PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Food and Wine Festival

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

cstephens
01-28-2008, 10:49 AM
I saw this thread and read the article. (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=90658) I've really enjoyed the offerings the last two years.

I saw the "Taste Wine Like an Expert" class being offered by Michael Jordan. I've sent that link to the husband because I think he might be interested in that.

It looks like they're doing the "Taste" event again this year, but it reads like it's open to all guests rather than just APs like last year. We loved the event last year, but I think it worked well partly because of the more intimate nature of the event. I'm wondering how this year's event will go - I'll see if they release any more info before we decide whether or not to go.

Hmmm, guess I ought to get that "Taste" review done soon...

Andrew
01-28-2008, 10:54 AM
The dates were just announced: Friday, April 11 through Monday, May 5.

Drince88
01-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Yea! We'll be able to at least do the Marketplace stuff on our 'during our pre MA research!'

Are there THAT many non-APs that would have done Taste last year if it hadn't been just APs?

Christyvoltron
02-07-2008, 10:51 AM
The ticket to get into the park would be a huge additional cost to a non-AP. Unless they just happened to be there that day. But last year all the really cool stuff was sold out on the day of the event. In any event, we're going to try and go as much stuff as we can -- it was all a great time!

Toocherie
02-08-2008, 11:19 AM
How fast do food and wine events sell out generally? (Hopefully not like MouseAdventure!)

Drince88
02-08-2008, 11:37 AM
I think it depends on the event. My sister and I did one of the Festival Receptions last year - and I don't think it sold out immediately, but I think some of the cooking schools may have been on the first day.

I haven't checked recently, but I hope they publish the info about what's available BEFORE they go on sale (which is Feb 15th), so informed decisions about what to do can be made. I'm only in town over one weekend (and Sunday is already fully fully booked up with MouseAdventure!), so I'd like to be able to contemplate the different items.

For the 'no sign up, no additional cost' things (like some of the wine tastings and cooking demos), the earlier in the day, the closer you can cut it to the actual time and still make it in. Friday morning was clearly MUCH better than Saturday afternoon!

Christyvoltron
02-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Last year it took a couple of weeks for most things to start selling out. But the fee based things are definitely on the expensive side. Cooking school last year was $350. Each. I just hope it doesn't go really fast like the candlelight processional. I think my hands are still shaking from trying to book that event.

pdanna
02-10-2008, 07:57 PM
How do you know when the tickets for the wine tasting class and the reception go on sale.?

Drince88
02-10-2008, 07:59 PM
How do you know when the tickets for the wine tasting class and the reception go on sale.?

The date was in the press release.

pdanna
02-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks... love your cat pix... we attended the wine tasting seminar and reception last year... bought tickets that morning but I want to get advanced tickets this year... I can't seem to find any info on it at the Disney web site... only through MousePlanet... wish I could get a complete listing of everything they are offering... thanks again!

Drince88
02-10-2008, 08:08 PM
I agree about posting detailed information ahead of time. If you go to the F&W Weekend page on the Disneyland site, it doesn't even have the dates for 2008 up yet. But that's the way they used to do it for the F&W Festival in Epcot - not release details officially until the morning that events go on sale.:rolleyes:

(And thanks re my avatar! He's a real sweety, when he feels like it!)

Toocherie
02-15-2008, 08:06 AM
What time will DLR post the info on the food and wine weekends today? Does anyone know (or care to speculate)?

Drince88
02-15-2008, 08:11 AM
I don't know - (And I merged your thread with the existing thread about the event.)

One thing that I noticed recently was that they weren't calling it Food & Wine WEEKENDS - but were implying that there would be stuff going on all the time. Probably not the signature events - but maybe at least the marketplace and some of the demonstrations/wine/beer tastings. That would be nice, since I get in on a Thursday afternoon, to be able to go over there and graze for dinner!

ETA: You'd think 9am local time would be the latest that they'd flip a switch like this. Sheesh, Disney!

Toocherie
02-15-2008, 08:18 AM
I know--I checked at 8:30 and I just checked again--aarrrggghhhh!

That would be cool if there was stuff all the time--since I am so close it would be nice to be able to leave work an hour or two early and run over . . .

