PDA

View Full Version : A Bug's Harvest?

merlinjones
08-26-2002, 01:41 PM
westsider posted this rumor (among others) on another site:

http://www.laughingplace.com/default.asp?WCI=MsgBoard&WCE=T-24059-P-1&Refresh=0821194701

>>They are expecting huge crowds for Flik's Fun Fair. They are going to set up a big line to get into the place. They are now hiring Bug Ambassadors who will dress up like anthropologists with wings on and entertain the waiting crowds of people in line just to get into the new area. They expect it to be just as crowded popular as Toontown was in '92 when it opened. They have a queue planned to hold a 90 minute wait to get into the new land.<<

...Is this just wishful thinking or what?

While I expect the Bug's Land to be a cute/popular diversion for DCA families, it's hard for me to imagine it having anywhere near the impact of the expansive and glamorous ToonTown, home of Mickey Mouse and a big new Roger Rabbit E-ticket ride. I don't see how this addition can vastly increase sales... even the successful movie has a more limited demographic appeal than some of the other Pixar efforts. If people haven't turned out in droves to see the already extant Bug's Life 3-D extravaganza, why now?

Are they simply the Queens of de Nile, or am I off-base here?

Gemini Cricket
08-26-2002, 02:01 PM
I think they'll swarm over to the new section at first. I give them a year before the area fails to live up to everyone's expectations like everything else at DCA.

Like TOT, this is a mere Band Aid fix for DCA. They need a couple of DCA only E-ticket attractions to draw the crowds and the interest to make this park great. I don't think Flik's Fun Fair is going to do it for them...

I think FFF is going to be a disaster. Long lines for short not-so-entertaining rides, strollers as far as the eye can see and lots of screaming kids... Yikes.

:)

I know, this post is very cynical, but it's my forcast that I'll stand by...

Ghoulish Delight
08-26-2002, 02:07 PM
Also, keep in mind that, thanks to the usual brand of insightful, forward thinking planning that defines DCA, it's been reported that the walkways in FFF have been built so narrow that they were actually considering making it a stroller-free zone (great idea for a KIDS AREA :rolleyes: ) That plan was nixed, but what it means is that there's not much to room to move, so they will be keeping the crowds to a minimum by making people wait to enter. So while the numbers might not equal Toon Town's numbers, thanks to the small size and compact walkways, the "crowding" (as defined by, lets say, people per square foot of walkway) will probably be pretty gnarly.

malin
08-26-2002, 02:24 PM
I think that will be a nice addition.But I really can't see it pushing attendance to much.But it will keep guest inside DCA for longer.

I also can't see it being a 90 minute wait.Wishful thinking by Pressler and Co.

I kind of hope its a success.As I do want DCA to suceed.I know people have it in for Paul Pressler.But with all the recent spending he has done on finally fixing up DL I think he is finally waking up to the fact that we expect a first class standard not usally found in other theme parks.And if we got another guy to replace Pressler he might be worse.Like AL has stated before Pressler was the wrong man for the job.But Im hoping he has finally learnt his lesson and will bring DL and DCA back up to its former glory.

But part of me hopes that this isn't quite a success as what Disney hope for.So it means we get lots of new exciting attractions to come for DCA.

madamemortem
08-26-2002, 10:40 PM
Did anyone else see the new Bug's Land sign over the entrance to Bountiful Valley Farm?

DwoernAdale
08-26-2002, 11:37 PM
I may be just grasping, but..

Maybe FFF wasnt just to boost DCA attendance, or to provide a lasting fix to that park itself. The 'To be Named Pooh Later' ride will open in March? Maybe they saw the problem with opening, what will be, an extremely popular ride in an extremely popular park right across the esplande from a park that might or might not be meeting expectations(I say might or might not, because I dont know of any company's management team that starts a project and doesnt overestimate immediate returns).

Maybe they knew they needed a bit of weight in DCA as far as kids rides, or there would be a few months of dangerously low attendance in DCA when the aforementioned 'pooh' ride opens.

We know they are aiming to change from a one day park to a multi day resort with the advent of DCA. Why would they let attendance go in the proverbial toilet in their new park, by opening a single ride in a tried and true property?

Not to say the best decisions have been made by Disney in introducing, theming, and promoting DCA...but I dont think the current powers that be are complete nitwits. As much fun as he is to bash, Eisner kept the company from being sold off in pieces like cookies at a charity bake sale back in the 80's-90's. I like to hope they are just...hmm, misdirected? =)

Anyway, I guess my point is that FFF was a cheap way(and from the pictures Ive seen, Very Nice! Enough so that *I'LL* want to see it) to balance the two parks out some when the bi-decade E-Ticket ride opens in our beloved Disneyland.

As a visitor that comes once a year if Im lucky, FFF will keep me from gravitating exclusively to Disneyland, and give me reason to stay another day for DCA.

