PDA

View Full Version : Walk in Walt's Question

mandi2728
08-21-2002, 10:14 PM
Ok, we do the upgrade to the Character Breakfast, the kids enjoy it.

But the question is, would the Walt's tour keep a 3/2/1 year old reasonably entertained. And I dont mean occupied 100% just maybe moving and doing enough to keep them not bored. My DH and I would really love to do the tour, but if its gonna be a bore for the kids, I dont wanna pay for it.

What is involved with it?

Thanks!

3IAlienKid
08-21-2002, 11:54 PM
It was very interesting and worth it for my wife and me, but it's basically 3 1/2 hours of standing, walking, and listening to your guide talk. You don't go on any attractions and don't get to go backstage. You really don't go anywhere you couldn't go on your own (except that you get to take the back entrance to the Disney Gallery). I would say it definitely will be boring for most kids, especially that young.

Tlg
08-22-2002, 05:34 AM
I did the tour in November. It's a lot of walking and talking -- extremely interesting for adults, I can't imagine a young child tolerating (let alone enjoying) the tour. Don't waste your money.

tjrj
08-22-2002, 07:34 AM
Must agree with the previous posters. We took the tour when my oldest son was 12 and he really really enjoyed it. Of course, we had made it a pre-trip activity that this time he would get to "know" more about Walt before the trip, so the tour added to what he already knew. My 6 year old while well-behaved on the tour was bored to death. Either wait until the kids are older or when you and your husband visit alone(yeah, I know-like that happens alot).

mandi2728
08-22-2002, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I think we will pass. Maybe in 18 years when we get to go by ourselves we will do it! ROTFL

mad4mky
08-22-2002, 08:47 AM
Hubby and I loved the tour...your little one will hate it...he/she will be bored stiff..

Skip it until you and hubby can go alone and enjoy it...

hbquikcomjamesl
08-22-2002, 09:33 AM
Kids in the low single-digits are definitely too young for the tour, but I think it might interest a geeky teen, or a REALLY geeky older pre-teen.

ksejr1
08-22-2002, 09:23 PM
I'm thinking about taking the tour also. Question is, how much is it? Any AP discount??;)

mikala
08-22-2002, 11:00 PM
I just read on Disneyland's site that it is 16.00 per person (adult), but with the Disney Club, it is 50% off. Not sure if our AP's give a discount or not.

Mikala

SusanP.
08-23-2002, 09:20 AM
No discount for APs, but if you use an American Express card to pay you get half off= $8.

Took this tour last week and enjoyed it. It was our guide's last day, so he was quite talkative! I just wonder if it is different depending on the guide you get, you know, like the Jungle Cruise jokes? Would it be worth taking again for different info?

hbquikcomjamesl
08-23-2002, 09:53 AM
I've taken it every July 4th since its inception, and it's never been the same twice. The general itinerary is the same (except that it only included the Lilly Belle for the first year or so, something to do with a virtually irreplaceable glass lampshade being broken), but different guides emphasize different things, and take it at a different pace, and most enrich the script with things drawn from their own personal experience.

thekirk
08-23-2002, 11:12 PM
You are taking a 3yo, 2yo, and 1yo? Is this correct. You are crazy! Wait until the 1yo is 4 or 5. You will have a way better time. My 1st time was when I was 5, and I don't remember tons of it......its a blur to me (and I'm 16). I strongly suggest you wait until they are older.

mandi2728
08-24-2002, 08:32 AM
thekirk~ I am sorry my trip does not meet your approval:rolleyes:

This will be the 3rd time we have been to Disney in the past year with all 3 kids, and have gone 4 times before that with the older 2.

:rolleyes:

Regardless of your opnion, they have a great time!

adriennek
08-24-2002, 08:43 AM
My children went for the first time when they were 19 days and 17 days old. My older son had his first AP the first time he went after he turned 3. (It was 4 days after his third birthday.) I couldn't possibly have waited until they were 4 or 5, LOL. Matthew could read the DLR map before he was 3 years old. "Matthew, where's....?" He knows his favorite rides and has known them for years.

I would not trade any of it for the world.

Mandi- this theme comes up from time to time on message boards and I've found that some people just don't understand and that's ok. We do. :)

Adrienne K

disneynut
08-24-2002, 11:14 AM
I'm with Adrienne on this one. We got our first ap's when my son was 2 and my daughter wasn't even a thought. My daughter went to DL the first time when she was 2 months old.

DL is wonderful no matter what your age...2, 25, or 90. That is the beauty of the park. Granted it may be easier when the children are older but *nothing* beats seeing your children's eyes sparkle when they see Mickey Mouse for the first time and still believe in the magic of Mickey. I love taking my children to the park at the ages they are now, 2 and 4. And I'm looking forward to taking them when they are 9 and 10. As our family changes, the things we do at DL will change. When my children are grown with children of their own, DL will be a memory I will be able to cherish of my children when they were small.

thekirk...you may want to ask the person who took you to the park for the first time how you enjoyed it. They may say it was difficult being there with a preschooler (it's not easy) but you should also ask them if they remember seeing the expression on your face when you saw this magical place. The memories aren't always for the children, they're for the parents too! :)

thekirk
08-24-2002, 12:56 PM
I can see what you guys are saying. I guess, if I have kids.......I will take them as soon as I can, since I am a Disneyland geek, and can't be away from Disneyland for tooo long.

mandi2728, I had no idea you had already taken your kids.....and your kids are lucky they get to go so often.

May your trip go well, and be filled with magic.