PDA

View Full Version : "What's Next" Super Bowl Athlete to Visit Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

motomickey
02-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Monday the 4th at noon, there will be a tickertape parade down Main Street featuring the athlete from the winning Super Bowl team who appears on the "I'm Going to Disneyland" ad after the game on Sunday. Cast members have been told to expect series of events from 10:30-3:30 with the parade and activities in the Dream Suite.

kennythepirate
02-03-2008, 06:43 PM
Say hello to Eli for me! First brothers to win as Quarterbacks and back to back brothers.

Mr.Abominable
02-03-2008, 06:50 PM
It was kind of funny at the end of the game to see a camera guy with a sign that read, "I'm going to Disneyland" trying to get close to Eli. I wonder if he gets in trouble if he is not able to get the shot, maybe Eli is too caught up in the moment to remember to say it. When is the commercial suppose to air? I guess that is the only way to know if they got the shot.

Squeaky
02-03-2008, 09:35 PM
lol I saw that too.... I was waiting for that commercial, but it was not happening! There was so much going on

kennythepirate
02-04-2008, 05:27 AM
Here's the public news release...

GLENDALE, ARIZ. – From the Super Bowl “field of dreams” to the place “where dreams come true,” Super Bowl XLII MVP Eli Manning of the New York Giants Sunday night became the latest sports hero to seal victory by shouting the famous phrase “I’m going to Disneyland!”

The pronouncement, captured on tape at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz., just moments after the Giants’ dramatic 17-14 upset victory over the previously undefeated New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLII, became the latest episode of the “I’m going to Disneyland/I’m going to Disney World” commercial produced over a 22-year span.

Manning led his team on an improbable, 83-yard drive where he scrambled, broke tackles and completed clutch passes before tossing a 13-yard touchdown pass to receiver Plaxico Burress with 35 seconds left in the game.

When the first of the series appeared in 1987 (featuring New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms following his team’s triumph in Super Bowl XXI), the commercial was instantly regarded as a groundbreaking concept – a produced national commercial involving a current event, airing on major networks hours after the event. Since then, the commercial has created a national catchphrase, shouted by people of all ages following moments of great accomplishment.

With Manning’s appearance, the commercial that started with a member of the New York Giants has come full-circle, featuring the latest New York Giants Super Bowl hero.

This latest installment – the 38th in the long-running series – continues in the tradition of airing only hours after the conclusion of Super Bowl XLII.

On Monday, Manning is scheduled to live out another dream – heading to Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, Calif., for a celebratory parade down Main Street, U.S.A. in Disneyland Park. It’s all part of Disney Parks’ Year of A Million Dreams celebration.

Manning’s visit to Disneyland will include a dream-come-true meeting with young football players from the Tustin (Calif.) Pop Warner football team. The Tustin team also will be part of the gala parade down Main Street, U.S.A.

Manning joins a star-studded lineup of sports heroes such as Tom Brady, Emmitt Smith, Michael Jordan, Kurt Warner, Coach Jon Gruden, Joe Montana, John Elway, Jerry Rice, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Doug Williams, Magic Johnson, and Super Bowl XLI winning coach Tony Dungy, who have been featured during the two decades of “I’m going to Disneyland/I’m going to Disney World” commercials.

1tiggerfan
02-04-2008, 09:06 AM
I saw the "going to Disneyland' commercial with Eli this morning during Good Morning America.

Andrew
02-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Huh, I watched all the way through the lame-o post-game show and didn't see the ad. I guess I'll try to catch it tonight.

Niwel
02-04-2008, 10:01 AM
NBC reported that DL has canceled the parade -- gave no reason why...

adriennek
02-04-2008, 10:26 AM
NBC reported that DL has canceled the parade -- gave no reason why...

I just got off the phone with MP Central deep inside DLR (aka AVP's cell phone...)

Eli Manning missed his flight and so the event was cancelled for today.

Adrienne

Lani
02-04-2008, 10:28 AM
Awww man. Don't they charter planes for this kind of stuff? Bah.

AVP
02-04-2008, 11:52 AM
More details:

Eli is booked for a late-night talk show appearance tonight, and so the parade was rescheduled from Noon to 10:30 to accomodate his schedule. Unfortuately I didn't get the memo (literally), and so provided the original schedule in this morning's Park Update.