Like I said. Grasping. Perhaps Im being to forgiving )

~DW

*edit* Oh, and I have a 2 year old, so that makes me a bit biased )

cstephens
08-27-2002, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by madamemortem
Did anyone else see the new Bug's Land sign over the entrance to Bountiful Valley Farm?

Yep, I liked it. I especially thought the back side of the sign was cute.

mandi2728
08-27-2002, 08:04 AM
Well I seriously hope they are off on the expected wait time, as we are arriving on the 8th.

Does anyone know, did FFF replace that little water play area they had, or this in addition to it?

stan4d_steph
08-27-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by mandi2728
Well I seriously hope they are off on the expected wait time, as we are arriving on the 8th.

Does anyone know, did FFF replace that little water play area they had, or this in addition to it?

Irrigation Station is still there and is a good place to cool off during a hot day at DCA.

oohykitten
08-28-2002, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by stan4d_steph

Irrigation Station is still there and is a good place to cool off during a hot day at DCA.
Last time I went that is ALL my 3 year old wanted to do. And it was raining out side. I got the meanest looks from people. Oh well, I am glad it is there, I know he LOVES it!

LibraryGirl
08-28-2002, 12:48 PM
Can anyone give me information on the rides and attractions at Flick's Fun Fair? I will be taking a 4 year old with me (in November). Are the rides decent enough for my hubby or i to take her on?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin Yee
08-28-2002, 02:29 PM
The land is surprisingly REALLY cute and well themed. It's the best themed thing in DCA by a wide margin. I quite like the atmosphere, and I have to say I wasn't expecting much.

However, I cannot stress enough that walkways will be very very very very very crowded.

MonorailMan
08-28-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Kevin Yee
However, I cannot stress enough that walkways will be very very very very very crowded.

Wow! A 5x Thing, Musy be bad. :D

Andrew
08-28-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by cstephens
Yep, I liked it. I especially thought the back side of the sign was cute.

Pictures, please! Some of us don't get to visit the parks quite as often as we used to... :p

EandCDad
08-28-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones

Are they simply the Queens of de Nile, or am I off-base here?

I wouldn't be surprised to see lengthy waits when it first opens (although 90 minutes seems a bit long). We'll wait until it is a reasonable wait before we venture in. Maybe in November on a weekday. I'm looking forward to it and the return of SuperStar Limo to give me kids some more things to do in DCA.

LibraryGirl
08-28-2002, 04:20 PM
I will definitely try to get some good pictures in on this next trip. I don't have a digital camera, but my friend has a negative scanner, so I will be purchasing film at Costco!

DisneylandBoy
08-28-2002, 09:57 PM
A few things:

1. Flik's Fun Fair looks like it is going to make up for some of the things DCA lacks so far: heavy theming, a lot for little kids, etc. I think it is going to be a hit.

2. DCA does have some very good E-Tickets: California Screamin' and Soarin' Over California and GRR (ok, maybe a D) and TOT will add to it and hopefully they will add more as the park expands. DL didn't have TONS of E-tickets when it opened. Give it time.

3. I definately think DCA is moving in the right direction. In a few years it could definately be something good. Hopefully . . . .

malin
08-30-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by LibraryGirl
Can anyone give me information on the rides and attractions at Flick's Fun Fair? I will be taking a 4 year old with me (in November). Are the rides decent enough for my hubby or i to take her on?

Thanks in advance!

mouseinfo.com has some great information on the land.Including photos of the whole land including photos and attractions.Including a detailed preview of the attractions.

julia
08-30-2002, 02:05 PM
Hi!

Disney's Operations personnel is constantly looking at lines and wait times, so if Flik's Fun Fair suffers from long waits, then, I wouldn't be surprised if they put it on a FastPass system.

I was just at Disneyland this week and Flik's Fun Fair is getting really close to completion! It is located just inside California Adventure, next to Bountiful Valley.

Enjoy!
Julia

cstephens
09-03-2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Andrew
Pictures, please! Some of us don't get to visit the parks quite as often as we used to... :p

In case you haven't seen it yet, there's a picture of the back side of the sign in Al's update today.

crc9998
10-07-2002, 09:59 AM
I went to a soft opening of FFF last week, and I have to say that if you read Adrienne Krock review of it...she describes it to a T!

Personally, with the size I would not attempt to go in, if there was a 90 minute wait...cuz you could only imagine how crowed it would be on the inside, it is it that crowded on the outside!

On Heimlichs Chew Chew Train, something I thought was cute, that was not mentioned in her article...is that as you go under the watermelon, and through the Animal Cracker box...you get a little surprise!

The thing I did not like about the Bug Boogie, is that when the ride ends, and the cars stop for you to get out...the doors are in different areas. So, you might come to a stop with your door, right against the car next to you.

I wuld take my kids back in there, because basically that is all they can do in this park...with exception to a very few other rides.