PDA

View Full Version : budget for a new e ticket type ride?

happyfunball
08-29-2002, 11:57 PM
if they did build a new e ticket ride in disneyland, completely original, what sort of cost are we talking about? anybody have an educated guess?

what was indy budgeted out when it opened in 1995?
something more like a traditional dark ride like pirates or haunted mansion.

are we talking tens of millions or more than a hundred million?

Nigel2
08-30-2002, 12:23 AM
I remember hearing on tv once that Indy alone cost more than the original park did. But there really is no solid figure for cost since they aren't really standard if they are original. For example they probably had a good idea already for Dino/Countdown to Extinction at AK since it is basically the Indy attraction with different sets. But if it were to be a big attraction that drew in tons of people (hey rocket rods did that:D ) I would probably say it would be close to Indy's cost. But that would only be if they were making new technology for the ride.

BuenaVista
08-30-2002, 01:33 AM
Well, DisneySea just announced that they are building their newest attraction (sounds like an e-ticket I'd say) and it will cost about 100 million dollars.

I heard a similar figure for the Tokyo Pooh ride. The Orlando Pooh ride cost about one tenth of that (and it shows, boy howdy!).

But, considering how much cost cutting Dis Co has been getting away with lately, who knows just how cheap they can go and still manage to label a half baked ride an "e-ticket"!

How many rides in DCA does the company consider "e-tickets"?

How about Walt Disney Studios Paris?

SoCalDisneyLover
08-30-2002, 07:11 AM
How many rides in DCA does the company consider "e-tickets"?

I would consider the following DCA E-Tickets:

California Screamin'
Soarin' Over California
Grizzly Rapids Run
Maliboomer

Oh....and Superstar Limo of course. :-)

[Mod. note: vBcode fixed in quoted material. -- Andrew]

Ghoulish Delight
08-30-2002, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by SoCalDisneyLover

I would consider the following DCA E-Tickets:

California Screamin'
Soarin' Over California
Grizzly Rapids Run
Maliboomer

Oh....and Superstar Limo of course. :-) Exactly. Let's examine (this is entirely speculation on my part):

Screamin': Nothing new. LIAs (Linear induction accelerators, the magnet launch dealy) existed. Steel coasters existed. Coasters with soundtracks existed. No R&D costs, cheap ride (I'm not making judgements on the merits of the ride, simply cost)

Soarin': Probably the priciest of them all. The ride vehicle is unique in configuration, the screen is huge. BUT, since it is conceptually something that's existed for a long long time, there's no way it cost on the scale of Indy. Probably half as much

GRR: The major cost here was the mountain, not the ride, and they've built so many mountains that probably wasn't a big deal. Some R&D for the spin, but it's a relatively simple mechanism. The rest is a well themed, off the shelf rapids ride. Cheap.

Maliboomer: 100% off the shelf. Nothing new. Rock bottom price as far as e-tickets go.

RStar
08-30-2002, 07:30 AM
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbiden Eye ride took ten years to plan and build, and was budegeted at 100 million. By the time it was done it came in a little over that at 110 million. (Yikes I can't belive I just called $10 million a little!:eek: ). Compare that to the time and cost of building Disneyland in 1955! Walt Disney said that the New Orleans Square expansion cost more than the Louisiana Purchase.

I don't think I would call Mallaboomer an E-Ticket ride. Maybe a B-Ticket.

The price also depends on the type of ride or technology, but yes a good one could cost $100 Million.

Disney Nick
08-30-2002, 07:38 AM
Maliboomer definitely isn't on my E-Ticket list. GRR even has trouble making it. I think GRR fits more as a D. Maliboomer a C.

Tref
08-30-2002, 08:11 AM
Gosh, for the life of me I cannot remember what the Maliboomer is ... Anybody else here disappointed with the Grizzly Rabids ride? It seemed that it was over before it ever really kicked in. Grizzly doesn't even compare with the same ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom, which has an amazing finish that concludes with a giant forest fire! Grizzly Rapids, Jr. would be a more appropriate name. I still have hopes that the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror ride will be DCA's one truly great ride, so, please, if anyone from Disney reads this post -- DO NOT CUT COSTS ON TZTOT!!

i remain,

happyfunball
08-30-2002, 11:20 AM
still, even at a 100 million, thats about what an A list movie costs these days, at least. And a good ride can go for a long time..

pirates and haunted mansion have been around more than 30 years, I think they were certainly worth the investment

they should stop being cheap and give the people what they want, perhaps then they'll see the kinds of numbers they were originally expecting before the park opened.

Course, you add at least one new E ticket ride to disneyland, and 2 or 3 to DCA, certainlyl the costs can add up, but its not like they have to pay it all at once.

it'd be interesting to find out what it costs to run disneyland per day.

TheMur
08-30-2002, 11:43 AM
Ok a couple of items:

I much prefer GRR to KRR at AK. KRR is preachy and VERY short. I think GRR can be improved upon (how about a couple of AA figures) and overall the mountain looks great.

It is a good point that a big, blockbuster type of movie now costs $100,000,000. If it is a big hit, they recover their investment much quicker (look at Clones or Spiderman - large grosses in less than 6 months.) While I know that motion picture economics are often voo doo at best, it takes a lot of $45 admissions to pay off a $100,000,000 attraction as well as all the interest paid until it is paid off.

An investment like PoC or HM look great. But what about the investment in Rocket Rods. I'm sure the figures are very ugly. Always trying to be "cutting edge" will lead to the occasional failure and they are very expensive.

I do think that overall that managment is taking much fewer risks.

The time line on Indy is interesting. If it took 10 year to bring to reality, that means it was one of the first big projects moving forward just after Eisner took over. Of course he did a lot of great things after taking over - but where is that enthusiasm and investment now!

Ghoulish Delight
08-30-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by TheMur
An investment like PoC or HM look great. But what about the investment in Rocket Rods. I'm sure the figures are very ugly. Always trying to be "cutting edge" will lead to the occasional failure and they are very expensive.
Rocket Rods failed because they didn't invest enough. They cut corners to the extreme. They refused to create a new track, opting to stick with a track designed to carry vehicles at 3 miles per hour. The lack of banked turns or decent long straight aways forced them to design a highly complex, and ultimately failure prone control system to deal with it. Technical difficulties stemming from the computer system and the use of rubber tires, combined with a mediocer ride experience that garnered long lines only because of its inefficient loading turnover and its relative newness meant it was doomed to fail.

Now, had they spent the extra money to build a custom track for it, that's be a whole new arena. Once again, low risk, low return. They weren't willing to shell out the bucks for a top notch attraction, so they got what they paid for, a budget, ineffectual ride.

RStar
08-30-2002, 01:08 PM
Hey, I like GRR! I think it is much better themed than Knott's, and a lot better that Magic Mountain's. I keep telling my plummer friend that works there that he needs to get on those leaky pipes!

Ghoulish Delight
08-30-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Tref
so, please, if anyone from Disney reads this post -- DO NOT CUT COSTS ON TZTOT!!
Oh, you're far to late for that plea. It's hard to hide a large tower being built. More to the point, it's hard to hide that with 4 stories worth of framing built, the footprint of the DCA version is FAR smaller than that of Florida's. Basically, there is no way the building will be big enough to house "the 5th Dimension," which, by the accounts I've heard, is what makes the ride in Florida (I haven't seen it, so I can't vouch for that). One would HOPE that it was a design decission and that they have come up with something new and even more exciting. But somehow, I don't feel like holding my breath on that one. I'm guessing budget version.