PDA

View Full Version : Rumors in Space

merlinjones
08-26-2002, 02:03 PM
Annual Passholder posted the following conversation about Space Mountain rumors (among many others involving the 50th anniversary change proposals) at alt.disney.disneyland:

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=20020823040742.07623.00002758%40mb-ba.aol.com&prev=/groups%3Fdq%3D%26num%3D25%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3 DUTF-8%26group%3Dalt.disney.disneyland%26start%3D50

excerpt:

>><NothingItself> space mtn is gonna be gutted and the building changed
<NothingItself> that purple/gold rocket seen on property and seen at Cast previews isnt going to be used..
<NothingItself> the new DL space mountain will be the original design.. the John Hench concepts and design and ride and building... and Hench
even at his age is drawing more concept art for more details and the flesh out his original idea more for the present designers/engineers..
<YourGhostHost> great
<YourGhostHost> maybe they could paint Space Mtn. white again too<<

another excerpt:

>><NothingItself> and Vekoma is building the new Space Mtn .. new track, Hench concepts, Starcade and outside Space Mtn used .. space rockets will start outside in a clear tube so you can see sunlight or dark sky and real stars...
<NothingItself> why Vekoma .. my only complaint
<NothingItself> when space goes down in April for 10 weeks ... its actually gonna be down/closed for a year(about) or more. Ride it while you can... it's going to be gone.. and most likely in Spring 2003.<<

Anyone have more information? If this happened, and Hench's original design were followed - - would Tomorrowland then return to its complimentary 1967 design/colors? Would it be possible to retain the original Space Mountain and build the new one next door, in place of Innoventions and Redd Rocket's instead? What do you think of all this?

MammaSilva
08-26-2002, 02:10 PM
I think it sounds like a lot of wishful thinking IMHO :( it would be great but considering the current CEO I'm thinking it's not going to happen :(

Cadaverous Pallor
08-26-2002, 03:16 PM
All I know is, GD and I saw the full splendor of a white and gold Small World yesterday (and it's not even done yet!). It was like walking back in time.

It may very well be that they are thinking "let's go back to what worked" and retry old designs....but a lot of what was rumored in those quotes sounds pretty extravagant to me. A coat of paint is one thing, a redisign that costs as much as a new ride is another.

tikiboy
08-26-2002, 06:58 PM
Just paint it white!!! White paint doesn't cost that much!!!

spacemtncastmbr
08-26-2002, 08:37 PM
ok one thing first Space Mtn is not getting a rehab in 2003. we didnt get our funding we are not getting new rockets or station gates till as early as 2004. we are not closing next year for even a week. our next rehab comes in 2004.

BJW
08-26-2002, 10:47 PM
Earlier this year, I posted a rumor about something a cast member told me about a ride inside a tube, similar to what merlinjones said here. Could this be the same rumor this CM was talking about? You can read my earlier post here: http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4243&highlight=Rocket+Rods+replacement

BJW
08-26-2002, 10:50 PM
One more thing, if this does get built, let's hope they change their minds about letting Vekoma build it! The other rides they've built beat you half to death! :D

SimpTwister
08-26-2002, 11:41 PM
I like the 'Two Mountains' idea.

Was the original Hench design when it was still called Spaceport?

Anyway, if they're getting any kind of new ride system, they should go with Intamin over Vekoma...

merlinjones
08-27-2002, 01:28 AM
>>Was the original Hench design when it was still called Spaceport?<<

I assume this is what they are talking about. The Spaceport and Rocket Flight was to be the centerpiece of the 1967 Tomorrowland concept, but came along later as Space Mountain.

80S ERA
08-27-2002, 08:13 AM
I am hoping Lost Boy would chime in....

mkyears
08-27-2002, 09:29 PM
I seriously doubt any of those ideas will be happening if they paint space white they will have to paint all of tommorowland white. I mean yeah small world got a white paint job but what are they going to do paint all of disneyland white. If that's what happens I have pitty on Disneylands 50th.

Hey I have an idea Disneyland can save money by creating a great day where gusets get to put on there paint suits and paint tommorowland white. It will be great for kids and adults. What better way to celebrate Disneyland's 50th than letting guests bring the Disney magic back.

Disney's Paint Weekends(Paint Sold Seperatly)

Ok sorry got a little weird but I wouldn't be surprised

Ace
08-27-2002, 09:35 PM
vekoma stands for "Hahaha! Prepare to be hurt under the pretense of having fun on an amusement ride!!!" In French. Really.

Sophie832
08-27-2002, 10:51 PM
I was talking to a CM the other night, and he said there are tons of Space Mtn. rumors flying around (more than any other ride).

The one that he thinks is most viable is getting rid of most of the projected graphics on the wall (he says since most people don't see many of them after the top), and replacing them with fiber optics (stars, mainly).

Changing the track is a big, big undertaking. It would probably mean goodbye Starcade, Pizza Port, or HISTA.

Now, replacing the track (not changing it) is a serious possiblity because of all the mechanical difficulties lately. The rehab is a much-needed event, and my bet is it will last longer than planned.

WizKidRyan
08-28-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
vekoma stands for "Hahaha! Prepare to be hurt under the pretense of having fun on an amusement ride!!!" In French. Really.

Hey now :)
Those who have ridden Rock 'n' Rollercoaster all know that Vekoma can build a quality coaster :)

Now thats an idea...Throw Rock 'n' Rollercoaster into DCA. Guy out Superstar Limo, make it the queue for the ride, gut the Hollywood and Dine and make it the show building.

Hey, it could happen ;)

Copper
08-28-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
I think it sounds like a lot of wishful thinking IMHO

I would have to agree. Sounds great to think about, but I just don't see it happening. I don't think Disney could justify the cost of a rehab of that magnitude, at least not at this point. However, I think the idea of returning to the white paint scheme is totally in the cards.. here's hoping :)