PDA

View Full Version : Where is the "Tip" board?

Matterhorn Yodeler
02-13-2008, 10:13 AM
I'm reading one of the articles here on MousePlanet and it mentions the "Tip" board which indicates ride wait times. Where is this located in Disneyland? Where is it in DCA? Any other info about the "Tip" board would be appreciated, such as how often it is updated, is it staffed by a CM, which attractions are included, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Niwel
02-13-2008, 10:33 AM
In Disneyland you can find it in right past Coke Corner en route to Adventureland.

In DCA, it is right by the bridge leading to Paradise Pier.

If is updated fairly regularly -- the CM staffing it will usually make calls to the top attractions to ask what the wait time is (the CM will sometimes as the person about to board the car how long they waited).

The biggest attractions ("the 'E' Tickets) are on the board -- along with smaller but popular rides like Peter Pan.

Matterhorn Yodeler
02-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will look for it next time I'm there!

Darkbeer
02-13-2008, 12:30 PM
DCA does not have a Wait Time Board, it was removed years ago.

The Disneyland Wait Board usually opens up at park opening, and remains open until about 1 hour prior to the evening parade.

Niwel
02-13-2008, 12:32 PM
DCA does not have a Wait Time Board, it was removed years ago.

OK ... then when it WAS open, it was by the bridge.

Bytebear
02-13-2008, 01:05 PM
I never understood why the board wasn't automated. In fact, you could do automated feeds that could be picked up by websites, or even sent to cell phones. Wouldn't that be nice?

Darkbeer
02-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Universal does it electronically, and with current technology, it would be easy to do.

No signs like "Check with the Cast Member for current Show Times). And you could use High Definition Monitors for nice crisp clean images that wouldn't look like a Dot Matrix type of display.

And the screen could have priorities, listing attractions that are closed for Refurb. (Signage like "Not available today due to maintenance", or closed temporary due to mechanical issues "Currently not operating, but should be available later in the day", then popular rides. and their wait times. The closed attractions could be handled by the person in charge of dispatching maintenance, and the fact it is closed, and when it reopens. As for wait times, have a tie-in with the Fastpass system (and maybe even display the current return times being issued, along with the stand by wait time. Other attractions could have a simple input device near the main operator that they input the current wait time. This info could also be made available to the DLR managers on their Blackberry's or similar type of devices, and available at the front desk of City Hall and DCA's Guest Relations.

Shows could have all the correct times they will be performed.

Using an electronic board, you could have the info "rotate", say every 30 seconds, starting with closed attractions, then the Fastpass attractions, with stand by waits and the current return time window for Fastpasses being issued, then other popular attractions, such as Peter Pan, Finding Nemo and other attractions that don't use FP, then a page listing the times for Fireworks, Shows and other entertainment. (The City Hall version could be designed to allow the staff to go straight to the page they need without waiting).

And you could place the boards in multiple locations. Such as the Main Entrance Plaza area near the Ticket Booths, multiple locations in the parks, in the Disney owned hotel Lobbies, and even have it available in the rooms, similar to what the do in Las Vegas with Keno.

In the parks, make the stands similar to the DVC stands, maybe even locate them next to the DVC booths as a way to get guests to approach the DVC staff.

It would be handy info for guests, and would be a good place to stop and check before walking to the other side of the park.

MermaidHair
02-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Loved your reply, Darkbeer. It's not like you have been thinking about this before or anything - is it?;)

Darkbeer
02-13-2008, 02:15 PM
One more point, you could place a small LCD display in each of the attractions Wait Boards that would replace the wheel that is currently being used. This way, the majority of the sign would be the traditional wooden style, with carved edges and detailed painting. Then design the video background on the screen to be the same color as the majority of the individual sign.

And yes, I have seen the USH wait board for years, and have always thought that it would work at Disney. Alas, it seems like it is just another one of thoe items that Disney used to excel at in the Guest Services area, but other places are offering it instead of Disney.

Bytebear
02-13-2008, 02:43 PM
I wonder if they don't allow times posted outside the park for fear that people will see 90minute waits for attractions and choose not to buy admission for the day.

Mermaid
02-14-2008, 06:08 AM
At Epcot the wait board is automated and it also includes FastPass availability as well as the time they are being given out for. Example" Soarin' 60 min Fastpass 3:40-4:40 will scroll by. I thought it was pretty cool!

Drince88
02-14-2008, 07:22 AM
At Epcot the wait board is automated and it also includes FastPass availability as well as the time they are being given out for. Example" Soarin' 60 min Fastpass 3:40-4:40 will scroll by. I thought it was pretty cool!

And they now have multiple locations!

They also use reader-card type technology to determine the wait times - every so often the machine beeps and they scan a card, then hand it to a guest to give to the loader. There can be a bit of a delay if the parade just got out in updating the sign, but it's much more reliable than anything I've seen at DL.

tinksmom
02-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Universal does it electronically, and with current technology, it would be easy to do.

No signs like "Check with the Cast Member for current Show Times). And you could use High Definition Monitors for nice crisp clean images that wouldn't look like a Dot Matrix type of display.

And the screen could have priorities, listing attractions that are closed for Refurb. (Signage like "Not available today due to maintenance", or closed temporary due to mechanical issues "Currently not operating, but should be available later in the day", then popular rides. and their wait times. The closed attractions could be handled by the person in charge of dispatching maintenance, and the fact it is closed, and when it reopens. As for wait times, have a tie-in with the Fastpass system (and maybe even display the current return times being issued, along with the stand by wait time. Other attractions could have a simple input device near the main operator that they input the current wait time. This info could also be made available to the DLR managers on their Blackberry's or similar type of devices, and available at the front desk of City Hall and DCA's Guest Relations.

