to see it)
Slider PinAlso, there are a couple items called "chargers". What's a "charger"? Is that another term for "collectible plate"? That's what they look like to me.

If anyone out there has gone through the Random Selection Process (for merchandise purchases), can you describe your experience? Did it seem equitable to you?

Andrew
08-30-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by SzczerbiakManiac
Also, there are a couple items called "chargers". What's a "charger"? Is that another term for "collectible plate"? That's what they look like to me.

A "charger" is a plate to put under your decorative plate. To uh, protect it or something. I'm not really sure why you need them.

Not Afraid
08-30-2002, 11:52 AM
A charger is a very large plate meant to protect your table top while providing decoration under your meal plate. I have brass chargers at home (that I never use). What is offered here is really just a large decorative ceramic plate. It is only a plate in shape because it is not meant for eating or serving.

But what do I know? I am NOT Martha!:rolleyes:

Andrew
08-30-2002, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
A charger is a very large plate meant to protect your table top while providing decoration under your meal plate. I have brass chargers at home (that I never use). What is offered here is really just a large decorative ceramic plate. It is only a plate in shape because it is not meant for eating or serving.

I knew someone would know it... We have some nice wooden ones Jen brings out when we use the Good China.

But what do I know? I am NOT Martha!:rolleyes:

I'd excerpt from today's TopFive.com (http://www.topfive.com/arcs/pk083002.shtml) list but it's not even remotely "family friendly." ;)

Not Afraid
08-30-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
I'd excerpt from today's TopFive.com (http://www.topfive.com/arcs/pk083002.shtml) list but it's not even remotely "family friendly." ;)

I like the one that reminds me of Ursula.:D

AVP
08-30-2002, 12:17 PM
The wonderful and talented Andrew is in the process of uploading all of this information to the site, and I'll post the link ASAP.

AVP

cstephens
08-30-2002, 12:30 PM
My best friend and I got ours today too. Here are the things that piqued my interest:[list] Translucent Pin (sounds great, but I need to see it)

Hmmm, wonder if this is different from last years.

Any mention of another sculpture or a watch? We ended up getting both last year, and they're awesome.

Guess I'll see more when we get our package.

AVP
08-30-2002, 12:41 PM
If anyone out there has gone through the Random Selection Process (for merchandise purchases), can you describe your experience? Did it seem equitable to you?

The process is as fair as they can make it - 500 people ask for 200 jackets, the computer decides who gets them. No wristbands, vouchers, standing in line, carcinogenic wrist stamps, cutting in line, ticket-scanning, etc, etc, etc, etc.

The problems I see with the system are:

1) You must buy the items you are chosen for. In the past, you could pick anything you wanted, and then decide what to buy. This was a real problem at the Divas event, where a lot of people *didn't* buy the items they were chosen for, and the merchandise sat around for months.

However, say I have $100 to spend at the event, and I would be happy with the boxed pin set, OR the watch, OR the pen, OR the stained glass panel, but I can't afford all of them. I need to pick and choose what I am going to ask for, or I might just get stuck with all of them.

2) Problems with data entry. At the last event, several of us were surprised to find that we had been chosen to buy one of the charger plates. We were especially surprised, because none of us had asked for it.

When we complained, we were told that we must have made a mistake. Fortunately I had a photocopy of my RSP form, so I *knew* I hadn't made the mistake. They were willing to take the plates off our orders, but that meant we had not even been in the running for one of the items we had wanted. ;o(

3) The need to basically buy site-unseen. Yes, you have photos, but they don't always do justice to the merchandise. There were some quality issues with the Divas event merchandise, which is why some of it wasn't purchased.

However, given the alternative. (Can anyone say "Pirates Event"?), RSP is the way to go.

AVP

Andrew
08-30-2002, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by AVP
The wonderful and talented Andrew is in the process of uploading all of this information to the site, and I'll post the link ASAP.

AVP

:eek: I'm flattered! :D

The pictures and information are now up, just visit the MousePlanet main page (http://www.mouseplanet.com/) for a link. Note that the images are rather large and may take some time to download, especially on dialup connections. We're working on reducing the image file size.

cyberRoo
08-30-2002, 01:46 PM
Huge thanks to Andrew and AVP for posting all the info, on a MousePlanet holiday, nonetheless!

AVP
08-30-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by cyberRoo
Huge thanks to Andrew and AVP for posting all the info, on a MousePlanet holiday, nonetheless!

No, HUGE thanks to Andrew, who not only had to upload this for me but is also having to go back and reduce the images file sizes for me.

AVP

cstephens
08-30-2002, 04:18 PM
FedEx came by the house but no one was home so said they're try again on Tuesday. Ummm, no. We're going to pick up the package later tonight. I understand wanting to get the packages out quickly, but I've always wondered about the reasoning for not letting them just leave a package in a safe place. You have to figure most people work outside the home, and many people won't have someone home all day long who is able to receive the package.

Anyway, from the pictures, the merchandise looks interesting, though I am less interested in the apparel (including watch) this year than last. There's a lot more orange this year. I rather like the subtlety of last year's.

The really nice things seem to be the second stained-glass pin and the lenticular pin set. Ooooo. I wish they'd made cards of those, though, like the pirates ones a few years ago.

AVP
08-30-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
The really nice things seem to be the second stained-glass pin and the lenticular pin set.

The boxed pins are not lenticular, they are spinners. Once you can look at the photo close up, you'll notice that the "portaits" are mounted inside the frames on swivel pins. They are printed on both sides, and spin to show each image.

