PDA

View Full Version : Fastpass complaints

Pages : [1] 2

SpaceMTJunkie
08-25-2002, 07:42 AM
Ok, question here. I am always hearing people complaining that fastpass has screwed everything up as far as now having to wait in the standby line too long. So I ask this, why aren't you then using fastpass to avoid waiting in the standby line?

Techie7
08-25-2002, 09:23 AM
While I use fastpass quite extensively I know that it does have its faults. For example some people can not get to the park until after 5:00 or 6:00 at which point fastpasses can be gone for the rest of the night for an attraction (Splash, Soarin, etc). For these people they have no choice but to stand in a standby line that is much longer. Other problems include messing up the queues by having people stand outside in the heat over inside surrounded by themeing (Indy, Roger Rabbit, Star Tours). The one other thing that fastpass changed was much of the years of strategy that people had built up for getting around the park. People knew what times Pirates would slow down. During parades you could get on other attractions faster. With the invention of fastpass people have had to rethink (not that this is a bad thing) the structure and way they visit the park. Fastpass works overall and is a nice addition what many people have stated is that is does not work for all.

rexfarms
08-25-2002, 01:58 PM
How many guests that go to the Parks acutally know how to use FP correctly?

Sailor Butterfly
08-25-2002, 03:07 PM
If I saw people zipping past me in line, and I didn't know why, I'd take it upon myself to find out. But that's just me.

rexfarms
08-25-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Sailor Butterfly
If I saw people zipping past me in line, and I didn't know why, I'd take it upon myself to find out. But that's just me.

But some people are very oblivious at the DLR.

Copper
08-25-2002, 09:40 PM
Yea that's true. It seems most of the people I see don't think anything of it, of course maybe they all know about fastpass, but it's doubtful. Although it seems like theme parks in gerneral are adopting the fastpass idea, so I think more and more people are becoming aware of how the idea works.

DisneylandKid
08-25-2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms

But some people are very oblivious at the DLR. Survival of the fittest...

;)

Sailor Butterfly
08-25-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by rexfarms

But some people are very oblivious at the DLR.

Well, if they're oblivious to it, then they shouldn't have a problem with it. :D

Disney Nick
08-26-2002, 11:17 AM
Fastpass is perfectly fine... Isn't that right innerSpaceman... perfectly fine.... :D

Ghoulish Delight
08-26-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by NMoreles
Fastpass is perfectly fine... Isn't that right innerSpaceman... perfectly fine.... :D Definitely. Why, I'd say it's 23 times better than standby ;)

Not Afraid
08-26-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Definitely. Why, I'd say it's 23 times better than standby ;)
Ignorance is bliss.:)

Disney Nick
08-26-2002, 12:32 PM
LOL :D

HBDisneyPrincess
08-27-2002, 10:07 AM
Here's an interesting situation I've seen happen a few times:

People see other people wizzing by them in the other line (Big Thunder, Splash) ans so they hop into the other line themselves, not realizing it is the fast pass line. Then they get all the way up front and end up losing their original place because they don't have a fast pass.

I've seent his happen twice. I don't know whether to feel sorry for them or to laugh because they were idiots and didn't pay attention. sigh.

RideMax Mark
08-27-2002, 10:22 AM
I still remember when we were visiting the park and ran into a family we knew. Somehow, they were under the impression that they could only get one FP per day! Their first day was miserable, but after they had the system explained to them, things went much better.

I wonder what other misconceptions first-timers have about FP?

Traci
08-27-2002, 10:26 AM
You are allowed more than one fastpass per day, you just can't get another until your ride time on the first is complete. Also it states on the FP what time you are allowed to obtain your next one.

I like fast pass, but I hang around more than I ride rides when I go to DL or DCA.

Bill Catherall
08-27-2002, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by RideMax Mark
I wonder what other misconceptions first-timers have about FP?
Misconception #1: Thinking you can hold more than one FP at a time.

Misconception #2: Not understanding (without carefully examining the FP) when you are "eligible" to pick up another one.

My wife took the kids with her and some other extended family. She partially understood the FP system and kept trying to explain it, but for some reason nobody was getting it. So her uncle, thinking he's got it, grabs everybody's tickets and says he's going to go get some fast passes. He first grabs one for Space Mountain...it's about lunch time on a busy day, so the return time is much later that evening. Then he jumps across the park and tried to get one for Splash Mountain, but of course it isn't giving him one. When he meets up with the group and explains what happens, everybody is upset. Why? Because they just rode Space Mountain and don't want to ride it again...and they think they are locked out of getting any other FP until after the Space Mountain FP matures. Result, they don't use FP for the rest of the day.

