PDA

View Full Version : Re-Using Toys

mandi2728
08-27-2002, 09:27 PM
I know that topic header doesnt sound right, but heres my question that got buried in the spending thread.

I do have one question, since this is the first year we are going back after having bought any significant toys, do you have a prolbem with people thinking you stole or didnt pay for them, when you go shopping. Like we have the big Buzz and Woody that were $25 each last year, and I would hate to get accused of such a thing.......

Thanks

MammaSilva
08-27-2002, 09:49 PM
We go every year, and every year Brandy ends up with something the first day that she drags with her thru the whole trip, once it was a Mickey beanie, another time it was a darn light/sound sword from the Pieces O Eight shop, we've never had a problem being accused of not paying for her toy and they looked 'new' several days later, the biggest thing she carried around for a while was a stuffed mickey that every single store seemed to carry and the only place I felt "funny" was the emporium maybe because there are so many entrances/exits I'm not sure but even then we didn't have a problem...but I carried the reciept as insurance.....

disguy
08-28-2002, 06:53 AM
I don't think any CM would ever go up to someone and asked if they purchased the item unless they saw for sure they saw the item being taken. I don't think you'll have a problem at all. I told my sister about this idea of brining toys they bought. It's a great idea!

disneyscott
08-28-2002, 07:28 AM
I never have a problem with bring in old light tops, and stuffed toyes. They have never asked and I dont think they care.

If this is somthing from last year like you said I bet that they dont even sell the exact thing this year.

stinkerbell
08-28-2002, 07:51 AM
We always bring toys with us and have never been stopped. I, too, carry the receipts if it's from the same trip. My kids' strollers are always over-flowing with plush, light chasers, autograph books, pens, jewelry, whatever. I make sure and bring to the parks everything they bought the day before, as a reminder that they shouldn't be asking for toooo much more that day. But, anyway, I've never been stopped.

One day, when we brought the toys, etc. with us, Courtney saw something she really wanted. I pointed out the thing she got the day before and a CM overheard us (at World of Disney), and told her that she could exchange it for the new item if she wanted. Courtney didn't just exchange one thing, she went "shopping" and found other things to exchange as well. It was really funny. The CM just followed her around. She exchanged a pen, a pin, and a pair of gloves. I was apologizing to the CM, and she said it was her idea and she'd rather "her little visitor" go home happy with what she got instead of thinking of something she could have had and didn't. I thought she was really great. It inconvenienced us quite a bit, but Courtney was tickled with the extra attention she got and I of course, had to shell out a few more dollars for her exchanges, but it was such a funny situation and totally suited my daughter's personality. :)

Bill Catherall
08-28-2002, 07:52 AM
We've never had a problem with being "accused" of stealing when we bring in "used" toys.

When we visit for multiple days we always take back the things we bought from the previous days. We've even taken balloons back into the park with us. :D

mandi2728
08-28-2002, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the replies all, I was a little concerned about bringing back the old toys, but I will now!

Bu now this all opens up a new question, if what you are all saying is true, then how does Disneyland prevent shoplifting. I mean you just say you bought it the day before, or whatever. I could see this is as a big problem potentiallly( or is it and I just dont know)?

Bill Catherall
08-28-2002, 10:09 AM
Don't quote me on this, but it's my understanding that a store has to actually see you pick up an item and walk out with it before they can stop you and try to accuse you of shoplifting.

goofey
08-28-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
Don't quote me on this, but it's my understanding that a store has to actually see you pick up an item and walk out with it before they can stop you and try to accuse you of shoplifting. In one of his books, I forget which one, David Koenig explains the procedure for handling shoplifters. Basically, what it amounts to is the person has to be seen without the item, then take the item and attempt to conceal it or not pay for it, then leave the store and get a reasonable distance away. This procedure is in place so nobody can say they were accused of stealing something they bought the day before, or if, say, a small child runs out of a store with something not knowing it wasn't paid for.

DLR has plainclothes security guards whose primary job is watching for shoplifters. Sometimes we stores CMs don't even know who they are when they're in our shops. But I can probably identify three or four of them. Just this week I've seen two or three shoplifting busts.

Also, to discourage shoplifting, DLR has implemented inktagging and sensor tagging high price and high loss items, such as sweatshirts, plush, and pins. World of Disney has had this system since its opening in January 2001, while the park slowly phased it in between late 2000 and mid 2001. For show reasons, World of Disney and Gag Factory remain the only stores to have door alarms like those at department stores, but with or without a door alarm, the inktags will make a permanent stain on the outside of clothing or plush if tampered with.

Hah, you said "don't quote me on this" and I quoted you! Okay, maybe I'm the only one who thought that was funny.

smd4
08-28-2002, 11:38 AM
Try this on for size:

When you are in the park, whether it be in a store or standing outside next to the castle, you're on Disney property. Is there anything stopping one from going ito a store and walking out with something? It seems like it would only be shoplifting if you left the park premises with it. Just wondering...

Bill Catherall
08-28-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by smd4
It seems like it would onlyu be shoplifting if you left the park premises with it.
This would cause a security nightmare. Imagine trying to keep track of everybody in the park who walked out of a store without paying and make sure they pay before they leave. Also, with that kind of policy, I could pick up a light chaser, let my kids use it throughout the night, then plop it into a trash can before we leave. My kids got what they wanted, I didn't have to pay, I never shoplifted ('cause I didn't take it out of the park), but Disneyland loses.

Ghoulish Delight
08-28-2002, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by smd4
Try this on for size:

When you are in the park, whether it be in a store or standing outside next to the castle, you're on Disney property. Is there anything stopping one from going ito a store and walking out with something? It seems like it would onlyu be shoplifting if you left the park premises with it. Just wondering... There are two factors here. 1) Many of the small shops on main street are leased by Disney to indipendant merchants. 2) Any store has a right do define the areas where you are allowed to take merchandise without paying for it. For instance, go into a Burlington Coat factory and you will find that the leather items are in a separate area within the store with its own door alarms. Same goes for most hardware stores with their tools section. They get to define what shop lifting is. So it doesn't matter if it's on Disney property, if they define it as outside the shopping area, it's outside the shopping area.