PDA

View Full Version : Obervations, Episode 2: Attack of the seat belts.

MonorailMan
08-25-2002, 07:38 PM
Well, got back from DL about 10 min. ago, and noticed a few things:

1. I seemed to have a hard time getting my Soarin' selbelt into the hole, It took about 5 times before it clicked.

2. Still love Splash Mountain single rider!

3. Our CM on Indy didn't ask us to try to stand up. I was so in the groove of having to try to stand up, I did. The CM said, "No need to try escape, It's too late now!" and hit the flashing green button.

4. GRR was the busiest I've even seen today, at over 100 min.

5. The ABC event was OK, I even talked to "Travis" from "That Was Then". He was over at the "You Make The Choice" table.

6. WLIIA was sold out by 10. Darn!

7. Screamin had a blue train. I didn't know that.

DisneylandKid
08-25-2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
6. WLIIA was sold out by 10. Darn!Wow! Good thing I got there right at 9:30!

Ghoulish Delight
08-26-2002, 07:48 AM
3. Our CM on Indy didn't ask us to try to stand up. I was so in the groove of having to try to stand up, I did. The CM said, "No need to try escape, It's too late now!" and hit the flashing green button.
This was addressed in a recent Mouseplanet column (I don't remember if it was the DIG or one of Koenig's updates). A couple weeks ago, state safety inspectors (who mandated the "try to stand up" procedure to begin with) came through one morning of a surprise safety inspection of Indy. Among the things they tested was a system that automatically stops the ride if the vehicle detects a problem with any of the seat belts. They were apparantly satisfied with the way it was funcitoning and announced that CMs no longer had to ask people to try and stand up.

MonorailMan
08-26-2002, 06:39 PM
Also:!

The Splash Mountain "Shadow Animation" before the drop was broken. Also, at the very end, where the 2 owls are, one had it's body off, so you could see the AA! :eek:

rexfarms
08-26-2002, 08:56 PM
Also:!

The Splash Mountain "Shadow Animation" before the drop was broken. Also, at the very end, where the 2 owls are, one had it's body off, so you could see the AA! :eek:

Did you take a pic of the AA? Is this the owl by the Photo thing that is supposed to be working? You know where you are supposed to see your log go down the drop so you can decide if you want it or not? Not in the room with all the screens but when your about to alight from the log and its the photo owl. Did this make any sence? lol :)

justagrrl
08-27-2002, 05:31 AM
We were there on Sunday. One owl shaking head back and forth, left to right with a blank sign next to him. I was trying to remember what should have been on the sign.

Gemini Cricket
08-27-2002, 05:47 AM
2. Still love Splash Mountain single rider!

Me too. The night before the MP meet I attended, I rode Splash. They gave me a pass and I got into the exit line. What I didn't know was that I was supposed to bypass the wheelchair line too! I waited for five minutes when a really funny ten year old kid in a wheelchair told me that I was in the wrong line.
"Didn't you notice you're the only one in this line who can walk?" he joked with me.
"I can wait." I told him. I felt totally un-PC by running to the front of this line too.
"Don't be stupid." he told me. I laughed and heeded his suggestion.
When I exited the ride, I shook his hand and thanked him.
I waited a whole 10 minutes for Splash. Thumbs up.

Regarding the two owls:
I never noticed two owls at the photo screen at the end of the ride before you get out of your log...

100 minutes is 90 minutes too long to wait for GRR. :)

Also, I have been on Splash several times and not seen Brer Fox's shadow animation. He used to have a light on in his house too, I didn't see it the last time I rode...

MonorailMan
08-27-2002, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by rexfarms

Did this make any sence? lol :)

Yes It Did! And no, the screen was totally white! (No photo preview.) :(

Ghoulish Delight
08-27-2002, 07:25 AM

Yes It Did! And no, the screen was totally white! (No photo preview.) :( The photo preview has been out of comission for a LONG time. It just was never feasible. Because of the nature of log rides (unpredictable speeds, random stopping, etc.), it was rare that you'd actually see YOUR picture on that screen. Invariably, you'd get the log in front of or behind you. They tried covering for it by, instead of showing the actual pictures, showing pictures with the Spalsh characters riding, but that was silly. Then they turned the screen off, but left the owl running, which was terrible. Now, they've shut it all down and are hoping no one notices its existence (guess it's not working :D )

Cadaverous Pallor
08-27-2002, 07:26 AM
The photo preview on Splash has not worked in a LONG time (at least, not that I have seen). I don't think I've seen my picture there for nearly a year! For months they let the owl babble on about buying pictures while the screen showed the stock shots of the characters riding in the log. Then, thank God, they turned the owl and the screen off altogether. I always hated this poke in the back to spend money. We were a captive audience. :rolleyes:

I, too, have never seen two owls.

Not Afraid
08-27-2002, 07:35 AM
You two really ARE married.;)

Uncle Dick
08-27-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
This was addressed in a recent Mouseplanet column (I don't remember if it was the DIG or one of Koenig's updates). A couple weeks ago, state safety inspectors (who mandated the "try to stand up" procedure to begin with) came through one morning of a surprise safety inspection of Indy. Among the things they tested was a system that automatically stops the ride if the vehicle detects a problem with any of the seat belts. They were apparantly satisfied with the way it was funcitoning and announced that CMs no longer had to ask people to try and stand up.
I take the greatest pride in being the very first to "break" this story in this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8686).

Of course, I had just chalked in up to incompetence on the part of the CM rather than a policy change. Who'd of thunk they'd actually loosen safety regulations?

Dreamstaker
08-27-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
You two really ARE married.;)

Yup, that was fast too.

In 10 years they will be the couple who have entire conversations with thier eyes and half a word. :D

Ghoulish Delight
08-27-2002, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Dreamstaker

Yup, that was fast too.

In 10 years they will be the couple who have entire conversations with thier eyes and half a word. :D Well, we HAVE dated for 6 1/2 years and lived together for 4, so by the time we hit our 1st anniversary, it'll be more like our 5th.

Here's an observation, to attempt to get things back on topic. Carlos (as in "Don't be cheeeken") was pleasantly audible on Sunday. Too many times I've ridden Pirates and could barely hear what Carlos was saying. He was loud and clear this time, though.

rexfarms
08-27-2002, 08:14 PM
Yeah thats what I'm trying to get at, I've never seen TWO owls. It makes me mad that they only have one vulture but still have the perch for the other one, whats up with this? I love Splash Single rider too but are you not supposed to go into the Fast Pass line? Thats what they told me to do, but this was early morning too. I love the GRR Single Rider. Thats the best. As for 100 min wait. I dont accept queues longer then 10 mins. NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!! lol. What was the matter with the Soarin' seatbelts? I've kinda had this problem on the Maliboomer(it was my fault though) but never Soarin'. :)

MonorailMan
08-27-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms
Yeah thats what I'm trying to get at, I've never seen TWO owls.

Look to the right of the first owl. There's a little black box, which looks WAIT! Idea (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/images/icons/icon3.gif Just came on!) That little black box next to the owl, must be the old projector.

stan4d_steph
08-28-2002, 02:01 PM
I believe what you thought was a second owl is supposed to be a camera, though I believe it is just a prop. The owl used to yammer about how "Sure is a mighty fine likeness" or some such, but they finally turned it off. The camera box next to the owl could have been used to house a projector, but I believe it's merely for show. I'll have to look at the positioning next time I ride.