PDA

View Full Version : White & Gold or Rainbow?

DisneylandKid
08-26-2002, 12:27 PM
Which of the coloring schemes for Small World do you like?

The Original and Soon-to-be-Current White and Gold
The Previous Multicolored/Rainbow look

Not Afraid
08-26-2002, 12:33 PM
I prefer the White and Gold for Disneyland. It is fresh, clean, shiny and inviting. (And I admit to being a purist as far as original art is concerned)

However, I LOVE the rainbow colors for DL Paris. It is often cloudy or rainy there and the colors make the attraction very cheerful and inviting. The same white and gold would not work for DLP.

BELLEH5
08-26-2002, 12:37 PM
I'm with Not Afraid, I love the white & gold colors(the orignal) but the bright colors make the attraction happy and welcoming. I would love to see the green hippo come back!!!

Ghoulish Delight
08-26-2002, 12:39 PM
I definitely vote for original white and gold.

My reasons:

1) Walt was on to something. White doesn't fade. Ever notice how stark the exteriors a lot of original Disneyland was? It's not that Walt hated color. Quite the contrary. He was very aware that he was building this place in a desert. So he kept everything relatively low key, colorwise, because (as the new IASW paintjob and Toon Town painfully demonstrate) color fades in the California Sun. And bland white looks better than badly faded color anyday.

2) I never really like the new paint job anyway. Too pastel. If they went the oposite direction, bright, vibrant colors, I'd like that more. But, of course, fading becomes the enemy.

I'm looking forward to seeing it in its original splendor. We were over there yesterday, and I was surprised at the progress. Almost all of the front facing surfaces are already white. What's left are the smaller, side facing surfaces. Plus, I assume they will be repainting the toy store as well as all the other small elements around that have been painted to match the colorful scheme.

blusilva
08-26-2002, 12:45 PM
White & Gold.

I always thought that the multi-colored paint job made it too busy. When it was white & gold, a lot more of the architectural details actually stood out, because the paint wasn't a distraction.

merlinjones
08-26-2002, 01:08 PM
The original white and gold color scheme is simple, elegant and showcases the textures and light/shadow play designed into the facade. The eruption of color inside is all the more striking due to its contrast with the simplicity outside.

The tacky/trendy pastels on the exterior defeated these design ideas by detracting from them and bared no resemblance to the equisite color sensibilites of Mary Blar as demonstrated inside.

The white is also practical from an upkeep standpoint.

The same goes for Tomorrowland, especially Space Mountain, which was designed to cast shadows on a plain white surface in specific ways that would evoke the moon. That effect worked brilliantly by day or night. Now it just looks like a dung heap with no subtextual effect.

Cadaverous Pallor
08-26-2002, 03:18 PM
White and gold! It looks gorgeous already - I can't wait until it's done!

Thank you to the powers that be for such an intelligent decision.

innerSpaceman
08-26-2002, 03:37 PM
Actually, I vote for the white, gold and BLUE color scheme that succeeded the pure white and gold look. But I'll take either one over that Pastel botch job.

Just a note as an adjunct to MerlinJones' earlier post: I believe that Mary Blair's designs were for outrageous colors on the exterior facade. It was Rolly Crump who decided that white would be best for the outside, and Mary Blair's color explosion on the inside. (That is, if I'm not mistaken - I hate to go up against the fact machine that is MerlinJones - but this info is from the very latest issue of The "E" Ticket, another usually reliable source of Disneyland info).

Sheila
08-26-2002, 03:45 PM
Although I'm with the majority on white-and-gold for the exterior, I do really like the present use of colors in the Finale room (not sure I'd still like an all-white-color finale....) :)

Sheila

Gemini Cricket
08-26-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by DisneylandKid
Which of the coloring schemes for Small World do you like?

The Previous Multicolored/Rainbow look

I say:

Easier upkeep.
:)

oohykitten
08-26-2002, 04:00 PM
Well I can't remember who or whom said it. But when the new maps came out with the gold and white picture of IASW that they would change it back. I am glad they did. It just looks like Walt is still around. Corny I know but it's nice to see. :)

DisneylandKid
08-26-2002, 04:05 PM
I've got to say, I'm rather surprised at what people have to say. I thought people would really have liked the vibrant colors. I think that if they were kept up and painted regularly, the multicolored look would look better, but if not, the white/gold.