My big complaint about the FP machines is that there is no indication on it showing how one should orient the ticket when inserting it into the machine. There needs to be some kind of marking either on the ticket ("This side up" with an arrow), a picture on the machine, or machines that will accept it regardless of orientation. When I was there last February I tried 4 different machines for Pirates before I realized that I had the dang thing backwards.

HBDisneyPrincess
08-27-2002, 10:46 AM
Something else that confuses people is when some of the machines aren't "hooked up" to other machines, for example, at Haunted Mansion and Pirates. I was in line at Splash getting a fast pass and the guy behind me was saying that "this is great, I'm going around getting all my reserved times for rides!"

And someone said to him, "you can only have one FP at a time" or something
and the guy said, "no I don't think so, you can get as many as you want...I have Haunted and Pirates already."

I have feeling this guy was going to be upset when he tried to get another one.

And the other day I was at D CA and a woman was complaining to a CM that she had fast passes to Screamin and would she really have to wait two hours before she could get a Grizzly pass? And the CM said, "Oh you can get a FP here even if you have one someplace else" So the lady went off and said to her husband, " I guess its only at Disneyland where you can get one pass at a time."

I suspect its situations like this that lead people to complain when they can't get other fast passes. First, people don't take the time to read the way the system works (or to ask a CM for help before they screw up and get all upset), then with certain rides being exceptions to rules (and these not posted) it can all be very confusing.

I think the system is easy enough if people would take the time to learn it. It really isn't that complicated.

Ghoulish Delight
08-27-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
My big complaint about the FP machines is that there is no indication on it showing how one should orient the ticket when inserting it into the machine. There needs to be some kind of marking either on the ticket ("This side up" with an arrow), a picture on the machine, or machines that will accept it regardless of orientation. When I was there last February I tried 4 different machines for Pirates before I realized that I had the dang thing backwards. Ummm, there is. There's a little picture showing the barcode facing up, and on the left side. Guess you missed it.

This weekend, we had FPs for Pirates. We enter the FP return line. Ahead of us, I saw a family that was in the distribution area step over the chain and start heading up the return line. I figure they just misread the signs at the entrance and walked into distribution accidentally. We get to the collection point and the CM had to explain that they needed to return at the time printed on the ticket (which happened to be the exact time the electronic sign in front was displaying as the return time). So they had gotten their tickets and thought it meant they could just go right on.

The worst misconception is that many people still think you have to pay for FP.

Bill Catherall
08-27-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Ummm, there is. There's a little picture showing the barcode facing up, and on the left side. Guess you missed it.
There is? On Pirates? If so...D'OH!

RideMax Mark
08-27-2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by HBDisneyPrincess
Something else that confuses people is when some of the machines aren't "hooked up" to other machines, for example, at Haunted Mansion and Pirates.

Of course, let's not complain too loudly about this one! ;)

cstephens
08-27-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
Misconception #1: Thinking you can hold more than one FP at a time.

But that's not really a misconception, because you CAN hold more than one FP at a time now, if you have one of the FPs that are disconnected.

Yes, that just complicates things.

Gemini Cricket
08-27-2002, 11:03 AM
I just had a couple of thoughts.

As soon as everyone figures out what FastPass is, how to get one and how many at a time, there may eventually be huge lines at the Fast Pass machines. The huge competition for getting in line for a favorite ride right away might be replaced by the competition to get to a FP machine asap!

Also, does anyone else get the feeling that they'll be charging for FastPasses soon? It sounds like such a Disney thing to do...

:eek:

cstephens
08-27-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
Also, does anyone else get the feeling that they'll be charging for FastPasses soon? It sounds like such a Disney thing to do...

Not really sure what the last comment is supposed to imply. Other parks are already charging for programs similar to FP.

hbquikcomjamesl
08-27-2002, 11:18 AM
But that's not really a misconception, because you CAN hold more than one FP at a time now, if you have one of the FPs that are disconnected.
. . . or if you've been holding one for (if memory serves correctly) two hours, and it still isn't mature.

Gemini Cricket
08-27-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by cstephens
Not really sure what the last comment is supposed to imply. Other parks are already charging for programs similar to FP.
What I mean is that it feels like they're doing FP now (for free) to see how the system is embraced by the public. As soon as they get feedback that the public likes it and uses it a lot, they start charging us for it.

The fact that other parks are doing it, might ignite the Disney execs to follow suit and do the same.
:)