PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the pan handling and time share sales on Harbor?

nursechrissy32
02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
This is the first time that I have noticed so many time share pushers and now pan handling guitarists on Harbor across the street from DLand.

I was not going to post anything...until tonight as we were walking back from Tony Roma's from dinner, we were approached 3 times by people for money..and then, there were these 2 time share people that have been there since earlier that day, I heard him tell this family all about Disneyland hours and shows...almost like he was working for Disneyland..he had this family of about 6 people...then he tells them he would give them $100.00 to come in and listen to his time share information. He was not alone there were a few on each corner.

I just thought I would ask you all, I just have not seen this before in this area. It sort of makes me mad at the time share people...they are almost taking advantage of having Disneyland right across the street.

backsthepack
02-12-2008, 04:49 AM
You know, some of them bother me while others do not. We had a young man, very respectful (not pushy or anything, we walked up to him) selling his CD's once. We listened, our son enjoyed it. We bought one. He autographed it for our kid (just in case he gets famous). Anyway, that didn't bother me. He is out there trying to get his music heard. But the people that set up "junk" stands and the time share people really irk me. The stands belong at a swap meet. The time share people? Come on. Like I am going to blow part of my little vacation time sitting there listening to that.

Leofoenget
02-12-2008, 07:59 AM
This is the first time that I have noticed so many time share pushers and now pan handling guitarists on Harbor across the street from DLand.

I was not going to post anything...until tonight as we were walking back from Tony Roma's from dinner, we were approached 3 times by people for money..and then, there were these 2 time share people that have been there since earlier that day, I heard him tell this family all about Disneyland hours and shows...almost like he was working for Disneyland..he had this family of about 6 people...then he tells them he would give them $100.00 to come in and listen to his time share information. He was not alone there were a few on each corner.

I just thought I would ask you all, I just have not seen this before in this area. It sort of makes me mad at the time share people...they are almost taking advantage of having Disneyland right across the street.

When I was there in Dec, the homeless guy wasn't on Harbor he was BEGGING BY THE SHUTTLE DROPOFF AREA! I told security. He was on Disney property!! NOT ACCEPTABLE. If they ask for $$ on the sidewalk by Mc Donalds or whatever so be it, but NOT on Disney property. I think they shooed him away. As for the timeshare I'm terrible. NOOOOO!!!!! or I ignore them completly

Mrs Mouse
02-12-2008, 08:24 AM
You know, some of them bother me while others do not. We had a young man, very respectful (not pushy or anything, we walked up to him) selling his CD's once. We listened, our son enjoyed it. We bought one. He autographed it for our kid (just in case he gets famous). Anyway, that didn't bother me. He is out there trying to get his music heard. But the people that set up "junk" stands and the time share people really irk me. The stands belong at a swap meet. The time share people? Come on. Like I am going to blow part of my little vacation time sitting there listening to that.
We've came across these young men with the CDs many times over our trips. They have always been nothing but friendly and respectful. They certainly don't bother me at all. The time-share people? That's another story. After nine days of walking past you and saying, "no thanks, I'm not interested" do you really think I'm going to jump at the chance on the tenth day? :rolleyes:

An interesting side note - one of those guys selling their CDs auditioned on American Idol last week! Unfortunately, he didn't make it through - but I thought he was really good! It was cool to see.

Drince88
02-12-2008, 08:39 AM
One advantage of staying at the HoJos is that you can cross Harbor right by the hotel - and then I bet you get to avoid most of the hassles! The only issue is walking back at night, that side next to the big hedge is a bit darker feeling.

The other advantage to walking on the Disneyland side of Harbor is you avoid all the driveways - which can be a very good thing if cars are getting antsy to get onto the street and don't see you!

The old man
02-12-2008, 09:10 AM
After nine days of walking past you and saying, "no thanks, I'm not interested" do you really think I'm going to jump at the chance on the tenth day? :rolleyes:

Do the timeshare people recognize and from amongst the hundreds of people they approach all day? Anyway to they really care. They just recite their spiel.

Mrs Mouse
02-12-2008, 09:15 AM
Do the timeshare people recognize and from amongst the hundreds of people they approach all day? Anyway to they really care. They just recite their spiel.
Actually, thanks for asking, they did recognize us - because they asked us on more than one occassion if we had changed our minds from the previous day.

Regardless, I think you got my point.

Klutch
02-12-2008, 10:46 AM
It's just this kind of thing which convinced Walt Disney to buy thousands of acres in Florida. He didn't want a ring of barkers right outside his park and resorts. Of course, now those barkers are right outside the Disney World Property. You see many "Discount Disney Tickets!" signs. They are for timeshare sales. At least you are safe once on Walt Disney World property.

I was under the impression the city of Anaheim had passed some fairly draconian laws to prevent panhandling and soliciting around the Disneyland Resort. Something must have been keeping them away previously. It's been awhile since I visited, but I saw none of this during my last visit.