Media arrived this morning to set up, and Disneyland set up the guest control ropes along the parade route. A little after 9 they began to take them down after receiving word that Manning had cancelled his appearance. The rumors about *why* he did not appear are many, the most common being that he missed his flight due to "weather delays." He did appear at a press conference in Arizona this morning.

I'm waiting for word from Disney as to whether his appearance at Disneyland will be rescheduled for later this week.

The Pop Warner football players who were to have appeared in the parade with him today did get to ride down Main Street as originally scheduled. I was not there to see it, but a CM told me the kids lacked enthusiasm.

AVP

Malcon10t
02-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Huh, I watched all the way through the lame-o post-game show and didn't see the ad. I guess I'll try to catch it tonight.Note: Postgame was on Fox, commercial was on ABC...

Lani
02-04-2008, 12:10 PM
I was not there to see it, but a CM told me the kids lacked enthusiasm.

Hmmm.... that's kind of too bad. That had to be the most exciting Super Bowl I've ever seen. Given that NY was the David to the NE Goliath, it really was a magical dream come true straight out of Disney sports movies like Angels in the Outfield. It was truly a stunning and unexpected surprise--and it made for a jumping up and down screaming at the TV game (at least the fourth quarter).

And Manning makes a great role model for those kids.

bradymacdonald
02-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Eli Manning isn’t “going to Disneyland” just yet.

It turns out the Super Bowl-winning quarterback’s schedule is so jam-packed and the skies over Scottsdale, Arizona, are so crowded with air traffic that Manning could not make it to Anaheim in time for today’s 10:30 a.m. Disneyland parade as previously as planned.

Full story:
http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/?p=1290

— Brady MacDonald / Los Angeles Times theme park blogger

olegc
02-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Eli Manning isn’t “going to Disneyland” just yet.

It turns out the Super Bowl-winning quarterback’s schedule is so jam-packed and the skies over Scottsdale, Arizona, are so crowded with air traffic that Manning could not make it to Anaheim in time for today’s 10:30 a.m. Disneyland parade as previously as planned.

Full story:
http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/?p=1290

— Brady MacDonald / Los Angeles Times theme park blogger

This was AVPs missing memo :p

BTW - I was listening to some sports talk this morning from folks who were on the field - and essentially all media were kept in the tunnels until the game ended (and the 10 second delay on the monitors kicked in) then the media stampeded across the field to get their chance. The "restart" of the last second did not help - so my thought is that it was SUCH a crazy scene for such an exciting game that all bets were off... and the highest bidder would win (in this case more important to be in front of home town crowd than to be at Disneyland)..

motomickey
02-04-2008, 01:13 PM
if it was ME, i would have found the way to be at the park for my parade..heehee

fairyprincessmom
02-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Just saw the commercial on the disney channel! very cute!

motomickey
02-04-2008, 06:25 PM
bummer

Malcon10t
02-04-2008, 06:29 PM
Just saw the commercial on the disney channel! very cute!But he keeps saying "DisneyWORLD".

IdahoMike
02-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Yep, I saw the DisneyWORLD commercial too. Did he even do one for DL?

K & S
02-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Yep, I saw the DisneyWORLD commercial too. Did he even do one for DL?

Since he didn't "go" to Disneyland maybe they pulled it.

Darkbeer
02-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Pretty sure he did a Disneyland version too, but with the election tomorrow, the ads in California on TV are very expensive and hard to find any open slots.

I presume we will see some tomorrow night and Wednesday locally, which should be the Disneyland version.

motomickey
02-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Amid the joyous chaos, Manning smiled into a camera and recorded two TV commercials.

"I'm going to Disneyland!" the Super Bowl MVP proclaimed in a spot for West Coast audiences.

"I'm going to Disney World!" he grinned in the second ad.

Darkbeer
02-05-2008, 09:01 AM
Actually, the Disneyland line is "I'm Going to Disneyland, Baby!". The morning news had the clip, still haven't seen the actual Disneyland commercial (but have seen a few WDW versions).

olegc
02-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Actually, the Disneyland line is "I'm Going to Disneyland, Baby!". The morning news had the clip, still haven't seen the actual Disneyland commercial (but have seen a few WDW versions).

yeah - the LA times reporter got some of their facts partially right...