PDA

View Full Version : What time would you get there for pins?

Tinkermommy
02-22-2008, 01:22 PM
My daughter wants to go to the Peter Pan pin release/signing tomorrow. I see that it starts at 8, but that they'll be giving wristbands earlier. What time would you recommend we get there if she wants to buy the pins? If she gets a wristband, is she guaranteed to be able to buy pins?

(This is a kid who just spent most of her birthday money buying Jim Shore Peter Pan art...lol.)

Thanks!

Tinker Bell
02-22-2008, 02:32 PM
It is always safe to get there an hour before the bands are givin out if you really want the pin. If you get a band your guaranteed to buy a pin in the time frame givin. I say if you want it signed best to be there 2hr early so your close to the front of the line and you can get yours sign and still have Disney play time at the park. That is all ways my game plan at least.

HobbitFeet
02-24-2008, 03:54 PM
From what I see on disneypins.com it looks like this is a very small release (depending on what she's going to get), so I'd be there as early as I possible could be, to get one.

I was told (erroneously) by delivEars that a release of 2500 was very big and I was not to worry about them selling out (the Year of the Rat Mickey and Rizzo) inside of a month, but they were absolutely wrong. I was told everywhere that they had sold out inside of something like a week. From what I see on disneypins, the picture with pin is only having 55 released, the pin alone is only 1000...quite a bit less than the 2500 of "my" pin.

LdyApxr
02-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Perhaps I am just missing something but I don't get the pin thing. LOL When we were there on Christmas of 06 we were getting ready to leave DCA and this wirl(probably about 19 or so) and her parents approached us and traded their Dream Fastpasses for one of our pins(5 Dream Fastpasses unused) all for my Tinkerbell pin. It was the only one I had because it came on a lanyard and I could have cared less but we used the heck out of those Fastpasses! LOL :fez:

HobbitFeet
02-27-2008, 04:38 PM
I only halfway get it. I think they are cute, and I buy some to own forevermore. My husband, however, likes to trade them. I was after the Year of the Rat pin to give to him (he doesn't trade what I give him, LOL) b/c he's Asian and was born in Year of the Rat, and his b'day is coming up, when I found out that a release of 2500 wasn't as big as it sounds.

Tinkermommy
02-27-2008, 08:22 PM
I don't buy any for myself, but I do buy a lot for my daughter. She doesn't trade them; she collects the ones that have some meaning for her. She loves Peter Pan, Tink & Indiana Jones, for example, so anything that comes out with those characters, she buys. She will also buy any pin with Walt on it.

We just bought one that says "February" and has Tink on it, because that's her birthday month. We have "special" pins from when we were in the parade, the tours we've done, Club 33, etc. She also has one that we bought when "Fairy Dust and the Quest for the Egg" came out and they did a signing with the author and illustrator as well as Margaret Kerry, the model for Tinker Bell. Ms. Kerry signed her pin. Before that, I didn't even know you could get pins signed.

What I like about them is the fact that they're souvenirs that mean something to her, but they don't take up much space.

I've only traded once, and that was when I saw a pin trader with one that was for annual passholders and had both Walt and Tink on it. How perfect was that? I didn't have anything to trade, so I asked the pin trader if there was something she wanted from the Little Green Men store. She told me, I went in and bought it, and we traded. That made me happy.

Since we only buy the pins she intends to keep, what I don't get is how people can part with their pins...:p

AVP
02-28-2008, 07:03 AM
I only halfway get it. I think they are cute, and I buy some to own forevermore. My husband, however, likes to trade them. I was after the Year of the Rat pin to give to him (he doesn't trade what I give him, LOL) b/c he's Asian and was born in Year of the Rat, and his b'day is coming up, when I found out that a release of 2500 wasn't as big as it sounds.2500 is huge these days, and that Year of the Rat pin was a fluke. It used to be that releases of 1,200 could sell out in just hours; now releases as small as 750 hang on the store displays for weeks and months. Timm Lundeen's Haunted Mansion pin (http://www.pinpics.com/cgi-bin/pin.cgi?pin=55679&sid=7366.1204214458) was the biggest release I'd seen in quite some time - that caused lines unheard of since "the glory days" of trading.

AVP

DisneyPrincessCat
02-28-2008, 07:27 AM
Be there early, at the minimum, 2 hours. The real pin sharks bring friends, lots of friends, so they can swoop in and get a whole bunch of them to sell on, you guessed it, eBay.

I know it is crazy, because I have friends in the area that go to the relaeses and they say it is a circus. People try to cut in line and it is just crowds of people depending again on the pin and it's popularity. I have never been personally to a release, since we live so far away, but I have been there on a Sunday when the new pins come out and the pin stores like Little Green Men and Pin traders are MOBBED with people trying to get the new pins. Most of them are open edition, but the Holiday ones like the Easter ones right now were moving so quickly on the Sunday they came out. Lines were backed up to buy pins.

It is crazy! I collect and love pins, but don't get into the whole trading crazy thing, because I am not near to DL or WDW. I buy a lot of pins on eBay since that is where I can find them, or I have my friends pick them up for me when a certain pin is released, if it is not a LE release day pin. Unless the LE special release is something I really, really want, I don't bother with them. I collect what I LIKE and not just because it is LE or rare neccessarily. I have several rare pins and they are in the genre of pins that I collect anyway.

BE THERE REALLY EARLY and be ready to be firm with line cutters and those who would try to get in first if you are already in line. My friends have always told me this can be a problem, not neccessarily gonna happen, but has and can.

The Pinbassador pins were a huge release. There were four and the Haunted Mansion (that one that AVP mentioned) was VERY popular. It created HUGE crowds. I think many of the people were there JUST for that pin. I see the Haunted mansion pin for 179.00 on eBay now.:eek:

I got three of the pins. The Haunted mansion one and I like the other two I got as well, the Tiki Room with Mickey and the Tinkerbell pin.

I won mine from someone who was going to the release and I won the auctions BEFORE the event and had already paid for the pins, so if they had not gotten them, I would have been refunded. They got there early enough and I have my 3 Pinbassador pins! They are awesome, especially the Haunted mansion Pin!

Good Luck! That Peter Pan pin is cute, but not one I would fight the crowds to get. If I want it later, I can find it on eBay. It WILL show up there eventually.

Do you check Dizpins for the releases?
DPC