PDA

View Full Version : Please let me know how crowded the Monkees concert at DCA is tonight!

mcampisi
08-21-2002, 06:23 AM
I am going down for the 7:45 show after work tomorrow (gonna leave around 2pm) and I was just curious how crowded it will be and how long I should prepare to stand in line for the evening show. Last time I saw one of the concerts, I had to stand in the back and except for the heat that day, it was fine. I'd just prefer a closer seat this time.

blusilva
08-21-2002, 07:32 AM
I'm going to try to make it out tomorrow night as well. See you there!

KarenW2
08-21-2002, 09:23 AM
We're going up there in a few hours. My DH was able to take a 1/2 day off of work, so that was good. I have a Hallmark Collector's Club meeting tonite at 7pm, so I won't be able to see the second show, :( but we plan to get preferred seating, if available, by enduring the SOB food, to make sure we get some decent seats for the 5:45 show. After that, he'll drop me at my meeting in Villa Park and return to the parks, until he needs to pick me up around 9pm. If he makes the 7:45 show, I'll let you know.

This was the only mini-concert I was interested in, besides the Beach Boys that we decided not to try to see, due to the heat, no shade and huge crowds. We drove all the way up, but came back home. I was never allowed to go to concerts as a kid and the Monkees was my fave group when I was in junior high, so it should be fun, tho somewhat odd, when I figure Davy & Micky are pushing 60, if not possibly past it!! I've seen Davy on ads recently, touting a collection of music hits from the 60's or something and it's kinda sad.

I'll let you know how it goes, whichever show or shows we're able to see between the two of us tonite.

KarenW2
08-21-2002, 10:32 PM
DH wasn't able to get off work as early as planned unfortunately, so we didn't make it up to DCA as early as we had liked. I decided to skip the meeting I had tonite, so we could see the second show of the Monkees at 7:45, when I thought it would be nicer to sit out there anyway, under the moon and stars!

Good thing we did the preferred seating dinner deal, cos the girl said they were SOLD OUT tonite! There was a HUGE crowd standing and waiting way before the 5:45 show and there was a huge crowd for the second show as well! She said she expects the crowds Friday to be even worse than today's!!

Had our SOB dinner, much better than the other two times we'd eaten there (hooray!), and asked several CMs where the Preferred Seating waiting area was. We were told to wait by the signs, next to the trailer or whatever, that said, "CMs only". Sat and waited a very long time and asked other CMs, to make sure we were in the right area, as it didn't seem like it was right. Yes, they said, we were where we were to wait.

Didn't see a very big crowd closer to the 30 min before time they told us to get there by and found out why! The CMs gave us wrong info and there was a HUGE crowd waiting further down the walkway! My DH found a very nice CM, explained the situation, and he walked us down to the front of the line and explained it to the CM there.

We were let in a few minutes later, and were able to get seats in the preferred section, front row of the area on the stage left side, as the front 2 rows of the center section were reserved for others and not available to us.

The music and screaming was HUGELY LOUD, so I was very happy I had my ear plugs with me. I had no problems hearing the music with the ear plugs and my head isn't pounding, like it would've been without them. My DH wasn't so lucky, as he doesn't have any ear plugs and his head is still pounding!

The concert was fun, we had a nice time, with great seats, thanks to the preferred seating dinner deal. I would suggest calling and making a reservation for one of those times now, if you want to guarantee having a good seat for the other shows.

PurpleDove33
08-22-2002, 12:09 AM
I was at the 5:45 show wednesday and it was very crowded. I saw people lining up very early. We went to the first show of BLAST and made our way over to that area and I couldn't believe that people were there around 2:00 for the 5:45 show. We decided to get some pizza and come back and just hang out and chat with the other people in the line. I was thinking about going again on friday, but I think I am going to pass. They did a good job, and I thought the security people were going to freak out, when Davey jumped off the stage and sang walking thru the audiance. Since I am planning on being there also this weekend for the ABC primetime preview weekend,for those of you that are interested, the Who's line is it anyway, will be one show each day inbetween the 12:00 and 2:30 BLAST in the Hyperion. And they said they would be handing out tickets for the show first thing in the morning. At least that is what I was told today. Also as of this friday, they will not be handing out anymore tickets for BLAST. It will be a first come first serve. I am still planing on being there on the last day.

no1here
08-23-2002, 06:50 AM
Last night (Thursday) was also packed with people at DCA for the Monkees. I was caught off guard since I had no problems getting a good spot for America on Tuesday night.

