PDA

View Full Version : "it's a small world" Clock Parade

percupgrl
02-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Is this still going on while the ride is closed for it's refurb?

kelli1rose
02-23-2008, 09:30 PM
My daughter and I go every Thursday, and we have not seen the clock parade since they closed it. Our visits to that area may have been off, but I am pretty certain the clock is not running currently. HTH

PanFan
02-24-2008, 06:02 PM
No clock show during refurb.

PoomShanka
02-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Oh no! :( I was just going to ask this question and I am sorry to hear the answer. It must be sad having everything quiet and still over there. I wish they would at least continue the happy ticking sound during refurb!:crying:

amarvel
02-25-2008, 12:31 PM
oh weird i would have thought they would still have the clock going. that is a bummer.

vfire
02-25-2008, 10:56 PM
That whole part of the park just feels dead and strange without IASW. The Princess Faire is another non-entity in my opinion so there's just this big dead zone from the Story Boats until Toontown.

Jim Dear and Darling
02-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Does anyone know when IASW is scheduled to re-open?

Darkbeer
02-26-2008, 09:22 AM
The original return date released was late November, 2008, and they used to have a sign on the refurb fence that stated that it would return for the Holiday season in 2008, but it has since been removed.

Now it might not return until early 2009.

Jim Dear and Darling
02-26-2008, 09:25 AM
The original return date released was late November, 2008, and they used to have a sign on the refurb fence that stated that it would return for the Holiday season in 2008, but it has since been removed.

Now it might not return until early 2009.

Oh, WOW!! What a bummer!! Are they doing something major to it?

vfire
02-26-2008, 09:37 AM
The rumor is that they're going to add Disney characters such as Peter Pan, Mickey, Goofy, etc. to the ride, plus add an American scene and remove the rain forest. Sounds like a bad change if you ask me...

Jim Dear and Darling
02-26-2008, 09:40 AM
The rumor is that they're going to add Disney characters such as Peter Pan, Mickey, Goofy, etc. to the ride.

Oh, dear. :confused:

Darkbeer
02-26-2008, 09:52 AM
The main reason for the refurb is to replace the original flume, which was built for the New York's World's Fair and the current boats with newer lighter ones.

Since they needed to remove the entire flume, they are also addressing structural issues with the building, including roof repairs, and upgrading lighting, Air Conditioning and Sound, using modern, updated items, which will also save Disney money in electrical costs in the long run.

To do all this work, they pretty much need to remove the entire attraction, and reinstall it after the construction work is done.

Andrew
02-26-2008, 09:59 AM
The rumor is that they're going to add Disney characters such as Peter Pan, Mickey, Goofy, etc. to the ride, plus add an American scene and remove the rain forest.

And add a loop. Ponchos will be provided.

Jim Dear and Darling
02-26-2008, 10:41 AM
And add a loop. Ponchos will be provided.

LOL, so I take it that rumor is unsubstantiated.

Good. :)

Darkbeer
02-26-2008, 10:45 AM

Good. :)

Well, Al Lutz wrote about it today in his column...

http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al022608a.htm

Even though it's a small world has remained one of Disneyland's most popular attractions for decades, and still pulls in over 2,000 riders per hour on busy days, Imagineering has received Ed Grier's blessing to "plus up" the old attraction by adding Disney Characters throughout the original 1964 show scenes. It should be interesting to see how Disneyland's PR department spins that one, especially when the Disney purists catch wind of it.

Well, If Ed Grier has signed off on it......

Andrew
02-26-2008, 11:23 AM

Well, Al Lutz wrote about it today in his column...

So, yeah.

Darkbeer
02-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Well, he has been right about a lot of things lately, including the initial news of "small world" closing, the tearing down of Fort Wilderness and being replaced by cement logs (unlike others who reported the replacement would be made out of Stone), and much more....

I presume the info came from someone at WDI, since he is reporting the approval of Ed Grier. Once again, a presumption, someone inside WDI that is not happy with the approved changes, and wants to stir the pot, very similar to when Al Lutz broke the news of the Tom Sawyer Island changes to a Pirates Theme, that got the Changeover toned down to keep the Tom Sawyer storyline as part of the Island (alas, not much, but still a nod to the history).

Baloo
02-28-2008, 09:54 PM
the additions are still not final. The idea was presented to Ed Grier but WDI is still seeing if they will go on with it or not. It all depends on how well they feel they will integrate itnot he existing attraction.

Hong kongs design was built with characters in mind form the beginning.

WDI did go into the attraction and test a few cutouts in areas of the attraction to see how they fit.

Meanwhile the whole attraction is being gutted.