PDA

View Full Version : DCA Discount Days

mousecat
06-20-2001, 10:00 AM
It seems that the lack of attendance and the negative buzz have moved the mountain back a little. I understand, and have confirmed, that admission to DCA has been lowered to $33 for So Cal residents and free for children under 10. What do you think?

cstephens
06-20-2001, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by mousecat
It seems that the lack of attendance and the negative buzz have moved the mountain back a little. I understand, and have confirmed, that admission to DCA has been lowered to $33 for So Cal residents and free for children under 10. What do you think?

Well, it's not exactly "free for children under 10". Each paying adult can be accompanied by one child for free, and each adult is limited to buying 5 adult tickets.

/cs

"'Airplane'? Oh, I've never seen that, but it's my dad's favorite movie."

AVP
06-20-2001, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by mousecat
What do you think?
Well, it seems that Disney has found a very roundabout way to offer the $20.00 ticket some people have said the park needed.

A family of two adults and two under-10 children can now get into the park for $66.00, rather than $152.00. That even beats $80.00. Now we wait and see what this does to the attendence numbers. Combine this with the return of the MSEP / DLP, and we may even see capacity crowds this summer.

Gee - maybe the roasted chicken leg cart will finally open! I haven't had one of those since DCA opened.

Adrienne VP

[Admin note: vB code for quoted text fixed. -- Lani]

JeffG
06-20-2001, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by AVP

Gee - maybe the roasted chicken leg cart will finally open! I haven't had one of those since DCA opened.

I'm not sure if that cart will even still be there anymore now that the Farmer's Market menu has been modified to feature Roasted Turkey Legs, Roasted Chicken, and BBQ Chicken. The wraps are no more...

-Jeff

Niwel
06-20-2001, 05:37 PM
Well, it finally happend!
DCA will be offering discounts to So Cal adults from $43 down to $33 and kids can come in for free.

Its eerie that after the park first opened, this was a suggestion brought up by quite a few Mouseplanet visitors who had been to DCA.

Will the price difference will help increase attendance? and is that a good thing? From my experience, ride capacity is not that big, so while more crowds look better, it also increases the wait times.

Do you think this type of manuever is too soon for DCA or too late?

Morrigoon
06-20-2001, 08:12 PM
I think it's a very reasonable move. By allowing kids in for free, the parents a) save a lot of money and b) have little to complain about. ("Hey there's not enough here for my kids to do!" "Got in free didn't they?" "Oh, yeah I guess they did.")

Now the parents feel free to focus on themselves a bit, because it is for themselves that they paid the price of admission. Perhaps they spend that extra $66 (based on a family with two kids) eating at one of the fine restaurants in the park. If the average eating budget for this family was $10 per person (fast food only), now they have an extra $15 per person to play with. Or, for families unwilling to try the park because of word of mouth, the new price may be incentive enough for them to give it a chance. If they really are letting kids in for free, I think it will be interesting to see what happens the next couple months. Yes, I think it was a wise business move. It's still up to the guests as to whether they end up liking the park or not, but it's Disney's way to get them to give it a chance.

EandCDad
06-21-2001, 07:14 AM
As a parent with two children (6 and 4), It doesn't make me want to take the whole brood. If there is not things for the kids to do, then it doesn't matter what there is for me to do or what price I pay for them. I can't just sit them down at a table and go ride all the other rides myself. If they had dropped all tickets to $20 it would have been better for me, we could leave our kids with Grandma and my wife and I could try to park out for $40. As it is, we will continue with our Disneyland only AP.

DisLee
06-21-2001, 02:03 PM
Now the parents feel free to focus on themselves a bit, because it is for themselves that they paid the price of admission. Ah, that is absolutely wonderful. Mom and Dad, just screw the kids and focus on yourselves. What a beautiful notion.

Yes, DCA is truly the first Disney DYSFUNCTIONAL family theme park.

Lost Boy
06-21-2001, 08:12 PM
Now I wonder about this:

This summer (let us ponder the possible for a moment) a lot of "out of towners" do in fact show up to see the newest Disney Theme Park. And then when they arrive, the find out that (for the first time in recorded history) that locals in So. California can get in for $10.00 less and their kids under 10 get in free with the adults during the Summer. Won't this cause some new problems? I remember when the out of town guests came during off season and where furious to find out that us lucky Southern Californians got in for less. I saw some pretty intense scenes at Main Gate Disneyland when that happened.

This is going to be a hoot to watch. And will it really bring in the locals to see a park that nobody seems to care that much about anyway?

Lots to think about here.:eek:

slaakker
06-21-2001, 09:58 PM
My only comment is that they need to add Las Vegas to the Southern Cal discount. I'm close enough to count aren't I? I used to have a Southern Cal AP but they discontinued it for us "Out of towners". So the cry "locals only" still rings loud in California.:D

EandCDad
06-22-2001, 08:19 AM
slaakker,
Sorry, but when I go to Hawaii, I don't get Kamainai rates (I can't even spell it). If Vegas has a locals benefit, they don't give it to everyone (then it's not a locals benefit). If they are trying to pull in locals, they give a locals benefit and if they turned DL and DCA into "locals only" I'd be "stoked dude."

PS- I'm not much of a geography buff, but LV is not in Cal much less So. Cal:eek:

Lost Boy- You bring the popcorn and I'll bring the folding chairs, let's watch the mayhem

06-22-2001, 10:21 AM
Wouldn't it have been a more savvy P.R. move to sell a full price ticket with a free return admission deal to SoCal residents? That way, you'd get the repeat business (selling two times the concessions) and you'd circumvent out-of-towners' (like me) wrath.

slaakker
06-23-2001, 11:00 PM
EandCDAD,

I'm not sure how to take your reply, but my post was very "Tongue in cheek".

Wouldn't we all like a discount to just about anything, especially Disneyland?:)

ODV CM
06-24-2001, 11:40 AM
I think it is a very wise buiseness move. You are testing the waters, so to speak. If this seems to work a little bit, then they can offer it for everyone. If it doesn't, then they can eliminate the program and work on more E-Ticket attractions. If it works too well, you can make it an either/or where either adults get in for $33 or kids get in free with each full-paid adult. Considering that Disney's buisness is 60% local, and that out-of-towners aren't even going to know about the discount coming in, and therefore were willing to pay full price, there's no buiseness reason to offer it to everyone. Of course, if they had a good theme park, they should do it to attract more people to see just how good it is, but since they don't, then it wouldn't do them much good to offer it anyway. And EandC dad, now that Popcorn is $2.75 a box and $6 a bucket, I'm afraid that I can't afford to join you guys...

dghosthost
06-24-2001, 11:59 AM
I think it may bring up the attendence (once you figure in Millionare and the electrical parade) short term...but it would have brought more in, IMHO, if they had offered it to the tourists. They are often the ones who stand outside and choose Disneyland. I can imagine if they had a discount giving DCA a try...they sure have less of a notion of what is inside!

EandCDad
07-04-2001, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by slaakker
EandCDAD,

I'm not sure how to take your reply, but my post was very "Tongue in cheek".

Wouldn't we all like a discount to just about anything, especially Disneyland?:)

Please don't take my posts in any way other than the manner in which I intend you to take them.;)