PDA

View Full Version : new years @ DL - What's it like?

byh
08-20-2002, 09:38 PM
I'm spending new years at Disneyland this year with my family and some friends and i was wondering what it's like during this time of year... Like, what kinda stuff goes on for new years and all...

Uncle Dick
08-20-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by byh
I'm spending new years at Disneyland this year with my family and some friends and i was wondering what it's like during this time of year... Like, what kinda stuff goes on for new years and all...
On New Year's Eve, the park is generally open until 2 am, although the place is pretty well cleared out by 1. Before the countdown, CMs pass out noisemakers and party hats at stations all over the park. In past years there have been four different "countdown" locations: it's a small world, Club Buzz, Sleeping Beauty Castle and Rivers of America. Each location features different entertainment (of varying quality) leading up to the big fireworks finale. This is, of course, in addition to all of the standard holiday accoutrements which accompany the park during the season. All in all, the best experience I've ever had at the resort was on December 31, 2000, and I wouldn't hesitate to attend the park on New Year's Eve again. Just don't expect to ride any attractions.

PurpleDove33
08-21-2002, 01:16 AM
Its a lot of fun. But as Uncle Dick said, don't plan on riding to many things, because it is very crowded. This past New Yrs Eve was my first time to spend it at the DLR. We spent most of our time over at Ca Adventure and it wasn't that bad over there. And last yr was kind of cool, because it was the first new yrs eve for that park.

hefferdude
08-21-2002, 11:54 AM
On New Years Eve Day
Its a lot of fun. But as Uncle Dick said, don't plan on riding to many things, because it is very crowded.

Quite true. Knowing what the evening would bring, we went
through most of the major attractions w/ and w/o fastpass
by about noon time. Went back to hotel and took major
down time. Returned to Park. Got excellent seats for the
first fireworks right in the middle of Main Street by the Palace.
After that, 1/2 of us moved to IASW. The other 1/2 went to NOS.
But once there, that was pretty much it. You defiinitely
could not move. NOS had a good band playing from the island stage. IASW was limited to DJ's spinning CD's.:sleep:

The final fireworks were excellent nonetheless. Will do it again
but not for awhile.;)

hbquikcomjamesl
08-21-2002, 01:23 PM
It's a good place for teetotalers (and especially reformers) to spend New Year's Eve, because it's one of the few places (other than, say, a church group broomball party at an ice rink) you can go that evening, and have fun with other stone-cold-sober people.

Years ago, I used to work at the late lamented Costa Mesa Ice Chalet on New Year's Eve, serving as acting manager for a local church's annual skating/broomball party, because nobody above me in the chain of command wanted to spend that entire evening sober. Eventually, though, hosting the church group party got to be old, and seeking someplace else to spend the evening with other sober people, I found Disneyland to be the most obvious choice, and I've been spending New Year's Eve there ever since, including one particularly crowded year (after DCA construction began, but before the M&F structure was open) when I was shunted over to overflow parking at the Anaheim Convention Center (where my PAP was not honored for free parking). When in City Hall to complain about that, I found that a great many others had far worse parking problems at the Convention Center, like having to walk all the way in from the far side of the CC grounds.

Usually, I end up barely making it into the Blue Bayou for dinner before midnight. They're very accommodating about that, letting you step outside for the countdown and fireworks, then return to your table. This last 12/31, if I remember right, they even decided that my prime rib had been sitting out too long, and cut me a fresh slice without additional charge, and without being asked.

Traci
08-21-2002, 03:53 PM
I have spent two separate New Year's at DL. The first one I really enjoyed, this was approx 9 years ago. The second, I did not enjoy, approx 4 years ago. The crowds and pushing people ruined my celebration that evening.

In my opinion, spending New Years at DL twice is it for me. Just like going to the Rose Parade and camping out on New Years Eve. Once was enough.

HowardBeale
08-21-2002, 04:06 PM
Went to Disneylan back in the good old days -- to ring in 1980.

It was crowded, noisy, insane and crowded.

I vowed never to do it again after that.

And I never have.

I'M AS MAD AS HELL!
AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!

Mad Hatter
08-21-2002, 06:58 PM
Corection, Disneyland is open til 3 AM on new years eve,but most folk leave around 1 AM.Have worked the last two NYE's at the park,and get off at 4:15 AM:(

mad4mky
08-21-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by HowardBeale
Went to Disneylan back in the good old days -- to ring in 1980.

It was crowded, noisy, insane and crowded.

I vowed never to do it again after that.

And I never have.

That was the SAME exact year I was there (ringing in 1980!)
AND...I was going to same the same EXACT thing you said. It was so crowded...you couldn't even move...
The only reason I enjoyed the night was because I got engaged that night...
I haven't been back since...and doubt if I will ever do it again.
:(

2CN
08-24-2002, 02:19 AM
I've gone to DL every year for New Years since 1998- except for 2000-2001.. decided to try something differnt.. it sucked- and I can't imagine NOT going to Disneyland for newyears. It is the best thing I've done for newyears. Yea,its crowded.. but it is FUN none the less.

My friends and I, after the fireworks and the countdown, pratically lock arms together and head "upstream" to get away from the mass of crowds tryign to leave.. then from there, we have a fun time with it being so quiet. This year, I'm gonna try and 'drag' even MORE people with us to DL... maybe even splurge and get a hotelroom so we dont have to worry about going home right away.

cemeinke
08-24-2002, 06:41 AM
Iwent last year and had a blast. Expect crowds but also expect a good show by Disney. I hear DCA also had a pretty good New Years Celebration, but becasue of the crowds I did not venture across the esplanade.

You might want to check out some of the accounts of last years event here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856&highlight=new+years+fireworks) .

WizKidRyan
08-24-2002, 08:36 PM
Oh my gosh :)
New years at Disneyland was *awesome*
Sure it was packed beyond belief, but the atmosphere was absolutely amazing. Believe it or not tho, I wish I had stayed at DCA for the countdown. The entire park (DCA) was like a night club. Rock music played along the parade route, Condor flats had DJs spinning techno. Absolutely amazing.
Would I do it again? In a heart beat