AVP

ArthurBang
08-30-2002, 06:44 PM
Okay, so whose leg do I have to pull to pick up the glow in the dark ornaments with pins for me this year? :)

I got all 3 last year, and collect Nightmare pins (I currenly have about 25) ..This year I'm not going to the event, but would love to get all three of these again this year.. They're in the same style as the first three, just with different characters. They ended up selling the ornaments afterwards to the public but not with the pins..

I can pay you ahead of time or afterwards.. Also, doesn't all of the merchandise not sold at the event go to Disneyana on the following day?

Email me if you'd be willing to pick these up... arthur@thepickle.net

cstephens
08-30-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by AVP
The boxed pins are not lenticular, they are spinners. Once you can look at the photo close up, you'll notice that the "portaits" are mounted inside the frames on swivel pins. They are printed on both sides, and spin to show each image.

Oh, I hadn't picked up on that. So you mean the "nice" picture is on one side and the "bad" picture is on the other? Hmmm, still cool, but not nearly as cool as if it had been a lenticular. So that means they can still make the lenticular cards...

Or maybe a sound pin with the plants that includes their singing...

Things I wish they'd make but am glad they don't because it would cost more money.

Nice to see this time that we can fax or email our orders rather than FedExing them back.

Now to decide which dinner seating to ask for...

socabch
08-31-2002, 08:52 AM
Now....what to wear???????

NA,

Go Goth of course!!!! You looked great on Sun, Aug 25th.;)

I AM SO JEALOUS!!!!!! I CAN'T GO!!!!!! :( (ok i'm done yelling)

Not Afraid
09-01-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by socabch
NA,
Go Goth of course!!!! You looked great on Sun, Aug 25th.;)

Thanks!. It was fun airing my Goth side. I am actually hoping to find something appropriate to wear on my trip to New Orleans. There just happens to be an store called "The Anne Rice Collection" which has clothing that I think may be fun. We'll see.........:cool:

Laffite
09-01-2002, 10:40 AM
Tell me about this "The Anne Rice Collection"

Not Afraid
09-01-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Laffite
Tell me about this "The Anne Rice Collection"

Well, I don't go to NP until the end of September but you can visit the store on-line here. (http://store.yahoo.com/annericecollection/). If this is all they have in the way of clothing I will be out of luck, but it will still be fun to peruse the merchandise.

socabch
09-04-2002, 08:49 AM
There just happens to be an store called "The Anne Rice Collection" which has clothing that I think may be fun

A friend of mine was in New Orleans a couple of months ago and she met Anne Rice in front of her house. My freind was stalking her home waiting for her to show up.:D But she said Ms Rice has a doll collection that is very strange.

I lived in New Orleans for about 10 years. You'll have a great time. Make sure you tour the Garden District area. Beautiful homes!!!!

bluebayou
09-04-2002, 11:53 AM
Is it me or is anyone else disappointed in the merchandise this year? Last year - we had the framed Nightmare poem (which is sitting awesomely on my living room wall - yes I was one of the lucky ones), the sculpture, etc - this year - outside of the stained glass, I am a very dissapointed in the offering. When 12 out of 27 items are $200+ with half of those in the thousands and only 5 items $50.00 (incl a pin, sweatshirt and tshirt) and under... with the others priced around $100.00 - it all seems way overpriced to me. How many of us can really afford a $10,000 painting? Am I suppossed to be impressed that this is offered to me? Well, I am not. I would rather have at least one or 2 impressive items that I can afford. I only put in the rsp form for 5 items out of 27 (incl 1 tshirt, sweatshirt,and pin)- I would have tried for a lot more had the prices been lower. I am hoping that the other items being offered in New Orleans Square are more towards my (and many others) price point. Is Disney ever going to figure out that they can be more profitable with a lot of lower priced but quality items instead of the 1 - $10,000 painting?

SzczerbiakManiac
09-04-2002, 02:45 PM
I feel your pain bluebayou. I didn't attend the event last year, but I thought the price range on the items offered this year was a bit steep.

This is just a guess on my part, but I wonder if they're saving the more "budget priceded" merchandise to sell to the general public. The official HM page (http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservices/event_disneyland348.html) would seem to indicate there will at least be some different pins available.
<shrug>

Sheila
09-04-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by socabch
A friend of mine was in New Orleans a couple of months ago and she met Anne Rice in front of her house. My freind was stalking her home waiting for her to show up.:D But she said Ms Rice has a doll collection that is very strange.

I lived in New Orleans for about 10 years. You'll have a great time. Make sure you tour the Garden District area. Beautiful homes!!!!

Yep, I was in New Orleans in May on business and stayed over the weekend *just* so I could sightsee. Walked all over the Garden District, visited the cemetary where "Double Jeopardy" was filmed, and of course, got the requisite photos of Anne Rice's house.

That house (really a mansion) is huge! Plus the backyard has all sorts of gothic statuary in it. There was a big stretch limo parked in front which I assume was to whisk Ms. Rice off to her appointed rounds at a moment's notice. ;)

I must remember to bring the photos of Anne Rice's house to a meet some time.

Sheila

cstephens
09-04-2002, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by bluebayou
Is it me or is anyone else disappointed in the merchandise this year?

I think there are fewer things offered this year than last year that I want, but it doesn't bother me. As much as I like merchandise, it's secondary for me. What I go for is the event itself. We put a few things on the RSP. We'll see how that goes.