I personally think that the multicolored look would appeal more towards kids.

That's just my opinion, though.

merlinjones
08-26-2002, 04:45 PM
>>Just a note as an adjunct to MerlinJones' earlier post: I believe that Mary Blair's designs were for outrageous colors on the exterior facade. It was Rolly Crump who decided that white would be best for the outside, and Mary Blair's color explosion on the inside. (That is, if I'm not mistaken - I hate to go up against the fact machine that is MerlinJones - but this info is from the very latest issue of The "E" Ticket, another usually reliable source of Disneyland info).<<

Then I respectfully support Rolly Crump's design decision to utilize white outside with Mary's color explosion inside... and his use of texturing to carry it off. And I believe Rolly was also one of the leading lights of the white 1967 Tomorrowland and its modernist light casting sculpture effects? Rolly, Mary or Walt... those guys had it together over the tacky Mattel pastel marketing colors of the 80's, which never should have happened (and certainly wouldn't have, even if Mary had had her way with the exterior. Keep marketing people (and other Imagineer-come-lately's) OUT of Disneyland (unless, of course, they are now saying that marketing surveys show that they need to go back to Walt's stuff, like painting Small World and Tomorrowland white - - in which case I 'd welcome their input)! Spaceman...?

madamemortem
08-26-2002, 10:37 PM
I too can't wait to see the white and gold return to small world, but I wonder if the toy store at the exit will remain the pastels or be repainted to better match the white and gold. What do you all think??

Rallymonkey23
08-26-2002, 11:40 PM
Am I wrong here, or was the toy shop just recently painted?

And if I'm right, do you think they will repaint it to match the exterior of the ride? Or just leave it the way it is?

Back on topic here. I saw the pic that Zapppop (Hope your having fun!) posted and think the white, gold and blue really makes the ride look more vibrant. I can't wait to see it when it's finished!

Morrigoon
08-26-2002, 11:56 PM
Anyone catch the WWoD marathon last night? Neither did I. But I did catch the final episode of the marathon, which, I believe was made not long before Walt's death, as he was talking about NOS and showing it.

ANYWAY, he's talking about lots of the attractions, including IASW. He walks by a couple models. One was the white and gold facade, and next to it, a model of the facade in colors (very Mary Blair-esque). I just found that interesting.

Personally, I prefer White, Gold and Blue, but white and gold is wonderful too.

merlinjones
08-27-2002, 01:33 AM
>>Am I wrong here, or was the toy shop just recently painted? And if I'm right, do you think they will repaint it to match the exterior of the ride? Or just leave it the way it is?<<

I would think the Toy Shop and various Gift Shops would have to be painted Gold and White (or perhaps Gold White and Blue, like the film kiosk/old ticket booth is still painted) in order to compliment the restored Small World. The pastels no longer fit.

innerSpaceman
08-27-2002, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Mattel pastel marketing colors of the 80's . . . never should have happened . . . Keep marketing people (and other Imagineer-come-lately's) OUT of Disneyland (unless, of course, they are now saying that marketing surveys show that they need to go back to Walt's stuff, like painting Small World and Tomorrowland white - - in which case I 'd welcome their input)! Spaceman...?
Well, when there's a dearth of new ideas, returning to Walt's ways is always a safe bet. As for Tomorrowland, I wish there were some way to express 'futuristic' without resorting to the stereotypical white and silver approach. I'm afraid that a return to a white Tomorrowland will make the place look even more like Yesterdayland. And I seem to recall a lot of upkeep problems with the former color scheme as well. In some ways, colorful can be adequately futuristic (i.e., the Star Tours murual vs. the old Mary Blair murals), but when it comes to Space Mountain - - it's all about White, baby.

mandi2728
08-27-2002, 08:10 AM
I guess I am one of the few who prefer the colors to the plain white and gold. I have seen some pics of the new color scheme, and I can say I dont like it. It looks so darn dull and boring.

But oh well, its still a great ride, and the kids love it!

Although I can imagine how awesome the Christmas lights are gonna look against a white background, instead of competing with the colors!