PDA

View Full Version : Atlantis / Submarine Voyage

Lacrosse Boy
04-25-2001, 08:44 AM
I hear that there’s a good chance that the lagoon will once again be an attraction. Apparently the Atlantis ride may in fact take on full steam. This will be a very high budget ride, and there are many different concepts floating around. One idea is to expand the show building, (don’t ask me how) and allow guests to get out of the ride and visit the city of Atlantis. Once done exploring their surroundings the guests will re-board the submarines and finish the ride. This is a great idea but I highly doubt it will actually happen. Why? Before Tower of Terror opened there were huge elaborate plans for guests to walk through a Twilight Zone land after taking the plunge. Unfortunately, it was deemed too expensive and was quickly axed. Maybe it will happen, but I wouldn’t bet my bowl of Lucky Charms on it. ; )

Napsto
04-30-2001, 04:21 PM
as long as they put atlantis in the lagoon i will be happy!

dgthx
04-30-2001, 07:30 PM
As long as they do something with the lagoon I will be happy.:p

Morrigoon
05-01-2001, 02:34 AM
A few years ago, a friend of mine shared one of the concepts being considered for Atlantis:

Subs would travel through current lagoon, then enter the showbuilding, where at one point it would hit a special bit of track and become a simulator, with images projected onto the portholes. After the Indy-type thrills of the simulator ended, it would seamlessly begin to actually move again and re enter the dock.

If they can do it, that would be remarkable, and a welcome replacement for the beloved (albeit a bit boring) old subs. The only downside I could see here would be parents remembering the subs from their childhoods and accidentally bringing the little ones on it. Anything that gets subs moving through the lagoon again, and doesn't involve losing the lagoon is welcome to me (that lagoon is eye candy - when it's clean)

Gandalf
05-01-2001, 07:52 AM
Does anyone know if the Atlantis attraction would be patterned after the upcoming movie - animated characters and scenes or real characters and scenes ala Indiana Jones?

Napsto
05-05-2001, 10:53 PM
i hope it is mroe real life than coartoon!

dgthx
05-05-2001, 10:59 PM
Same here. Napsto, you must be tired or something.

Ralph Wiggum
05-05-2001, 11:46 PM
(if the atlantis thing doesnt happen)Too bad the lagoon cant be drained..they could use that land for another mountain ride or more buildings for tomorrowland.

Mr D
05-06-2001, 12:03 AM
Perhaps draining the lagoon would be the best thing to do after all I hear that possibly as much as a million gallons of water leaks out into the surrounding soil area every day! Besides what would be fitting for tomorrowland that needed a lagoon? The only thing that comes to my mind is the retro-scifi that actually is not so bad of an idea, Atlantis may be the phoenix bird arising for Tomorrowland if the imagineers go above and beyond the existing technology and create a mega ride to challenge even the new Indy at TDL. IMHO the Autopia should be moved back or redesigned to allow even MORE room for the lagoon to build Atlantis the Adventureland. Using all of the closed ride area of Rocket Rods, Submarine and Autopia would essentially create another "land" within DL a mixture of fantasy and sci-fi, also Innoventions could be used as well, I like it but it really seem more like advertising venue than an experiance and I will always vote for the "experiance" than the thrill of a rollercoaster or a ferris wheel.

dghosthost
05-06-2001, 12:06 AM
I like the lagoon...and hope they don't drain it. It helps make the park more symmetrical...

Morrigoon
05-06-2001, 12:43 AM
Drain the lagoon?

PERISH THE THOUGHT!!!

I *love* the lagoon, in use or not. It's total eye candy. Tomorrowland would be a complete eyesore without it, as it is, it's part eyesore (why did they need to paint space mountain a color that reminds me of the bathrooms underneath it?)

Mad Pixie
05-06-2001, 12:56 AM
Sigh...if it weren't for the stinkin' budget cuts that would be inevitable in this situation, this ride could truly be one of the best things, if not THE best thing at the park. I've gotten a few mental images of what it might look like (of course, since I haven't seen the movie yet I don't have a whole lot to go on), but can you imagine how cool it would be, if they were to put as much painstaking detail into the ride as they did with Indy? So you really felt like you were part of the expedition? (I think after June 15 I'll try to come up with some mock-up of the ride...)