KarenW2
08-23-2002, 07:27 AM
I was shocked by the crowds there on Wednesday night, even waiting to get in for the 5:45 show as we walked past! Lots of screaming kids and their parents in the audience, so maybe the HALF Monkees has a broader appeal to a wider audience than America or some of the other bands?? Also, the ones we sat next to and those around us had already been to the first show, when we were at the second show.

Not sure if they played the same exact set, but it seemed like some of it must've been the same, since the kids were screaming for Micky and his sister Coco to sing "Bye Bye Blackbird", a song they wouldn't have even known about ahead of time, obviously.

Was she part of the show on Thursday night as well, or did you get more of Micky and Davy, a much better choice in my opinion?

merlinjones
08-23-2002, 07:37 AM
>>I was shocked by the crowds there on Wednesday night, even waiting to get in for the 5:45 show as we walked past! Lots of screaming kids and their parents in the audience, so maybe the HALF Monkees has a broader appeal to a wider audience than America or some of the other bands?? <<

The Monkees are in a whole different category from any of the other bands in this series... they aren't just a group, but stars of a continuously rerun television series that has been marketed to new generations through syndication and cable. I'll bet most people under a certain age don't even know who America is... but can sing the Monekees theme or Davy's "Girl" song from "The Brady Bunch".

justagrrl
08-23-2002, 07:58 AM
Funny - we got reports from a friend who attended saying there was NO ONE even in line for Screamin' during the concert. They had a blast going on ride after ride with absolutely no one in line. (they went for the rides - not for the monkey's)

merlinjones
08-23-2002, 08:00 AM
>>They had a blast going on ride after ride with absolutely no one in line. <<

How is this different from usual at DCA?

no1here
08-23-2002, 08:08 AM
Micky and Coco sung again last night too. I saw the Monkees in June at the Galaxy and last year at the House of Blues. The set was the same, the schtick was the same. Still a great show! The DCA set was similar but shorter. I am 26 and definitely was the youngest person singing along at the America show, but with the Monkees I was the average age. Crazy stuff!

justagrrl
08-23-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
>>They had a blast going on ride after ride with absolutely no one in line. <<

How is this different from usual at DCA?

I'm thinking you are being sarcastic but I'll spell it out for you (with a touch of sarcasm right back at you) anyway...

...normally there are people in line you see. Now, the line may not be large sometimes. But oftentimes there's a stand by time of 30 - 45 minutes.

During the Monkey's there was NO ONE in line. They walked right on...over and over.

So - you see - that IS different. People in line vs. no people in line.

:rolleyes: ;) :D

Pooh
08-23-2002, 09:17 AM
We tried to see the Monkees last night. For some of the other concerts, we arrived about 30-45 minutes before the show, got in line, and were able to sit on the concrete steps by the chairs. For thsi, it was as bad as the Beach Boys. I was standing on the concrete around a lamp post and could barely see them.

These concerts were a great idea, but poorly planned. At least they seemed to have realized one mistake, summer concerts in California at 3:45 with no shade? 5:45 and 7:45 were cooler.
Also, DID ANYONE WALK AROUND TO CHECK VIEWING!?!?!?! I've organized many programs, outside and inside, and one of the first things I do is view a rehearsal from many different angles.

My family filled out a complaint form asking them to raise the stage if they do these concerts again. If the stage was higher, people in the back could see. One CM told my dad that it would make the preferred seating view difficult. Two answers to this: 1) This is just another example of money grabbing. I heard you had to spend at least $25 EACH on dinner to get these seats and what about those of us who can't afford it or can't stand the food? 2) My dad informed the CM that we had sat down there about 3 times and the view would still be fine, even if the stage were higher.

