PDA

View Full Version : FastPass Suggestion

Pat-n-Eil
08-22-2002, 07:17 AM
I'd like to get MousePlanet users' thoughts on having a FastPass bank of dispensers near the front gate - where you enter. Maybe by the bank.

I was thinking that it would be more enjoyable to be able to choose to get a Splash Mountain fastpass as soon as I get there instead of having to go all the way to Splash Mountain to get the fastpass, then kill the time heading all the way to Space Mountain (or anywhere else).

I think this would alleviate some of the crowding, especially around the Splash & Space mountain queues, and let visitors have even more control of their day.. As a matter of fact, it would be great if this bank included both Disneyland & California Adventure FastPass attractions.

Alternately, convert the FastPass machines to be multi-issue units where you can choose which FastPass you want from any FastPass dispenser..

Since FastPasses are metered and only so many are given out per hour, how could this possibly negatively impact the system?

cstephens
08-22-2002, 07:23 AM
Actually, I think it would be a crowd control nightmare. I've been in FastPass queues where there were 20 or 30 people in line waiting to get a FP for a particular ride. If you had one line for every person who wanted a FP for any ride, I can't imagine how long the line would be, compounded by the fact of how long it would take people who would probably stand there in line in front of the machine trying to decide which attraction to get an FP for.

I also don't want to have to decide as soon as I get into the park which ride I want an FP for. If I go to an attraction and the standby line is longer than I'd like, I'd have to go back to the front of the park to get an FP.

Ghoulish Delight
08-22-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by cstephens

I also don't want to have to decide as soon as I get into the park which ride I want an FP for. If I go to an attraction and the standby line is longer than I'd like, I'd have to go back to the front of the park to get an FP. There's no reason they couldn't have both this central "bank" as well as local distribution. I think it's a good idea. If they have both, then, overall, the crowding at the front wouldn't be TOO bad. Things would be spread out pretty well. The only time I think you'd see a problem is in the mornings when everyone is entering. They'd have to have a clearly visible sign that says "Fastpasses are also available at the individual attractions."

I think I like this idea.

MammaSilva
08-22-2002, 07:34 AM
a great idea, but for a better location why not the area right across from the "standby wait times sign" I can't think of what it used to be but in recent history it was the photo pick up place, then the AP processing center, you guys know the area I'm talking about, just past coke corner on the left, has a big patio area that 'used' to have tables/chairs I don't know if the tables/chairs are there any more.... that way people could check the wait board and decide if they want to walk all the way to splash mountain/pirates/HM and go standby or grab a fast pass and head the other direction towards toontown/TL/FL.... there is a lot of 'unused' space there that would work great and not create a big bottleneck like an area near the bank ....due to that being the stroller/wheelchair tunnel..

hbquikcomjamesl
08-22-2002, 07:35 AM
. . . and it would make the fastpasses for the most popular attractions run out that much more quickly, putting anybody who didn't arrive within the first hour or two of the day at an extreme disadvantage.

I think I like what I did this past July 4th: as soon as I bought my annual Walt's Footsteps tour ticket, I grabbed an Indy fastpass (sure, it gets less crowded at night, but there are certain parts of the queue, like the "closet" with the skeletons, that have no artificial light, and turn into big dark holes at night.), and had breakfast at the River Belle. That gave me time to eat, ride Indy, and get back to Town Square before tour departure. The only thing I would have done differently would have been to book my dinner reservation at the Blue Bayou right then, instead of waiting until after the tour: then maybe I might have gotten an earlier reservation.

coronamouseman
08-22-2002, 10:01 AM
Comments on the suggestion (some of these may have already been covered):

1. Simplicity - current FastPass dispensers require no keypad or other data entry system - this makes the system software requirements much simpler than if random data entry selections were being made

2. Fairness - current system requires guest to be in the vicinity of the attraction to get FP - this rewards those guests who are in the park at the various attractions and also makes it possible for them to access whether or not to get the FastPass based upon current wait times (this situation is a lot more tolerable at DL where you can get from one area to another fairly fast as opposed to WDW MK where it is a hike across the park from BTM and Spl Mt. over to Space Mt.)

3. Logistics - you would have huge lines at the entrance clogging traffic if "all-ride" FP dispensers were there - if such a thing were gonig to possible, better to have it placed over at the old Carnation Gardens near the Main Street hub where proper information on attraction wait times could be posted. STill, idea of FP is to avoid waiting in line - why wait in a line to get the FP in the first place?

