PDA

View Full Version : You know what I have noticed...

patrejo85
08-27-2002, 08:08 PM
This is a rant on DCA:

When Walt originally designed the original Magic Kingdom, he didn't want his guests to be able to see the outside world. He coverd his park w/ greenery and kept walkways, etc. away from see through or see over walls. But DCA allows guests to see outside. Upon my last visit I noticed this. You look out from the Peir, you see the convention center. And when riding the "carnival rides" you see all around the outside of the park. Yet another (bad) difference between DCA and DL.

GeminiAngel
08-27-2002, 08:16 PM
I rode those astro rockets in tommorow land back in the mid 80's and I remember seeing all around anaheim.

rexfarms
08-27-2002, 08:17 PM
Yep its called Lack of Berm. Just another flaw in DCA. :(

patrejo85
08-27-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by GeminiAngel
I rode those astro rockets in tommorow land back in the mid 80's and I remember seeing all around anaheim.

This is true, but that was ONE attraction. Oh yeah, and maybe the monorail, and SOME parts of the buckets and Peoplemover.

BUT my main peeve is from the walkways! You are in the center of the park and can see the convention center. That's my main thing!

MonorailMan
08-27-2002, 08:40 PM
DL = Another world Feeling.
DCA = Park in with the hub-bub feeling. :)

corrinhorn
08-28-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by patrejo85

This is true, but that was ONE attraction. Oh yeah, and maybe the monorail, and SOME parts of the buckets and Peoplemover.

BUT my main peeve is from the walkways! You are in the center of the park and can see the convention center. That's my main thing!

Ah but If you notice, they are all in tomorrowland...Maybe walt was trying to say in metaphorical form, "in the future, we will be able to see what is going on all throughout the community, and the world, without ever leaving the comfort of our current environment...

...or maybe tomorrowland just would not have been cool without rides that went high up in the air:D

disguy
08-28-2002, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by patrejo85

I remeber walking down one of the pathways in DCA with a friend of mine who isan't very "Disney savey" and stopped and said "Woah!! what is that ride!!" He was talking about the convetion center :)

hbquikcomjamesl
08-28-2002, 07:55 AM
Hmm. It's been a few months since I was in DCA, but if I remember right, how much you can see of the outside world is very much a function of where you are in the park: you can see a lot from Paradise Pier, but PP is themed as the sort of old-style amusement pier where the outside world wouldn't be sealed out anyway. I don't remember a whole lot of the outside world being visible from Hollywood Studio Backlot unless you were upstairs at the entrance to the Hyperion. Likewise, in Condor Flats, you can see an awful lot that isn't Condor Flats, but not so much that isn't Disney.

RStar
08-28-2002, 08:38 AM
Yes, I still don't know why they couldn't have started all of the construction with a berm. Sure it would cost a little, and it would have taken up some footage, but get real.

I think they are taking the cheep way out. They want to wait for five to ten years to get the tree growth all around the resort to hide everything. And actually, after over 40 visits to DCA , I just noticed the convention center for the first time this past weekend. Frankly, most people are focusing on the stuff close up, not the stuff outside the park. Besides, why bother to hide California in a park about California?

hbquikcomjamesl
08-28-2002, 09:07 AM
Besides, I don't recall EPCOT, Disney-MGM, or Animal Kingdom having berms. It's my understanding that of all the Disney theme parks in the world, only the Magic Kingdoms are bermed.

Sheila
08-28-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by hbquikcomjamesl
Besides, I don't recall EPCOT, Disney-MGM, or Animal Kingdom having berms. It's my understanding that of all the Disney theme parks in the world, only the Magic Kingdoms are bermed.

Yeah, but the problem with that argument is that all of the WDW parks are located on property owned by Disney and are surrounded by greenbelts. They don't need berms because there is really nothing to block out visually.

As far as I recall (from the behind-the-scenes tour that I took) MK needs to be "bermed" because it is surrounded by many warehouses and other buildings, in addition to the resort hotels nearby...

YMMV,
Sheila

RStar
08-28-2002, 05:20 PM
Not to mention that they had to truck in all that dirt to fill in the swamp in the first place. A birm would have taken that much more. And in Florida you don't want low spots to fill up with water (or cut the brease on muggy days).