PDA

View Full Version : Splash Mountain Question

mandi2728
08-20-2002, 10:42 PM
This is my first post here, so forgive me if I have missed what I am asking about.

What happened with Splash Mountain, to cause its closure, the new flumes, and from what I read, the possible(but not used) height and age restrictions.

Was there an accident? Or just paranoia or prevention?

TIA!

Mandi

Nigel2
08-20-2002, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by mandi2728
This is my first post here, so forgive me if I have missed what I am asking about.

What happened with Splash Mountain, to cause its closure, the new flumes, and from what I read, the possible(but not used) height and age restrictions.

Was there an accident? Or just paranoia or prevention?

TIA!

Mandi

Well there have been accidents in the past at WDW but this was more out of paranoia by the lawyers.

Ghoulish Delight
08-21-2002, 07:32 AM
Initially, at the beginning of the year, Splash was closed for routine maintanance and to install loading gates (hydrolic gates that open and close for each log). The lawyers, in the meantime, prompted by numerous accidents around the park, not necessarily Splash Mountain accidents, began putting pressure for adding restraint systems to the Splash ride vehicles. The systems the lawyers were begging for were, by many accounts, needlessly complex, and even if they were approved would have taken at least a year to implement. Desperate to have this E-ticket open in time for summer crowds, the park made a compromise and created the temporary solution of logs with 5 individual seats with back supports, but no restraint system.

This got the ride open, but left some serious issues. Issue 1 is that the lawyers still aren't completely satisfied with the design. They still want overhead restraints. Issue 2 is that with only 5 people max per log (vs. 8 in the original configuration), the hourly capacity of Splash Mountain has been greatly reduced, leading to the return of the 2-3 hour line not seen since Indy opened. There are also some issues with taller/larger riders not fitting (though those turned out to be less probematic than early rumors indicated).

So once the summer season is over, Splash will be closing again for some more routine maintanance and to (hopefully) put an end to this ride vehicle bickering. It is still undecided what the solution will be. Don't expect it to be quick.

roberts1398
08-21-2002, 07:58 AM
Welcome, Mandi! :D

MonorailMan
08-21-2002, 06:17 PM
Welcome to MousePad mandi2728!

Please check out our Frequently Asked Questions (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=40) for MousePad rules and policies! :)

Also, if you choose to, please post something about yourself in our Introduction Thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4218)

Again, Welcome to MousePad! :)

coronamouseman
08-22-2002, 10:45 AM
Splash Mt. closed because of the Disney reaction to the death that ocurred at Knott's on the Perilous Plunge.

Give Disney credit for addressing the issue prior to anything happening (if indeed anything ever was going to happen)

Interesting to note that Knott's never has changed their log ride - you still simply sit in the log with no restaint system .......

Cadaverous Pallor
08-22-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by coronamouseman
Splash Mt. closed because of the Disney reaction to the death that ocurred at Knott's on the Perilous Plunge.
Ok, I'm sorry, but I have to dispute this assumption. Perilous Plunge is a ride far removed from the basic "log ride" design. It always had restraints and when it opened (I don't know if this is still true) it was the tallest, steepest water drop in the world. These two rides are in two totally different ride classes. It's like saying, "They closed down Matterhorn because Six Flags's "X" is having problems."

As has been pointed out by Al's reports, Splash was originally closed for a scheduled, normal maintenance and only underwent the major changes after the lawyers made demands.

coronamouseman
08-22-2002, 03:24 PM
And when did the lawyers become interested?

After the PP incident ............

Yes, PP is an extremely steep ride which had a lap bar but Splash Mt. is also steep and it had no restraints at all - they are much closer in concept than Knott's Boomerang or Montezuma's Revenge is to the Matterhorn ..............

And to compare rides like Viper or X or Goliath to anything at DLR doesn't make a lot of sense .........