4. Need for better information - (not direct FP issue) Why not have signboards with ride wait times in additional locations throughout the park (over by River Belle Terrace or NO train station in FL/NOS/CC; over by Matterhorn entrance in FL; over by Innovations in TL) so that one can decide to get FP, go elsewhere or go standby depending on current conditions - Universal's IOA has multiple wait time boards throughout the park and they help greatly in deciding where to go and when .........

Bill Catherall
08-22-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by coronamouseman
4. Need for better information - (not direct FP issue) Why not have signboards with ride wait times in additional locations throughout the park (over by River Belle Terrace or NO train station in FL/NOS/CC; over by Matterhorn entrance in FL; over by Innovations in TL) so that one can decide to get FP, go elsewhere or go standby depending on current conditions - Universal's IOA has multiple wait time boards throughout the park and they help greatly in deciding where to go and when .........
I don't like this for the following reasons:

It takes away from the show. I don't want to see a sign for Space Mountain in New Orleans Square.

It turns the theme park into an amusement park where the focus is on rides and thrills instead of atmosphere, show, and fun. There's much more to do at Disneyland than just ride rides.

There's a fine line between "better communication" and "advertising." I don't like the idea of Disney posting signs throughout the park "advertising" their rides. I saw and heard this when I went to Paramount's Great America a couple weeks ago and it was tacky.

Pat-n-Eil
08-22-2002, 03:01 PM
Perhaps my idea to have it near the entrance was not the best, but I do like the idea of a central bank. That Carnation area near the Walt/Mickey statue might be a great place, near the wait time information board.

Instead of multiple ticket machines, perhaps we have one or two of each of the machines available in this FastPass bank area. Two splash mountain machines, two space mountain machines, etc..

- or -

Make ALL fastpass machines available for ALL fastpass rides at ALL times.

Scenario: I get my Splash Mountain fast pass. I come back at the beginning of the hour, pick up my Space Mountain (or Soarin' over California) Fast Pass from the Splash Mountain FastPass area, ride the ride and then I can budget my time until my next FastPass.

I've never been to WDW, but I can imagine this would be an even bigger benefit - to families with small children, elderly people who can't walk as fast or far in a day as they used to, anyone.

My logistics may be off, but I really do not think that the central fastpass bank would make fast passes run out faster, I just think it would be convenient.

coronamouseman
08-22-2002, 03:18 PM
BC: Why not have each board in each land done in the theme of that land?

Tomorrowland: Perhaps some kind of "tickertape" LCD display
Fantasyland: Maybe something with cartoon characters running around on a screen changing times for attractions
Frontierland/New Orleans Square: Maybe a wooden board with rotating time blocks

Point here is not to have a tv screen or something obtrusive - simply something that lets the guest make an informed decision about where they want to go

Look - like it or not FastPass is here to stay so at least Disney owes it to the guest to let them have the information to make an informed decision about where they might want to go next to (1) take advantage of Fastpass and (2) to find a short standby line while they are waiting for their in-hand Fastpass to "mature"

MonorailMan
08-22-2002, 03:26 PM
Welcome to MousePad Pat&Eil!

Please check out our Frequently Asked Questions (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=40) for MousePad rules and policies! :)

Also, if you choose to, please post something about yourself in our Introduction Thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4218)

Again, Welcome to MousePad! :)

oregonzooron
08-22-2002, 06:10 PM
Let's not forget that, while we are all very familiar with FastPass, the more casual guest at the park isn't. Making it more complicated (giving too many options) is not going to help them.

On our return to Portland in July, I spoke to a man who had been to the park at the same time we were. He was frustrated that his travel agent hadn't told him about FastPass.

His direct quote: "I would have gladly paid the extra money if I'd known it was available!"

This was at baggage claim in Portland.

I didn't have the heart to tell him...

see you at the zoo

ron

coronamouseman
08-23-2002, 12:44 PM
Hey, that's not a bug - it's a feature!

When does some labor-saving device become so annoying that it no longer saves any labor?

Why does an idea that can be used in a few places become a bad one when used all over?

animegirllover
08-24-2002, 08:59 AM
I could try the Star Tours FastPass because that's a good way to get there for the ride.