Christyvoltron
02-15-2008, 08:24 AM
We asked last night at the Napa Rose and they said that they thought the registration was in March. So who knows. I just wish they would go live already. I want to make my resos.

Christyvoltron
02-15-2008, 09:03 AM
They are up.

Drince88
02-15-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks!

Here's the link (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/specialEvents/detail?name=FoodWineLandingPage) to the general page of information, so you don't have to go searching for it.

For what it's worth, my sister and I really enjoyed the reception we did last year ($55) - and I thought we got our money's worth on both food and wine.

I think it'd be a lot of fun to do with a group of people. They didn't have any chairs, but did have tall tables -but to this New Orleanian, they could have had a few more outdoor heaters going (I'd forgotten how much it cools down after the sun sets).

Toocherie
02-15-2008, 09:22 AM
Agreed it would be fun to do something as a group . . .

Toocherie
02-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Hmmmm . . . looking at the list of events, were you at the Festival Wine Reception? If so, they have one on both Friday the 11th and Saturday the 12th. I recently did the special seating thing at the same location for the electrical parade and it was great! (and great champagne!)

Would the 11th be better because of having to get up early on the 13th for MouseAdventure?

KarenW2
02-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Wow! Each year, the fee for the Cooking School experience goes up! Has anyone here done the event and was it worth the price you paid?

It says you get a Napa Rose Cooking School chef's coat - is it a good quality chef's coat, like you'd have, if you were actually working in a restaurant? A couple of years ago, I purchased a "real" chef's coat, as a gift for my hubby's birthday and he loves to wear it when he cooks! If we're paying $400 pp, I would hope it would be a decent one, that would last being worn and washed a few times.

How many courses is the lunch the class is "creating"? If you've done the class more than once, has it been the same menu each time? What techniques did you learn in the class?

Many thanks in advance for any info you can give me on this!

Christyvoltron
02-15-2008, 03:13 PM
We have been the last two years. The first year we didn't get the chef's coat but last year we did. The coat is really nice -- like a professional coat -- and it says Napa Rose Cooking School on the front -- we were hoping it would have our name, but it didn't. But it is a very nice coat. It was a little stiff though. The first year we made -- I will try and remember -- the lobster martini, the mushroom bisque soup, beef short ribs and creme brulee for dessert. For which they let us use the blow torch. And when we sat down they served the food with the appropriate wines and it was a complete meal. Delicious!! And they give you the recipes (top secret) for everything. Last year I think we had a green salad which was demonstrated and then we made the scallops with the vanilla sauce, I think it was lamb and then cobbler for dessert. Again with the appropriate and delicious wines. It's fun to stand in the kitchen and cook and all the chefs are there and they help and as to value, obviously I think it is worth every penny. They can't have you do everything because of the time factor but it is interesting to find out where they get their supplies and which salt they think is best and where they get their cheese. The first year we also worked on some knife skills. Last year we worked on getting the vanilla paste out of the bean. And other fun things like cooking and making sauce and how to reduce wine and things like that. We have always had a great time, you get to interact with the chefs on a very personal level and when I go to the Napa Rose now they always tell me that I can help out if they have a scallop emergency. I agree that the price is really steep but we have a wonderful time and I would highly recommend the experience. And yes we signed up to go again this year.

Toocherie
02-18-2008, 03:58 PM
Bumping this thread--are any other MousePadders planning to go to the Festival Wine event on either the 11th or 12th?

rfaljean
02-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I enrolled my husband for the Napa Rose Cooking School last year... he was an aspiring chef who had loved dinner at the Napa Rose in December of 2005. He loved it. He enjoyed every aspect of the cooking school. For his birthday July birthday last year, I took the chef jacket and had is name embroidered on it. If I could pull it off financially, I do it for him again in a heartbeat. He has since graduated culinary school and is officially a chef.

Drince88
02-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Bumping this thread--are any other MousePadders planning to go to the Festival Wine event on either the 11th or 12th?

We (my sister and I) decided to not do any signature events this year. We'll still do some of the free demos and FOR SURE stop by the marketplace.

disney_leonard
03-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Today is the first day for online registration. The Napa Rose schools are now sold out. (I was quick enough to grab a spot!)