PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Traditions

mandi2728
08-27-2002, 10:27 AM
Do any of you have any things you have to do when you go?

We have to have a picture taken in front of the castle. And get the 8x10, and we also have to have silouettes of the kids done everytime we go. Now bearing in mind we go about 3 -4 times a year, not like most of you.

And we always head straight for Splash Mountain, I am so excited cause our 4 year old is finally tall enough...40 inches without shoes! :D

But what do you have to do or have!

Bill Catherall
08-27-2002, 10:56 AM
Here's a 3 page thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5173) you might like reading. :)

mandi2728
08-27-2002, 11:14 AM
Ugh, sorry:o

Bill Catherall
08-27-2002, 11:26 AM
No biggie. :) If others would like to share their traditions and didn't get to in the other thread, this would be a good one to use.

innerSpaceman
08-27-2002, 11:58 AM
Ah, but that "other" thread was about ride traditions, whereas this one is about Disneyland traditions in general. I have one that fits into this category, but did not fit into the ride category:

If my friends and I spend the whole day at Disneyland (an occurrence which is getting more rare with each passing year), then we close the day at the Compass in front of Sleeping Beauty Castle. One by one, each member of our group starts at the "N," does a personally-invented-on-the-spot silly walk southward down the center of the compass, always jumping onto the center point, and then continuing with either the same or a different silly walk to the "S," where you must rub your feet - and then the next person takes their turn. It is quite a ridiculous spectacle, and one which we have been performing for 25 years!

MouseWife
08-27-2002, 12:04 PM
Pictures are my deal.

I have to have a picture of the family in front of the big Christmas tree.

I have to have a picture of the kids in front of Small World with the lights on.

I have to get a good shot of them on the Tea Cups.

We all have to ride Splash to get a picture.

Each year I purchase one of the magnet frames to put a picture of the kids in for the fridge.

hefferdude
08-27-2002, 12:59 PM
Pictures are my deal.
We have taken a goup picture with the kids on the
upper landing of the SFR / Tarzan treehouse
facing TSI. We started 10 years ago. We also have
been taking pictures of each other attempting to
emulate the same pose as the small bronze statues
in the upper loop area for years. Loons having fun.

Each year I purchase one of the magnet frames to put a picture of the kids in for the fridge.
I wondered where all the little dirt filled dents
were coming from on the floor in front of our refrigerator.:confused:
Turns out it's corners of the magnetized clear plastic
frames with all our DLR pictures hitting the floor.
They fall off every time one of the boys slams the door.
( which is always :( )

Morrigoon
08-27-2002, 05:17 PM
Gotta stop by Coke Corner and say hi to Rod

MouseWife
08-27-2002, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by hefferdude

I wondered where all the little dirt filled dents
were coming from on the floor in front of our refrigerator.:confused:
Turns out it's corners of the magnetized clear plastic
frames with all our DLR pictures hitting the floor.
They fall off every time one of the boys slams the door.
( which is always :( )

:p :p

Sorry to laugh but that is so ironic!!!

And, even more so because the only time they fall off of ours is when Dad is home. :confused: He says that they just fall off. Ha!

triciaj
08-27-2002, 05:37 PM
When my husband and I went to Disneyland for the first time, I was a complete coward about any rides involving heights and scaring moving stuff. I was particularly worried about Splash Mountain, having watched people going over the edge.

Well, I finally gathered my courage and took the ride, and of course, I loved it!

As a reward, my husband took me to Pooh's Corner and we purchased a big Tigger.

That started the tradition, each time we've visited we go and add to the collection. We managed to get Tigger, Pooh and Piglet, and then had to trek over to Adventureland to get a similarly sized Eeyore.

Unfortunately, during our May 2002 trip, we missed both Splash Mountain and the shopping trip. But we'll be back soon!

(ps, I also managed to ride most of the other 'scary' rides in the park, but was completely terrified by Space Mountain, so I've given it a miss ever since...)

Gauchograd99
08-27-2002, 05:43 PM
Watch the fireworks at 9 with Rod and the gang from Coke Corner, then maybe Fantasmic! from a different view than before, followed up with "Closing Ceremonies" at Coke Corner. If we decide against a Fantasmic! viewing we hang out and sing along with Rod, or watch the "kids" (they are younger than me so I can say this) dance at Coke Corner. If I go in the morning I have to tap Donald Duck on the hat and the bill (the bronze on Main Street). Also, I have to make at least one joke on the way to the entrance about "gee, which park should we visit today? Disneyland or 'the rest zone'?"
Slightly superstitious here, but I was a pitcher and I still play golf (gotta hit the 8iron first, then 5, 3, 1, driver, then 5 wedges... but that is a different thread altogether for another site :)).

MammaSilva
08-27-2002, 08:19 PM
Traditions...I LOVE them, I have a few actually for each visit, our 'ride' tradition is the Matterhorn is always the first ride of each visit and the last (unless it's down for rehab :( or breakdown which happened one visit major sadness abounded) we always go thru the left hand tunnel, we always stop by the big tree just before the tunnel, to the left of the big floral Mickey and remind the kids what to do if they get seperated from us, the we stop for a moment and read the plaque....last trip I was distracted and almost forgot to stop when my niece froze in her tracks... Auntie we CAN'T go in yet, you didn't read it to us....I guess that makes it a tradition....once inside the park ....a brief moment to look up at Walts apartment and a silent thanks to the genuis that gave us this wonderful place...then off we go to enjoy our visit, some point during the visit we sit and wait and watch the evil queen opening the curtains and viewing Fantasyland...the kids Always try to pull the sword from the stone....gosh I guess we have quite a few traditions LOL

patrejo85
08-27-2002, 08:25 PM
Me and my cousin HAVE to go on The Haunted Mansion! We like to say the elevator spiel along w/ the recording. It freaks out the mid-westerners! V. coolness!

MonorailMan
08-27-2002, 08:51 PM
A few tradions:

1. Always do Splash Single Rider, just to go over the bridge. :)

2. Always rent a "free" locker, even If we don't use it. :)

SusanP.
08-28-2002, 06:35 AM
We always get our fortune from Fortune Red after riding POC. Have to do it, everytime. He is often dead-on right, like the day we went to do some scoping out for the Mad Scramble and then crossed over for lunch, my "fortune" says...

Impressed ye be with the uniqueness o' the Magic Kingdom. 'Tis yer creative nature what gives ye an appreciation for such artistic details.

Whoa! It's so true!

....I keep finding myself here, I guess I'd better go introduce myself, eh?

Bill Catherall
08-28-2002, 08:11 AM
Hmmm...some of these "traditions" actually sound like obsessive compulsive behavior. ;) :D

Not really a tradition, but for some reason every time we go to Disneyland the very first thing we do (after going through the tunnels) is use the bathroom by the fire station. Every single time. I don't know why, and we really don't TRY to do it...it just happens. Then there's the lockers on Main Street by the barber shop. For some reason we have a 2 hour ordeal after getting into the park and before actually getting onto the rides. :rolleyes:

TheMur
08-28-2002, 05:23 PM
Our main family tradition died with DCA.

We used to take a big group picture under the Happy parking lot sign.

Other than that, my kids think traditions just slow them down while getting to Indy, Space Mt. or Matterhorn.