SO! How about many others filing a complaint? If you couldn't see, let them know! If enough of us complain, maybe they'll get the point! Complaints can be sent in through the Disneyland web-site, but, better yet, next time you're in the park, go to guest relations and ask for a complaint form.

JBKMC
08-23-2002, 09:55 AM
Now why would anyone have any complaints about a free show? I have taken the time and watched several shows.

Ya the sun was in my eyes once and my view was far once and close once but for me to complain, come on, its a fricken free show.

I have taken the time to thank the powers that be on even having these free shows and will hope that the series continues next summer.

haiderodes
08-23-2002, 10:15 AM
Wed. August 21st I was at DCA and people were lined up for standby as early as 1030 am. By noon the line was up near the Avalon Cove restaurant.

innerSpaceman
08-23-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by JBKMC
Now why would anyone have any complaints about a free show?
Well, us APers may 'think' of DCA as free, but last time I checked they were charging admission to get in the place. And that means that every attraction and entertainment inside is being charged for.

KarenW2
08-23-2002, 01:05 PM
Yes, of course, they do charge an admission price to get into DCA, but I think the point was, there was no ADDITIONAL charge for the mini-concerts!

It was WAY better getting seats via the Preferred Seating dinner method and we wouldn't have even considered it any other way, because of how it was planned! To spend $25 each at SOB was easy, all we got was an entree and a dessert each, to make that amount. And we were able to get our PAP discount as well, so that was good.

We would've had something to eat anyway, at a sit-down restaurant, Storyteller's or somewhere, so it wasn't a big deal to us. It was better and more reasonable than the ridiculously high price they charge for the Fantasmic buffet at DL!!

Neither of us could eat THAT much dessert or drink THAT much in beverages, to make it worth paying that high a price for a 20 minute show! We were very happy to find that the food at SOB was much improved and the choices were better than the other 2 times we'd eaten there.

We were also happy that they listened to previous guests' comments and changed the time for the mini-concerts! The only other one we were interested in was the Beach Boys. We drove up, saw how hot and crowded it was, with no shade and decided to turn around and come back home. It wasn't worth it to us, to see them for such a short amount of time under those conditions.

If they do more concerts in the future, I hope they lengthen the concerts and take people's constructive comments into consideration.

EandCDad
08-23-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by KarenW2
Yes, of course, they do charge an admission price to get into DCA, but I think the point was, there was no ADDITIONAL charge for the mini-concerts!

I haven't been going to the concert series so I can't comment on Pooh's complaints. I've never actually filled out a complaint form on anything, ever. However, the fact that Disney does not charge an additional fee for the concerts does not seem to be a good enough reason not to complain if you have a legitimate complaint.

Disney also does not charge an additional fee to go on Soarin', to see Blast, to ride California Screamin', to use the restrooms, or to sit in the Animation Building. However, I think if you had a complaint about the presentation, facilities, etc. in any of those areas, you should probably make your feelings known.

I think that may have been innerSpaceman's point; although, he can certainly correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally posted by KarenW2
If they do more concerts in the future, I hope they lengthen the concerts and take people's constructive comments into consideration.

That seems to be the intent of Pooh's complaints. To make things better the the next time. Free concert or no.

Pooh
08-23-2002, 08:44 PM
Thank you, EandCDad. I'm glad someone understood. If they had advertised the concerts as small venues that people could buy tickets for and not for the general customers, that would have been okay. However, if their intent was to entertain many of their guests, they have not succeeded.

My family thought the concert series idea was great. We just gave our suggestion as a way to improve it for next year so that more people could enjoy the concerts. It is not enjoyable to stand in the heat on very hot cement trying to peek through people's heads for a quick glimpse.

Speaking of the cement, has anyone noticed that it seems a lot warmer in DCA than Disneyland? The pavement in DCA feels like it gives off more heat than the paving in Disneyland.