Malcon10t
02-12-2008, 11:23 AM
We went to Goofy's last July. As we were leaving, we got hit up in a timeshare type manner for DVC! Right there by Goofy's as you exit by the hotel. I was very surprised.

tnkdyer
02-12-2008, 01:54 PM
We made the unfortunate mistake of taking one of the time-share people up on his offer of 100 Disney dollars a couple of years ago. It was a block-out day for us with our passes, we were moving hotels that day and were staying for about 10 days, so we figured what-the-heck. But it was a TERRIBLE mistake. The hour they told us it would take turned into three hours and they treated us poorly when we turned them down. Never again!

But the DVC people have never been a problem for us. We've always had to approach them. In fact, we like to do pin trading with them and even when we approach them for that, they never ask us if we are interested. We are members of the DVC and we always tell them because they never ask.

Bytebear
02-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Be glad you aren't seeing what is being sold up a few blocks on Harbor! I think her name is Candy! :eek:

azolivas
02-12-2008, 04:53 PM
I always wonder about the little old lady that usually sleeps at the bus stop by the crosswalk by captain kidds. I know she is not a pan handler as I have never seen her beg for money, but I always give her money each time I visit. She reminds me of my grandmother, they look just like each other.

backsthepack
02-13-2008, 04:18 AM
Which kid tried out for American Idol (sadly I work evenings so I never see prime time television). The kid we bought the CD from has a great talent, but it isn't typical "American Idol" talent.

Klutch
02-13-2008, 09:38 AM
My son just released a CD. I'll tell him to head to Harbor Blvd to sell a few to the DL crowds. :cool: (Although, that's a long haul from Seattle.)

Mrs Mouse
02-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Which kid tried out for American Idol (sadly I work evenings so I never see prime time television). The kid we bought the CD from has a great talent, but it isn't typical "American Idol" talent.
He went by the name "J Smoov." We met him last summer selling rap albums with the rest of the group. He was so friendly!

I can't remember what he sand on American Idol, but it wasn't rap. His voice was good, as was his stage presence, but the judges didn't think he was quite ready for the big leagues just yet. I thought he was much better than some of the other folks they sent through, though!

backsthepack
02-14-2008, 03:49 AM
I think it shows a lot for these kids to be out selling their CD's. They could, instead, be out getting into trouble. What safer place to be out there selling than in front of Disneyland? Not to mention the foot traffic. Anyway, I will continue to support those types of kids.

The kid we bought one from was also a rapper. A clean rapper (no offensive language). I believe his name had Freeze in it or something. My kid is asleep so I cannot go rummage through his room to get it right now.

Mrs Mouse
02-14-2008, 09:05 AM
I think it shows a lot for these kids to be out selling their CD's. They could, instead, be out getting into trouble. What safer place to be out there selling than in front of Disneyland? Not to mention the foot traffic. Anyway, I will continue to support those types of kids.

The kid we bought one from was also a rapper. A clean rapper (no offensive language). I believe his name had Freeze in it or something. My kid is asleep so I cannot go rummage through his room to get it right now.

Yes! We met Freeze too! Again, super polite and friendly. He and Smoov have been friends for years, evidently, and are now working together to break into the music world. Can you tell that we talked to them for quite a while? :p

And I agree with you on what this shows about the nature of these kids. I think it certainly does show some responsibility. And also, they weren't pushy about it at all. If someone turned down the CD they didn't get huffy or rude, they simply struck up a conversation with them about their vacation. I honestly hope that they both hit it big some day! :D

Baloo
02-14-2008, 10:11 AM
some of those people selling things are nice and respectful but i think no one should buy anything from them. People should try to avoid giving these people and others the oppurtunity to start using Harbor as a free for all selling place.

CV12Pirate
02-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Yeah, who wants free enterprise or freedom of speach or any of that other stuff.

zombie pirate
02-14-2008, 05:53 PM
People just trying to make a buck on the street, thats life in the big city.

newhdplayer
02-14-2008, 06:40 PM
People just trying to make a buck on the street, thats life in the big city.

I believe that Obama will help them as soon as he's elected.

annieb727
02-14-2008, 08:10 PM
We made the unfortunate mistake of taking one of the time-share people up on his offer of 100 Disney dollars a couple of years ago. It was a block-out day for us with our passes, we were moving hotels that day and were staying for about 10 days, so we figured what-the-heck. But it was a TERRIBLE mistake. The hour they told us it would take turned into three hours and they treated us poorly when we turned them down. Never again!

But the DVC people have never been a problem for us. We've always had to approach them. In fact, we like to do pin trading with them and even when we approach them for that, they never ask us if we are interested. We are members of the DVC and we always tell them because they never ask.

You know...we did that too one time...never again! They even told us that if it goes over an hour we can mention it and they will stop and you can get your money and go. NOT SO! When we did bring it up, they said that we could leave but we wouldn't get the money. SO we stayed. THEN we had to WAIT WAIT WAIT for transportation back down to Disneyland. It was HORRIBLE!!!

Andrew
02-14-2008, 08:16 PM
I believe that Obama will help them as soon as he's elected.
Please keep political discussions in the Lounge.