Shows could have all the correct times they will be performed.

Using an electronic board, you could have the info "rotate", say every 30 seconds, starting with closed attractions, then the Fastpass attractions, with stand by waits and the current return time window for Fastpasses being issued, then other popular attractions, such as Peter Pan, Finding Nemo and other attractions that don't use FP, then a page listing the times for Fireworks, Shows and other entertainment. (The City Hall version could be designed to allow the staff to go straight to the page they need without waiting).

And you could place the boards in multiple locations. Such as the Main Entrance Plaza area near the Ticket Booths, multiple locations in the parks, in the Disney owned hotel Lobbies, and even have it available in the rooms, similar to what the do in Las Vegas with Keno.

In the parks, make the stands similar to the DVC stands, maybe even locate them next to the DVC booths as a way to get guests to approach the DVC staff.

It would be handy info for guests, and would be a good place to stop and check before walking to the other side of the park.

There is, however, a difference between what Disney "can do" and what Disney "wants to do."

Disney wants to increase profits. There are four ways to do this: (1) raise prices (2) cut costs (3) sell more tickets or (4) get people to spontaneously buy more trinkets or junk food.

(1) Raising prices is not pertinent to this discussion.

(2) Investing in new technology to broadcast wait times in real time would raise, not cut, costs.

(3) I don't think that an ad campaign featuring "And now you can see the 180 minute wait for Splash Mountain in Real Time" would have a positive impact on ticket sales. What about Fastpass, you say? Fastpass was developed to get people out of lines where they couldn't spontaneously buy junkfood and trinkets--not because Disney wanted enhance the guest experience.

(4) I think that Disney actually makes money by having people traipse around the park--efficient touring results in less merchandise sold. Most people in the park are either APers who don't spend a lot of money or unsavvy tourists who spend all day there because they haven't figured out the system. This second group spends a lot of money on junk food and trinkets because they are tired, hot, and they are trying to distract whiny kids. Getting them ride more and walk by fewer shops would hurt Disney's bottom line.

Matterhorn Yodeler
02-19-2008, 11:07 AM
There's a whole series of articles by Jeff Kober on Disney's management approach to the parks. From reading them, I don't think it serves Disney's purpose to just have people wandering around, hot and annoyed. Even one negative experience multiplies into bad word of mouth. Disney parks are all about "service recovery", making people's experiences enjoyable.

So even though there may be initial cost in providing a "tip" board, it more than pays for itself in customer appreciation and a willingness to come back for another fun experience and great recommendations to others.

I really like all of the automated ideas that have been expressed here, and hope to see some of this "innovention" at the DLR soon!

AVP
02-19-2008, 12:17 PM
They also use reader-card type technology to determine the wait times - every so often the machine beeps and they scan a card, then hand it to a guest to give to the loader.This is also used at Disneyland, just not quite as visibly.

AVP

Bytebear
02-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Fastpass was developed to get people out of lines where they couldn't spontaneously buy junkfood and trinkets--not because Disney wanted enhance the guest experience.

This isn't true. This was done specifically to enhance guest experience. For every FP guest who saves 60 minutes, you are essentially adding those minutes to those 200 or so guests waiting in line. Add up the 20 or 30 FP guests per hour, and the standby guest loses a good 20 minutes. Standby lines are longer because of Fastpass. Remove Fastpass, and you give everyone in line an extra 15 minutes of shopping. It all evens out.

Now, add to that the extra cost of building additional queues, maintaining the FP machines, hourly employee salaries to verify tickets, the printed tickets themselves, and the cost is much higher for the park to have FP than not to have FP.

The only reason to have FP is so that a family on a very busy day will not complain that they could not ride anything. There are many families who refuse to wait 60 minutes for any attraction no matter what, so they leave their vacation sad and disappointed. With FP, they can at least get in two or three E-Ticket attractions without much hassle.

Personally, I could take it or leave it. I take advantage of the FP system when I have a well planned day at the park, and I am in a small group. In a larger group or when I am just going for a few hours, I find the FP system burdensom and tend to avoid it. Oh, the number of unused passes I have for 11:45. :rolleyes: And don't even get me started on the concept of "runners". Talk about making a nice experience stressful.

partyoffive
02-25-2008, 06:04 PM
:)
And don't even get me started on the concept of "runners". Talk about making a nice experience stressful.

I had to laugh when I read this - we get to the park once a year as we are about 15 hours away (if we drive straight through!) so we use fastpass sometimes, but not most of the time - we spend five days in the park, so we have some time to wait I figure - but I have always read about this concept of "runners" and thought . . . if we are there to spend time together, why do I want someone running around the park without the group all day to get tickets?? I also don't think it saves a bit of time criss crossing the parks and hopping back and forth all day (but that's just a personal oppinion so please don't everyone get mad at me for saying that :)) I think if your trying to save time, finish a land and move on . . . but I am a freak about "finishing one thing before moving on to another" . . . it's a sickness . . . i need therapy ;)

LCExpress
03-03-2008, 05:59 AM
For every FP guest who saves 60 minutes, you are essentially adding those minutes to those 200 or so guests waiting in line. Add up the 20 or 30 FP guests per hour, and the standby guest loses a good 20 minutes. Standby lines are longer because of Fastpass.

At first, this made sense to me. However, the minutes "lost" to FPers would have been there anyway, if those people had been in line the whole time. In practice (and there may be other factors), I have seen wait times decrease for standby guests as well as FP users. The FastPass system distributes the ride load more evenly throughout the day. It enhances the guests' experience AND creates time for all that extra shopping Disney executives are so enthusiastic about.

Believe me, DLR is not hurting on merchandise sales. I did not see a decrease in traffic inside the stores on my last visit (a rainy weekend and a sunny weekend in February).