It's a shame to let that whole lagoon go to waste when there's such a perfect idea for a thrill ride staring them in the face.

What I'm really afraid of is, they're going to pinch pennies and make some scaled-back, half-arsed attempt at a ride that goes the way of the Rocket Rods...the very thought makes me ill.

Why don't these guys share Walt's "money is no object" view? Oh...right. :(

Morrigoon
05-06-2001, 01:04 AM
Oh but they do - when it comes to their egos.

They won't spend it up front, but they'll throw MORE money after a problem so it doesn't look like they screwed up.

DisneylandKid
07-14-2001, 12:27 PM
I think it would really like to see a great underwater SFX ride. It would be awesome if they could create cracking windows/mist spraying out in the submarines. It would obviously be themed like Atlantis.

mrfantasmic
07-14-2001, 12:34 PM
Think of the possibilities of an underwater ride!
Remember the scene where the [big lobster machine] chases the huge sub? I can see a bit of an underwater roller coaster in store for us.
But one problem: The size of the show building
That's where the simulator ride would come into play! As you can see this ride, if it is to be successful, would HAVE to have a huge budget!
What do you think the subs should look like?:confused:

DisneyFreak2000
07-14-2001, 12:53 PM
I'm gonna start with a question... I read somewhere that either here or at WDW MK, they would use the lagoon as a base for a new land and flume ride with "Villain Mountain." Does anyone know more about this?

I would like to see a land/attraction like the above (if not in the lagoon somewhere else). If that doesn't (and probably won't) happen, I would like to see a new sub ride in the lagoon but I'm not that fond of the Atlantis theme to it. Part of the reason is (as I've said elsewhere before) I would like to see more rides themed on movies from Mermaid-Mulan.

I think the sub ride should have smaller subs, so they can do more manuevering and to make them fit in with Tommorwland, they can be given a more sleek futuristic look. The ride can be as follows: While in queue guests are informed about these new sleek subs and their abbilitys that just re-defined underwater transportation. Guests board these subs and are strapped in for an underwater trip to the bottom of the ocean. The ride will travel through the lagoon and see the new spectacular AA (cause hey, we've entered the millenium) and then when they enter the show building they realize that something's wrong with the sub. It could seem like they are deteriorating under the pressure/attacked by a sea monster/hit by an underwater obstruction/etc. and have mist spraying in and the sound of breaking glass. Then they engage in the quick ride to the water's surface via a simulator or something similar. Now that would be kewl.

DisneyFreak2000
07-14-2001, 12:56 PM
I was looking at a Disneyland Today from 95 and noticed that the Subs description said... "a trip to the North Pole and back".... It has been a long time since I have ridden this ride, but in the attraction did they make it seem liek you went to the North Pole or was the description attemting to indicate that you travelled a distance.

Mandrake Linux
07-14-2001, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
A few years ago, a friend of mine shared one of the concepts being considered for Atlantis:

Subs would travel through current lagoon, then enter the showbuilding, where at one point it would hit a special bit of track and become a simulator, with images projected onto the portholes. After the Indy-type thrills of the simulator ended, it would seamlessly begin to actually move again and re enter the dock.

If they can do it, that would be remarkable, and a welcome replacement for the beloved (albeit a bit boring) old subs. The only downside I could see here would be parents remembering the subs from their childhoods and accidentally bringing the little ones on it. Anything that gets subs moving through the lagoon again, and doesn't involve losing the lagoon is welcome to me (that lagoon is eye candy - when it's clean)

Imagine how much money they will make and how much more people will come to the park if they did build a ride there.

Mandrake Linux
07-14-2001, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Ralph Wiggum
(if the atlantis thing doesnt happen)Too bad the lagoon cant be drained..they could use that land for another mountain ride or more buildings for tomorrowland.

I'd rather have the lagoon because there is already enough mountains at DL. I'd first drain it until they develop the ride because it is wasting thousands of dollars to keep on filtering the water. I don't think that sinkhole rumor is true because it seemed to be posted on a BB and not on a site. Most BB rumors are false. If a CM can confirm it, it would be great.

Gregmh48
07-14-2001, 09:18 PM
The old DL Subs supposedly took you under the North Pole and back.