PDA

View Full Version : Mardi Gras at Disneyland

dittersdorf
02-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Anything special going on in New Orleans Square for Mardi Gras today? If anyone has visited the park today and has info (or links to pictures) please let me know - I wish I could be there, but, alas, the "real world" has me in its clutches today (i.e. work).

BIRDGIRLS
02-05-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm pretty sure they give away more beads than they usually do. (While the live bands that travel around the New Orleans area are playing/singing.)

olegc
02-05-2008, 02:48 PM
that practice of giving beads away has slowed down now that there are fewer bands in NOS - and it's more of a "show" than simply playing music. Ugh! - that Mambo line that the former Bayou brass members are forced to create/play for guests at the french Market is simply dull. The whole "music" aspect has gone away.

back on topic - disneyland usually does NOTHING out of the ordinary for mardi gras. They have pins for sale but no special menu items, balloons, extra decorations, etc. It's not a big part of the park (even though NOS is such a signature part of the disneyland experience). CMs will sometimes tell you "every day is mardi gras here!" blah blah blah..

The Jazz Kitchen has some extra entertainment in Downtown Disney and I am sure that HOB has some true southern blues bands to celebrate - and that's about it..

cookie7762
02-06-2008, 09:56 AM
that practice of giving beads away has slowed down now that there are fewer bands in NOS - and it's more of a "show" than simply playing music. Ugh! - that Mambo line that the former Bayou brass members are forced to create/play for guests at the french Market is simply dull. The whole "music" aspect has gone away.

to join you off topic...

The music aspect really is missing at DL. In my memories as a child there was always some sort of music in the back ground in every land. Definitely way more live performer. I have home videos from the early 80s that constantly have bands performing to a theme. Sure there are still the dapper dan's, and now the recent addition of the pirate bands, but what happened to all of the musicians and such?

Sarah B in SD
02-06-2008, 10:31 AM
we went for Christmas in 1999 and got really cool beads with an alligator and they say Christmas in New Orleans square, or something. Anyway the band was playing up on the balcony and these 2 ladies started lifting their shirts up, the guys in the band were like, "hey this is Disneyland we don't do that here" My Husband and I still laugh about that!:eek: